c***s on the road

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Where there are two lanes of traffic going in the same direction it is extremely silly/dangerous to (a) "flash" somebody on (b) "flashee" to go on

Absolutely agreed. It wasn’t me who flashed, and I would never flash in that situation. I rarely flash anyone, will sometimes flash for someone merging on to a motorway, but very rarely apart from that. 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Absolutely agreed. It wasn’t me who flashed, and I would never flash in that situation. I rarely flash anyone, will sometimes flash for someone merging on to a motorway, but very rarely apart from that. 

I think your original post makes it perfectly clear you weren't flashing, I certainly wouldn't flash in those circumstances either. Recipe for disaster, that sort of carry on.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 02/12/2020 at 07:22, Academically Deficient said:
Those who drive the M74 eastbound through Glasgow, you may know the short merge section with the M8.
You've got maybe a mile to decide "am I going to Lanarkshire or into the city centre"? . Loads of time.
The number of total @rseholes who wait to the very last minute to switch, cross over the fuckin chevrons, and into the 74 is unbelievable. Happened to me again last night. 
Having to slam the brakes on at 60mph on a motorway, when there is about 100m of empty road behind me that they could have used is a tad irritating.
20201202_071257.thumb.jpg.7f469a22e558585760c2df211b22e26f.jpg

Closest I've come to crashing for years was at that bit earlier on this year, and it was a private hire taxi that did the honours exactly as you describe. Thing is, I was driving an 18 ton council gritter, it was about 2.30 am, and we were the only two vehicles on the whole stretch of road. I just about had kittens trying to slow down and keep the gritter under control, while the fucker driving the taxi battered on completely oblivious to what was going on behind him.

That's the main reason I don't use Uber etc. There's the gig economy aspect of it but the main reason is the cnuts are the worst drivers on the road in my experience.

Thank you. This kind of overly considerate driving does my head in.

The wee town I live in has a very narrow and twisty main street. It's effectively a long series of Passing Places which has turned into a nightmare world of cars stopping and having a friendly "no after you my good neighbour" stand-off until one guiltily goes through first. Ned Flanders driving school. Grrr.
It does my tits in. Be courteous when theres a need and when its convenient, like letting someone out when you are stationary once the traffic starts again etc. But to stop flowing traffic so that you can wave someone out etc or when they are going to get their turn anyway is fucking stupid.

Drivers sitting behind you as you both travel along a slip road joining a dual carriageway or motorway, who absolutely HAVE to get to the outside lane the minute they merge on, wether the inside lane is clear or not, really fascinate me. I’ve lost count of the number of times this has happened to me where the outside lane is crawling along and the inside lane is clear, and the driver flies out behind you and overtakes only to end up sitting behind a row of cars and I end up passing them about 10 seconds later. 

On 02/12/2020 at 07:22, Academically Deficient said:

Those who drive the M74 eastbound through Glasgow, you may know the short merge section with the M8.

You've got maybe a mile to decide "am I going to Lanarkshire or into the city centre"? . Loads of time.

The number of total @rseholes who wait to the very last minute to switch, cross over the fuckin chevrons, and into the 74 is unbelievable. Happened to me again last night. 

Having to slam the brakes on at 60mph on a motorway, when there is about 100m of empty road behind me that they could have used is a tad irritating.

There's no excuse if the signage is clear, but if it isn't, it's easy forget on a road you commute on every day that not every driver will know it as well as you do, so you have to be prepared for anything. I've no idea what that stretch is like though. I'm not trying to excuse the behaviour above though, whatever the signage is like.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's no excuse if the signage is clear, but if it isn't, it's easy forget on a road you commute on every day that not every driver will know it as well as you do, so you have to be prepared for anything. I've no idea what that stretch is like though. I'm not trying to excuse the behaviour above though, whatever the signage is like.

The signage is fine. It's a relatively new road, so well up to scratch.

And i am prepared for it now, cos it happens so often 😄

Even if you make an erse of it and take the wrong exit, you can just rejoin about 2 minutes later at the next junction, so I assume it's due to people being distracted by phones, chat etc.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it’s the same bit I’m thinking of the signage is very clear on that stretch of road, if I remember correctly it has M74 Carlisle on the left, with the solid line above the left hand lane as far back as Asda Govan. On the 2 right hand lanes it’s M8/City Centre/Edinburgh etc. 

Although it wouldn’t matter if the signage was written in Swahili, crossing over chevrons to make your cut off is absolutely crazy behaviour. How anyone could possibly think that is a reasonable thing to do is beyond me, if you miss the cut off travel the way you were going and soon enough there will be somewhere you can get off and come back in the opposite direction. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

12 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Even if you make an erse of it and take the wrong exit, you can just rejoin about 2 minutes later at the next junction, so I assume it's due to people being distracted by phones, chat etc.

Could be that some drivers new to it are relying on out of date satnavs then. I had a nightmare trying to get to the East of Edinburgh from Inverness, stupidly relying on my ancient satnav which had me sinking in middle of the Firth of Forth when on the new bridge and of course it had no idea of the new road layout which involves following the signs for Glasgow for a bit which is counterintuitive. Swore since to go old fashioned and give maps a good read before setting off. Satnavs make people lazy at checking the signage too.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

How new is that stretch of road?  I’ve been driving for about 8 years and I can’t ever remember it not being there. Was it only built once the M74 was finished? 

Drivers sitting behind you as you both travel along a slip road joining a dual carriageway or motorway, who absolutely HAVE to get to the outside lane the minute they merge on, wether the inside lane is clear or not, really fascinate me. I’ve lost count of the number of times this has happened to me where the outside lane is crawling along and the inside lane is clear, and the driver flies out behind you and overtakes only to end up sitting behind a row of cars and I end up passing them about 10 seconds later. 
Had a rant about this before but when c**t behind you, when you are both behind a slow moving vehicle on the slip road, meaning you are obviously going to want to overtake it when you get on, then the p***k behind steams out from behind you boxing you in behind the slow moving vehicle.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
33 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Had a rant about this before but when c**t behind you, when you are both behind a slow moving vehicle on the slip road, meaning you are obviously going to want to overtake it when you get on, then the p***k behind steams out from behind you boxing you in behind the slow moving vehicle.

Aye that’s the exact sort of behaviour I’m on about. You get the odd guy who will pull out and flash his lights, but that’s rare. When I’m merging on to a motorway no matter the speed of the vehicle in front, I will always spend 20 or 30 seconds in the inside lane first and if it’s moving along nicely I will stay there. If I end up coming up behind a lorry I will overtake it. Some people just NEED to be in the outside lane, wether they are overtaking another car or not. 

24 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

It's the only driving advice I gave my son. Don't panic if you take the wrong turn off or in the wrong lane, there's always a chance to rejoin, move over, turn back or just go a different route. It's better that than wipe himself and dozens of others out making a hurried decision.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

How new is that stretch of road?  I’ve been driving for about 8 years and I can’t ever remember it not being there. Was it only built once the M74 was finished? 

I think the M74 was completed around 2006 maybe? Before then you had to go over the Kingston Bridge or on local roads. It was great when it opened. People didn't seem to know about it and you felt like you had your own personal motorway. For a few months anyway.

Just now, Academically Deficient said:

I think the M74 was completed around 2006 maybe? Before then you had to go over the Kingston Bridge or on local roads. It was great when it opened. People didn't seem to know about it and you felt like you had your own personal motorway. For a few months anyway.

Genuinely didn’t know that. So the cut off down to Kinning Park and the Quay have only been there from 2006? 

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could be that some drivers new to it are relying on out of date satnavs then. I had a nightmare trying to get to the East of Edinburgh from Inverness, stupidly relying on my ancient satnav which had me sinking in middle of the Firth of Forth when on the new bridge and of course it had no idea of the new road layout which involves following the signs for Glasgow for a bit which is counterintuitive. Swore since to go old fashioned and give maps a good read before setting off. Satnavs make people lazy at checking the signage too.

Aye, could be. I never considered over-reliance on satnav cos I'm so old-fashioned. I look at a map before I leave, and read the signs on route.

I still get lost though.

Just now, Academically Deficient said:

Aye, could be. I never considered over-reliance on satnav cos I'm so old-fashioned. I look at a map before I leave, and read the signs on route.

I still get lost though.

I usually look at Google maps before travelling to a new location which is often a weekly thing given my job.

That said I still rely heavily on the satnav.  I think it is one of the best inventions ever and I’m astounded by its accuracy.

52 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I still get lost though.

50 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I usually look at Google maps before travelling to a new location which is often a weekly thing given my job.

That said I still rely heavily on the satnav.  I think it is one of the best inventions ever and I’m astounded by its accuracy.

got a car with a built in touchscreen that you can use to connect to your phone for google maps in the last few months and it's fantastic, yeah.

agree on the roadsigns too, did that quite naturally on the way back with it I'm pleased to say (pretty easy thing, the maps feature tells you the name of the road you're looking for and then you follow the signage/road markings, though I do wonder how easy it is to fall into a trap of thinking the satnav will handhold you through every single step you need to take) but even just going by the curvature of the route on the map for any hairpin junctions is surprisingly accurate.

I can mind my old tomtom going haywire around the Govan underground stop because it was outdated, kept telling me to take exits at roundabouts etc. that weren't there! Think there's all the bus lanes that are strictly for buses only in that area which might have been a recentish change to the road layout.