c***s on the road

4 hours ago, sophia said:

We travelled south on the A82 yesterday and saw life itself drift away.

As we overtook, the previously dawdling driver closed the gap to the campervan and caused a scenario fraught with risk. On this occasion the only consequence was bewilderment.

A few minutes further south the traffic halted, in the distance there was CPR and a rescue helicopter landing. Expertise and emergency responses were ineffective and the motorcycle rider lost his life.

As we abandoned our journey and turned northwards I dwelled upon the juxtaposition of the two incidents and the very different outcomes.

Is anybody else reading this in Alan Bennett's voice?

Peoples thoughts on who is the c**t when you and a car behind you are both filling up fuel at the same time, both pay at the pump and get back in your car at the same time but the car behind you just decides he’s going to speed around you anyway to get out the petrol station before you.

To confirm there was no dittering about being done by me in front of him got in the car switched my engine on went to pull away and he was already side on with me.

i don't mind that but I do love going round someone at the back pump and reversing back onto the front pump when they're mid-fill up.  A glorious rage-inducing thing.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

i don't mind that but I do love going round someone at the back pump and reversing back onto the front pump when they're mid-fill up.  A glorious rage-inducing thing.

I would never even think about doing that. It certainly screams of impatience. 

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I would never even think about doing that. It certainly screams of impatience. 

So you would just ignore a free petrol pump that you could easily access?  Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So you would just ignore a free petrol pump that you could easily access?  Fair enough.

Yeah I would just wait until the back pump was free and then drive to front.

Just now, throbber said:

Yeah I would just wait until the back pump was free and then drive to front.

That's the reason you get queues at petrol stations.  Folk like you refusing to drive around someone to the pump not in use.

15 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Peoples thoughts on who is the c**t when you and a car behind you are both filling up fuel at the same time, both pay at the pump and get back in your car at the same time but the car behind you just decides he’s going to speed around you anyway to get out the petrol station before you.

To confirm there was no dittering about being done by me in front of him got in the car switched my engine on went to pull away and he was already side on with me.

F1 rules apply in petrol stations IMO. Sounds like he was quicker than you on the pit stop, just need to be faster next time. 

I''m not sure if I posted it on here, but over a month ago I has hit by a car which was on the wrong side of the road. I was driving a motorcycle with my son on the back at the time. Cuts n bruises for both, but the motorcycle was/is f**k (looked at the time).  I was taken to hospital with my son before the police got involved.

1 month later, the driver of the car has not reported the accident with his insurance.

On Monday I was told to go to the police station of the district of accident happened. Not my district and also not his (he came from Bangkok).

On arrival, the insurance companies of both were in present with a police officer. I asked 'what going on?'

They said 'the driver of the car is in dispute of what happened, and we are here to sort it all out NOW' Great Thai style.

He never turned up!!!

Police signed it off as him being a c**t. Told my insurance to fix my bike, his insurance to pay for it and if he doesn't comply with them, they will give him a wee visit. 

Also medical costs.

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I''m not sure if I posted it on here, but over a month ago I has hit by a car which was on the wrong side of the road. I was driving a motorcycle with my son on the back at the time. Cuts n bruises for both, but the motorcycle was/is f**k (looked at the time).  I was taken to hospital with my son before the police got involved.

1 month later, the driver of the car has not reported the accident with his insurance.

On Monday I was told to go to the police station of the district of accident happened. Not my district and also not his (he came from Bangkok).

On arrival, the insurance companies of both were in present with a police officer. I asked 'what going on?'

They said 'the driver of the car is in dispute of what happened, and we are here to sort it all out NOW' Great Thai style.

He never turned up!!!

Police signed it off as him being a c**t. Told my insurance to fix my bike, his insurance to pay for it and if he doesn't comply with them, they will give him a wee visit. 

Also medical costs.

You're lucky - the unwritten rule in the Philippines is that the foreigner is at fault by default i.e. if you weren't here the accident wouldn't have happened.  There are always plenty of folk willing to be eye witnesses in the even of an accident, even if the accident happened in the dead of night in the middle of nowhere.  

On 20/07/2022 at 09:32, sophia said:

A few minutes further south the traffic halted, in the distance there was CPR and a rescue helicopter landing. Expertise and emergency responses were ineffective and the motorcycle rider lost his life.

I was heading along the A82 and got south of Drumnadrochit when the sat-nav piped up about delays and having not seen much coming north, I checked further. The tourist season and the heavy traffic on that road isn't great. 

Taking the A9 instead had someone who was attempting an ambitious overtake bail out just in time. No idea why they were bothering, it would have been a couple of minutes till a dual section.  

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

You're lucky - the unwritten rule in the Philippines is that the foreigner is at fault by default i.e. if you weren't here the accident wouldn't have happened.  There are always plenty of folk willing to be eye witnesses in the even of an accident, even if the accident happened in the dead of night in the middle of nowhere.  

100% I However I  live in a wee village that when it goes wrong from an outsider (he ws from BKK) 14 years speaking and drinking their same language helps.