c***s on the road

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The van driver clearly is in the wrong but Vine will have loved that. Could have slowed down or swerved but decided not to bother. 

It's exactly that. He's knows the guy was in the wrong but purposely kept going and then - astonishingly - thought the best course of action was to stop in blind spots of the fucking thing. I'd have ignored the horns and howls and kept reversing tbh.

The van driver clearly is in the wrong but Vine will have loved that. Could have slowed down or swerved but decided not to bother. 

Tbh how many folk would expect a van to make a turn and then start reversing the driver shouldn't have a license as they clearly can't do the basics right.

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

It's exactly that. He's knows the guy was in the wrong but purposely kept going and then - astonishingly - thought the best course of action was to stop in blind spots of the fucking thing. I'd have ignored the horns and howls and kept reversing tbh.

Yup, you see it all the time with these vigilante cyclist clips.

Vine stopped in the blind spot of the van to get better video footage of it being in the wrong, and nearly found out. 

The driver made a mistake, realised right away and started to correct it. Utter madness to stop behind a van like that in any situation.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Yup, you see it all the time with these vigilante cyclist clips.

Vine stopped in the blind spot of the van to get better video footage of it being in the wrong, and nearly found out. 

The driver made a mistake, realised right away and started to correct it. Utter madness to stop behind a van like that in any situation.

I'm not on twitter so no idea about vine personally. This looks like a cyclist braking to avoid a van turning across him, then starting off presuming the van will be going forward and not reversing! I have no idea how this is the cyclists fault and it's concerning that it could be interpreted as such.

14 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

I'm not on twitter so no idea about vine personally. This looks like a cyclist braking to avoid a van turning across him, then starting off presuming the van will be going forward and not reversing! I have no idea how this is the cyclists fault and it's concerning that it could be interpreted as such.

The van driver was in the wrong initially, and then tried to correct his mistake.  The cyclist could have avoided the van in the first place and then could have moved aside when he saw and heard the van reversing but decided not to and instead made a bad situation worse.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The van driver was in the wrong initially, and then tried to correct his mistake.  The cyclist could have avoided the van in the first place and then could have moved aside when he saw and heard the van reversing but decided not to and instead made a bad situation worse.  

He enters and tries to drive down the right hand lane of a road, it's a fundamental mistake and that's after not giving way to oncoming traffic.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

He enters and tries to drive down the right hand lane of a road, it's a fundamental mistake and that's after not giving way to oncoming traffic.

6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The van driver was in the wrong initially...

Aye.

23 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

I'm not saying it was the cyclist's fault , only that he put himself in a dangerous situation unnecessarily, seemingly to record the van driver's mistake. 

It's 2 separate incidents really, the van driver's initial mistake then the collision after the cyclist stopped behind it. The cyclist very much shares the blame for the second incident, imo.

Avoiding collisions is a fundamental aspects of being a road user and it still applies when someone else has made an error. The realisation an error has been made is often when you end up having to take evasive action. The correct course of action here was certainly not going right behind the van (where you couldn't be seen). 

But slowing down and letting the van back out of the cycle lane and back to the road wouldn't be good for #numbers now, would it? Even if you can fit in a few swearies. 

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I'm not saying it was the cyclist's fault , only that he put himself in a dangerous situation unnecessarily, seemingly to record the van driver's mistake. 

It's 2 separate incidents really, the van driver's initial mistake then the collision after the cyclist stopped behind it. The cyclist very much shares the blame for the second incident, imo.

Okay I agree with that take that the cyclist should have used a bit more common sense and not have put them self in harms way.

However it is definitely up to the driver to make sure they are safe to reverse in any situation. The driver clearly knows there is a cyclist nearby too. You don't just slam your car/van/lorry into reverse gear and hit the accelerator. You've got to make sure it's safe before moving.

12 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

Okay I agree with that take that the cyclist should have used a bit more common sense and not have put them self in harms way.

However it is definitely up to the driver to make sure they are safe to reverse in any situation. The driver clearly knows there is a cyclist nearby too. You don't just slam your car/van/lorry into reverse gear and hit the accelerator. You've got to make sure it's safe before moving.

I think it's a bit more than common sense the cyclist should have shown - he was being a dick albeit (slightly) less of a one than the driver. 

Stunned that the drivers on here are managing to shift any of the blame on to the cyclist here. 

The van reverses onto the cyclist as soon as he's started going round him. The van hasn't even looked before slamming into reverse. It's entirely their fault.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

image.png.e5cc3838a78b978fb881d102b255f005.png

14 minutes ago, morrison said:

Stunned that the drivers on here are managing to shift any of the blame on to the cyclist here. 

The van reverses onto the cyclist as soon as he's started going round him. The van hasn't even looked before slamming into reverse. It's entirely their fault.

If it got legal it would likely be ruled entirely the driver's fault, however it wouldn't have happened if JV had acted with more common sense and been less concerned with filming it.

This is also for the 'out of the mouth of babes' thread, but on occasion when my wife has been driving and I've strongly advised her to take some evasive action due to some other c**t on the road driving like a c**t, the instinctive response seems to be "aye but it would've been his fault". I'd prefer to just not get in an accident anyway, regardless of who might've been at fault.

He's caused a collision by not avoiding a collision when he could have, just to prove a point. If a driver of a vehicle acted in the same manner even with right of way they'd be considered a bad driver and so this makes Jeremy Vine a baaadd... 

It's like people who speed up to close gaps when they adjudge the driver ahead in a different lane to be about to change lanes. A c**t if you will. 

Edited by thistledo

20 minutes ago, morrison said:

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

image.png.e5cc3838a78b978fb881d102b255f005.png

The Great British public has spoken and confirmed that Vine is to blame. and by a considerable margin.

I hope the van driver sues him for any damage done to the van.