c***s on the road

13 hours ago, thistledo said:

I've said many times people accelerating to block an overtake are up there with the worst c***s, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the head on's on the A82 are down to this, fortunately I'm almost always in a powerful enough car to negate it now, but there's always at least one every time I'm on that road. That and closing a gap that was there to return to and then blasting the horn at me as if they didn't just create their own problem. 

I didn't get to see their reaction, but ye know I really hope so. 

Many moons ago I asked my wife why she was driving so close to the car in front.

She stated it was so the car behind couldn't overtake.

When I pointed out that people are allowed to overtake she genuinely looked confused.

Fortunately she is a far better driver now.

8 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Many moons ago I asked my wife why she was driving so close to the car in front.

When I pointed out that people are allowed to overtake she genuinely looked confused.

Crazy the amount of people who think they're in some sort of race. 

9 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Your wife isn't a Filipina by any chance - her driving style is exactly how they drive here and for the same reason - if you leave enough space in front of you someone will fill it is the thinking.  Here, in their equivalent of the highway cade they actually state 1 car length distance as being safe.  The d**k who wrote the book didn't copy and past correctly as it's 1 car length per 10km speed AFAIK.

On 14/09/2023 at 11:26, morrison said:

Stunned that the drivers on here are managing to shift any of the blame on to the cyclist here. 

The van reverses onto the cyclist as soon as he's started going round him. The van hasn't even looked before slamming into reverse. It's entirely their fault.

Here is an example of the blame being shared.

'The percentage of blame, known as contributory negligence'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-66821313

35 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Here is an example of the blame being shared.

'The percentage of blame, known as contributory negligence'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-66821313

I wasn't making a sweeping statement; it was a comment on a specific incident.

There's little info about the incident you've linked to in the article itself, and I'm not going digging for more context. Without video evidence - and I don't fancy watching someone's final moments this morning - we're only hearing one side of the story given the unfortunate outcome, so it's not particularly helpful in apportioning blame.

1 hour ago, morrison said:

I wasn't making a sweeping statement; it was a comment on a specific incident.

There's little info about the incident you've linked to in the article itself, and I'm not going digging for more context. Without video evidence - and I don't fancy watching someone's final moments this morning - we're only hearing one side of the story given the unfortunate outcome, so it's not particularly helpful in apportioning blame.

Reading the story, I don't think there is anyone disputing the apportionment of blame - the widow seems only to have wanted recognition that her husband was not entirely to blame.  

22 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

This is one of the problems with many of the roads in Scotland. Folk sit nose to tail doing 40mph behind campervans/lorries etc and have no intention of overtaking (no problem with this) but then it makes it far more difficult for folk who do want to make progress. Means having to overtake 2/3 cars and a lorry/campervan in one manoeuvre rather than 1 car at a time

I’ve never had a problem with folk speeding up to close the gap though. 

On 15/09/2023 at 23:34, Loonytoons said:

I don't think she would have been alone in this thinking. 

On 16/09/2023 at 22:03, Central Belt Caley said:

This is one of the problems with many of the roads in Scotland. Folk sit nose to tail doing 40mph behind campervans/lorries etc and have no intention of overtaking (no problem with this) but then it makes it far more difficult for folk who do want to make progress. Means having to overtake 2/3 cars and a lorry/campervan in one manoeuvre rather than 1 car at a time

I’ve never had a problem with folk speeding up to close the gap though. 

This is what it's like the majority of the time I drive A roads now, that 40mph precession, recently I was stuck behind a huge queue of traffic sitting behind this one campervan and despite many parking places available they did not pull in and the cars to the front of the queue weren't overtaking, made my way through to eventually pass the campervan, gave him a quick beep and pointed at parking place sign and I seen in the rear view he flapped his arms as if 'ah well what can I do' fucking idiot. 

37 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I don't think she would have been alone in this thinking. 

This is what it's like the majority of the time I drive A roads now, that 40mph precession, recently I was stuck behind a huge queue of traffic sitting behind this one campervan and despite many parking places available they did not pull in and the cars to the front of the queue weren't overtaking, made my way through to eventually pass the campervan, gave him a quick beep and pointed at parking place sign and I seen in the rear view he flapped his arms as if 'ah well what can I do' fucking idiot. 

They’ll be sitting calling you a maniac for having the gall to overtake safely too. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen a campervan/lorry/etc pull in to let the traffic move. 

Couple of times I’ve had lorry drivers indicate to let me it’s know safe but that seems to happen less and less these days 

I usually find that lorries are the most likely to pull in. Campervans are a pain in the arse and are adamant they can keep speed with the rest of the road. Tractor drivers are just arseholes who are angry at how their lives have turned out and how they're not allowed to shoot children on their land so they're going to make everyone else's day as terrible as the humanly can.

Mixed bag with lorry drivers I find, but I don't blame them as it's probably hard to gauge those that will overtake versus those that will just sit behind them and let the queue build. 

Campervan drivers are just b*****ds basically, I see posts on the teuchter facebook pages I'm on every year about this group of Italian campervans that head northwest to Skye, 17 of them roughly and apparently they don't pull in for anyone, the fury they cause amongst the locals is quite funny but I'd hate to encounter that convoy. 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

They’ll be sitting calling you a maniac for having the gall to overtake safely too. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen a campervan/lorry/etc pull in to let the traffic move. 

Couple of times I’ve had lorry drivers indicate to let me it’s know safe but that seems to happen less and less these days 

I get that this is well-intentioned but I’d just rather they didn’t. If I can’t see what’s ahead of me I don’t want to be putting my life in the hands of a complete stranger in the vehicle in front

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I usually find that lorries are the most likely to pull in. Campervans are a pain in the arse and are adamant they can keep speed with the rest of the road. Tractor drivers are just arseholes who are angry at how their lives have turned out and how they're not allowed to shoot children on their land so they're going to make everyone else's day as terrible as the humanly can.

Years ago driving along the A985 towards Kincardine one morning, there was a tractor at the front of a long line of traffic, that also included a couple of motorcycle cops. The tractor passed by a few laybys but didn't pull in. Just before the roundabout at the start of the Kincardine bypass, the cops overtook the tractor and pulled him in. It's the only time I've seen someone stopped for not letting traffic pass. 

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

We were on Mull last month. On the road to Tobermory we were impressed when a campervan ahead of us actually pulled over into a passing place to let us pass. The illusion of cooperation was shattered when I saw the occupants jump out of the campervan to take photos.

Give them the benefit of the doubt. They might have thought that since they'd stopped they might as well get out for pictures.

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Aye and then there’ll be two cars coming together who need the passing place to actually pass while they’re out taking their snaps. 

I think we just conclude on campervans = c***s. 

Ah, in my quick reading of the post it didn't click properly that they had pulled into a passing place. So, I need to agree with your comment.

Why do some drivers when they’ve made a glaring error on the road, give the international f**k off finger when you blow the horn to point out said error? Most of these people wouldn’t tell you to f**k off to your face when they’re in the wrong, why do it when in yer car? This can lead to a full blown road rage incident. Why not simply give the international hand up apology when you know you’ve made a rip roaring James Hunt of it, and defuse the whole thing? 
Own up to your mistakes and don’t play the hard man because you’re in your car 

thanks to Salvo Montalbano for putting me onto this thread 

•  
Edited by Wacky
To say thanks

Why o why do some people load/unload their children in/out their cars on the road side of their vehicle? 
Not only is it dangerous, it’s arrogant as well. Why do these people feel other drivers should have to deal with this madness. It’s absolutely conkers. 

Edited by Wacky