Hamilton Academical VS Motherwell

Remember that day when some mob gave us £400k for Ben Heneghan, and then later on that day another mob gave us Peter Hartley on loan?

Amazing. The big man was, once again, superb at the back. The fact he chipped in with yet another goal is even better.

The interview he did during the week was outstanding. Having a centre half just casually chipping in with goals on a regular basis is magic.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kipre is fucking class as well, by the way.
I thought Motherwell were really good in the first half, but were happy to surrender the ball a bit more in the second. I think they’re gonna have a great season.
Us on the other hand? Not so well.

2-1 going on about 5 or 6, defence an Omnishambles yet again.

Gogic is horrendous but gets a free ride from a lot of fans after the performance vs United in the playoffs. McMann gets let off since he came through the youth system. Bad days when that defensive performance makes you miss Sarris.

Yet Carson had 2 good saves in the 1st half, we had a decent penalty shout and Boyd missed a sitter at the end. Cant remember Fulton having much to do -thankfully.

Signing Peter Hartley has to be one of the best pieces of business the club has done in the transfer market in years. A solid, no nonsense defender who does his job calmly and chips in with goals up the other end.

We weren't great today but we did enough to deservedly win a scrappy match against a side determined to slow the game down. I thought Bowman put in an excellent shift even if he did miss a sitter late on, his workrate was great.

Another excellent three points.

Yet Carson had 2 good saves in the 1st half, we had a decent penalty shout and Boyd missed a sitter at the end. Cant remember Fulton having much to do -thankfully.

Us having a couple of half-chances doesn’t negate the fact that the defence is woeful. Was Boyd’s after Rojano’s cross? If so, I wouldn’t class it as a sitter.
Fulton didn’t have many saves, but he and the defence were all at sea for every set-piece/cross.

Dear oh dear oh dear, today I have after yesterday's revelation a fear for both the short and long term future of the club , to play 5 at the back in the first half 4 of them standing 6ft or over it is an incredible accomplishment that when these 4 players jump to contest an Ariel ball they shrink to about 3ft , our aptitude at defending any form of attacking play is poor , but when we are defending set-plays there is not a word in the dictionary suitable to describe our teams attempts to carry out this task . If we are to have any chance of surviving this campaign and retaining our place in the top tier of Scottish football we somehow need to source and acquire the services of defensive players who understand the basics of defending, I have supported the manager as much as humanly possible but surely his time is up, I understand the lack of quality and financial constraints that he works under, but for a team under his charge bearing in mind his defensive capabilities cannot even do basic defensive duties it's time for him to vacate his post.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Donati was defo playing midfield but what ever gets you through the day.

We shall agree to disagree but if you class Donati as playing in midfield I must have been watching a different game , he never detached himself more than 5 yards from the centre backs in a 4-1-3-2 formation he played as what used to be classed as a progressive sweeper , someone who was used as a protective shield in advance of the centre back pairing and not as a more standard withdrawn behind the centre back pairing sweeper , this was regarded as a back 5 in any coaching sessions I have taken part in.

People go on and on about our strikers, but our defence is absolute dug meat. It will see us relegated unless something drastic changes.
The amount of chaos simple cross balls and corners cause us every fucking game is beyond belief. Maddening to watch.
Fulton is murder. As is McMann, but he'll get the Gillespie style easy ride as he's 'one of our own'.
Biabi looks handy and at least we know Rojano exists. Probably a haddy, but still.
Hopefully the details of the missing cash comes out soon as I'll struggle to care much about results until we know exactly how deep the shite we're in is.

Completely agree about McMann, but I will defend him by saying he’s been playing out of position all season.
I thought Rojano actually looked alright. Buzzed about a lot and his movement, especially for the cross late in the game, was good.

34 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Wasn’t impressed with either side to be fair. Few decent individual performances in the Motherwell side but the quality was quite poor.

I thought this had taken over Airdrie vs Motherwell as the “Lanarkshire derby” but there was no venom or edge to the game with the fans either.

Most entertaining thing was that group of absolute weapons in the accies end that seem to want to try and pass them selves off as some kind of firm emoji23.png bet the rest of the accies fans cringe at them. emoji23.png

Craig Thompson is an abysmal ref.

An Airdrie fan not impressed with 2 SPFL sides. Irony not lost on me. 

I would not judge any sides footballing ability on that abomination of a pitch. That is me being polite. It has no place in Scottish football let alone the top flight. 

We do agree on one thing. Thompson is a fkin awful referee. 

Take the 3 points at a venue we have had more difficult games than easy ones. 

I have never seen a good game on that pitch and because the ball takes high and straight bounces, players tend to get rid a bit quicker.  Speaking to some Accies fans pre-match today, they pointed out their best performances this season have been at Easter Road and Perth.  We certainly were not at the level we have been at in some other games.  

But for all that I thought we thoroughly deserved our win.  Every set play Cadden put in caused a crisis and Bowman and Moult had a couple of good chances early on and Bowman of course had the sitter at the death.  Accies had a couple of moments and could easily have nicked a draw from one of them but it would have been more than they deserved.  

Still can't believe the players we have on the bench every week, always seem to be able to bring on someone to make a positive change this year.

Hartley is an unbelievable centre half - won absolutely everything, wee clever clearance off the line and popped up with the winner.  He'll do for me.

Over the piece we deserved to win, and truth be told it ought to have been by a far larger margin.  The pitch had a huge bearing on the nature of the game and I feel genuinely sorry for Accies fans having to enndure that type of football week in and week out.  Credit to Accies though they battled well and gave our midfield as hard a time as we've had all season and for parts of the game we struggled.  

Once agin Andy Rose and Peter Hartley showed their worth.   

13 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Wasn’t impressed with either side to be fair. Few decent individual performances in the Motherwell side but the quality was quite poor.

I thought this had taken over Airdrie vs Motherwell as the “Lanarkshire derby” but there was no venom or edge to the game with the fans either.

Most entertaining thing was that group of absolute weapons in the accies end that seem to want to try and pass them selves off as some kind of firm emoji23.png bet the rest of the accies fans cringe at them. emoji23.png

I got the impression that for Motherwell fans and players alike, this was just a game to get through, with all eyes on next weeks semi final.

Game was played in long spells in near silence and Accies dafty crew gets smaller every time we are over there.

The fixture can still have edge, last seasons last minute Louis Moult goal was a truly great moment, but yesterdays match was, 3 points apart, a bit of a wash out.

Apart from going behind early totally against the run of play, this was nothing more than a straight forward win on the worst footballing surface in Scottish football. Felt that for well fans and players alike this was nothing more than getting this game won and out the road. Special mention for those wee fannies in the corner of the main stand. There antics remind me of being at primary school when we used to play british bulldog. Even the police down in front of them were pissing themselves laughing. As for the 40somethings hanging around with them, you are just f***ing embarrassing.

Most entertaining thing was that group of absolute weapons in the accies end that seem to want to try and pass them selves off as some kind of firm [emoji23] bet the rest of the accies fans cringe at them. [emoji23]

The Accies Young Team would batter your young team.

Archived