c***s on the road

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

This is also for the 'out of the mouth of babes' thread, but on occasion when my wife has been driving and I've strongly advised her to take some evasive action due to some other c**t on the road driving like a c**t, the instinctive response seems to be "aye but it would've been his fault". I'd prefer to just not get in an accident anyway, regardless of who might've been at fault.

The wife tried that a few weeks back when I was (trying) to help her drive.  There were 2 dog kennels close to the kerb and she almost clipped one or both of them (my eyes were shut so I can't be sure) and then claimed they shouldn't be so close to the kerb - of course I pointed out the same could be said for her.  I've tried a few times to assist her in her driving but pretty much have given up - she seems to have some magnetic attraction to whatever happens to be on her right side and wants to get as close as possible - fine if we're in the UK and she could see perfectly how close she is but we're not and she can't.

15 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

This is also for the 'out of the mouth of babes' thread, but on occasion when my wife has been driving and I've strongly advised her to take some evasive action due to some other c**t on the road driving like a c**t, the instinctive response seems to be "aye but it would've been his fault". I'd prefer to just not get in an accident anyway, regardless of who might've been at fault.

This is exactly the sort of attitude that causes accidents. And in some cases, not taking evasive action might turn "it's their fault" into both parties being adjudged at fault. For example, not slowing down if someone pulls out of a junction when they shouldn't. The other party has made a mistake, but if you don't react to it and take action to avoid the collision then you are making a mistake as well. 

Even if is was the other party's fault, is not doing anything worth the resulting annoyance of sorting out insurance claims, or the risk of potentially serious injury? Absolutely not. 

Edited by Michael W

Vine shows the problem with a lot of road users pretty well, a lot of people don’t know what’s happening past 10 feet in front of their bonnet/front wheel/etc. Hazard perception is lacking with a lot of folk which you can see from the numerous dashcam clips on YouTube where instead of slowing down, people end up in collisions that were easily avoidable.

Anyway, I had a c**t on the road on the M80 yesterday who took great umbrage with the fact I was braking as the traffic in front had started braking. Started flashing his lights and all sorts, then pulled into the inside lane and started flashing his lights at some random jeep on foreign plates. 

He eventually past me as I took the turn off for the Kincardine bridge and he looked like he was about to explode. Very angry gammon 

Tbh I'm glad I don't have to drive in cities regularly, and London in particular looks like a nightmare.

As well as the regular traffic signs and lights you have all the cycle lanes with their own signs and lights, bus lanes (possibly with time restrictions), ULEZ zones/cameras, one-way systems etc etc.

Basically by the time I've got to a junction and worked out first of all if I'm allowed to turn the way I want to go, checked the time to see if I'm allowed to use the left hand lane, worked out which traffic light applies to me and reassured myself I'm not going to receive a fine through the post if I take my intended route, who knows how many cyclists I've already mown down while I was distracted.

22 minutes ago, saint dave said:

My Mrs and her brother saw the cops pull a cyclist at George Square for going through a red light. Never seen that happen before. 

I've told this story before but 25 years ago (wowzers!!) I was dropping keys into an office at the corner of West George Street and West Nile Street. I had parked on the yellow lines but once done I wanted to go up West Nile Street which meant crossing three lanes of traffic at the junction - impossible. My plan was therfore to wait for the red light on West George Street and nip out and left turn before the green light came on to let the West Nile Street traffic go.

Executed it perfectly until I looked in my mirror and saw I was being pursued at a gallop by two of Strathclyde's finest on horseback that had been waiting at the West Nile Street lights. Stil maintain that I'm the only guy to have been caught in the city centre after a hot pursuit by the county mounties. 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I've told this story before but 25 years ago (wowzers!!) I was dropping keys into an office at the corner of West George Street and West Nile Street. I had parked on the yellow lines but once done I wanted to go up West Nile Street which meant crossing three lanes of traffic at the junction - impossible. My plan was therfore to wait for the red light on West George Street and nip out and left turn before the green light came on to let the West Nile Street traffic go.

Executed it perfectly until I looked in my mirror and saw I was being pursued at a gallop by two of Strathclyde's finest on horseback that had been waiting at the West Nile Street lights. Stil maintain that I'm the only guy to have been caught in the city centre after a hot pursuit by the county mounties. 

Did they have helmets with wee lights on them to let them know you were being stopped. If no I'd have simply driven away from them I think. 

Kinda reminds me of a time I accidentally (honest, no big team found) joined an orange walk in my car years ago, I was parked near St Enoch probably illegally as I was dropping someone off, looked ahead of me in some kind of tunnel vision saw a commotion up ahead, f**k driving that way and thought nothing of how quiet the opposite side of the road was, one illegal u-turn later I was sat behind about 4 police bikes, behind me was a few more and then behind them was the walk. The lead motorbike signalled for me to move up to the lights, I apologised and said not really sure why I did that, he didn't seem to care, but rather sternly said "when I say go you go and get the hell out of here" 

Edited by thistledo

2 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Did they have helmets with wee lights on them to let them know you were being stopped. If no I'd have simply driven away from them I think.

It was kinda obvious they were coming for me and - split second decision - I reckoned I'd prefer to take my chances on a stiff talking to at the side of the road after volunteering to stop and holding my hands up rather than booting it up W Nile Street only to then get caught at the Bath Street lights.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

This is exactly the sort of attitude that causes accidents. And in some cases, not taking evasive action might turn "it's their fault" into both parties being adjudged at fault. For example, not slowing down if someone pulls out of a junction when they shouldn't. The other party has made a mistake, but if you don't react to it and take action to avoid the collision then you are making a mistake as well. 

Even if is was the other party's fault, is not doing anything worth the resulting annoyance of sorting out insurance claims, or the risk of potentially serious injury? Absolutely not. 

Actually been talking about something similar at work today.

A few weeks back, I was 4th in a line of cars going from a 30 to a 60.  

The two cars in front were itching to get past the front one.

Lorry coming the other way.  I reckoned the 2nd car would be lucky to get passed safely, 3rd car went for it anyway.  This was a clapped out wreck with no acceleration at all.

What then developed was cuntish behaviour of the highest order.

Car 1 and 2 both accelerated and the lorry didn't brake.

Car 3 narrowly missed clipping car 1 and also having a head on collision.

Meanwhile I had practically stopped as I wanted bugger all to do with it.

I bet the phrase "it would have been his fault" was used in all 4 vehicles.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

Kinda reminds me of a time I accidentally (honest, no big team found) joined an orange walk in my car years ago, I was parked near St Enoch probably illegally as I was dropping someone off, looked ahead of me in some kind of tunnel vision saw a commotion up ahead, f**k driving that way and thought nothing of how quiet the opposite side of the road was, one illegal u-turn later I was sat behind about 4 police bikes, behind me was a few more and then behind them was the walk. The lead motorbike signalled for me to move up to the lights, I apologised and said not really sure why I did that, he didn't seem to care, but rather sternly said "when I say go you go and get the hell out of here" 

Does crossing the path of a bigot walk in a car cause as much seethe as a pedestrian? 

17 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Actually been talking about something similar at work today.

A few weeks back, I was 4th in a line of cars going from a 30 to a 60.  

The two cars in front were itching to get past the front one.

Lorry coming the other way.  I reckoned the 2nd car would be lucky to get passed safely, 3rd car went for it anyway.  This was a clapped out wreck with no acceleration at all.

What then developed was cuntish behaviour of the highest order.

Car 1 and 2 both accelerated and the lorry didn't brake.

Car 3 narrowly missed clipping car 1 and also having a head on collision.

Meanwhile I had practically stopped as I wanted bugger all to do with it.

I bet the phrase "it would have been his fault" was used in all 4 vehicles.

I've said many times people accelerating to block an overtake are up there with the worst c***s, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the head on's on the A82 are down to this, fortunately I'm almost always in a powerful enough car to negate it now, but there's always at least one every time I'm on that road. That and closing a gap that was there to return to and then blasting the horn at me as if they didn't just create their own problem. 

16 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Does crossing the path of a bigot walk in a car cause as much seethe as a pedestrian? 

I didn't get to see their reaction, but ye know I really hope so.