c***s on the road

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Less "COTR" but more utter bammers this week.

I have been back and forward to Glasgow 3 or 4 times this week and some of the driving has been abysmal.

People swerving over lanes while reading their mobile, some people who simply shouldnt be on a motorway (the cars "pre-sense" braking thing kicked in this morning, when some brain donor swerved across 3 lanes in front of me).

Its just been a really frazzling experience - and I am usually pretty relaxed on a motorway.

My boss used to do that journey every day, his nerves must have been shot to pieces..................

I drove along the M8 earlier today in rush hour for the 1st time in a while. Never moved from the inside lane sat a decent distance back from a lorry at 55ish, never had to touch the brakes, never held anyone up and still got to my destination quicker than the brain dead brake slammers all along in the outside lane. Will probably just use the back roads next time though. 

Some of the random slamming of brakes from people was puzzling and makes me think it has to have been automated as it most of it was a complete overreaction to absolutely nothing

On 03/06/2024 at 22:46, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

That is fucking outrageous. A lassies got cut in two in Drumnadrochit a few years ago by something similar, a truck had left its leg thing out and leathered her as she was walking along the pavement.

He got 100hrs community service and 12 month ban.

I think he was driving the vehicle for the first time and there's an enquiry into whether he was trained properly and if there should have been an alarm system. Worst thing was her mother was walking along with her when it happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Was behind a learner coming home from work and we never went above 10mph the whole way through the town. 

Is it just me or is the instructor a fucking idiot here? Given there was never anything in front of the driver (well nothing close enough to make them go so slowly) and that the car was doing a fair bit of swaying, I assumed they were very new if not their first time. To me I'd have the learner out the way to get a feel for the car (or do what my instructor did and take me to a country road and get up to 60mph - flooding technique) before having them take on a trickier area. 

I wasn't being aggressive or beeping at them and I gave the person plenty of room. But this topic shows there are plenty of idiots on the road and I know other folk would have been going apeshit behind the learner. What's that going to do to their confidence? 

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time ever, I phoned the police about a driver. I was following him on a 60 mph road and he moved over to drive on the right hand side of the road. A car coming the other way had to swerve onto my side of the road to avoid a head on crash. Gave me a moment, seeing that. Had he not swerved that would have been a head on collision, and at that speed.

Then he was driving like a madman, all over the road, speeding up, slowing down.

Got home, called 101, waited to get through...and got a row. I should have called 999 at the time. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

For the first time ever, I phoned the police about a driver. I was following him on a 60 mph road and he moved over to drive on the right hand side of the road. A car coming the other way had to swerve onto my side of the road to avoid a head on crash. Gave me a moment, seeing that. Had he not swerved that would have been a head on collision, and at that speed.

Then he was driving like a madman, all over the road, speeding up, slowing down.

Got home, called 101, waited to get through...and got a row. I should have called 999 at the time. 

Have to agree with them if there was somewhere you could pull over if driving alone. "Just to let you know I saw a house on fire half an hour ago." 

Just to update, the police called me back. 

They tracked down the driver and gave him a talking to. They said he was a tourist who didn't know the rules of the road.

On reflection, that isn't particularly good! He was all over the place.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to agree with them if there was somewhere you could pull over if driving alone. "Just to let you know I saw a house on fire half an hour ago." 

765ddae3481da7d3c84325798cdcb967.gif 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

They tracked down the driver and gave him a talking to. They said he was a tourist who didn't know the rules of the road.

Aye when it’s someone he’ll bent on killing themself or others dial 999.

i had to do that when this guy was going 40 on the M74 but you could smell the wee about half a mile before you passed him. Ridiculous nick to be when driving on the motorway.

I thought it was fairly obvious that if someone’s driving in a way that’s likely to cause a horrendous accident you would phone 999 at the first opportunity.

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I thought it was fairly obvious that if someone’s driving in a way that’s likely to cause a horrendous accident you would phone 999 at the first opportunity.

In hindsight I should have done.

14 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Hindsight. 

God’s/Humanity’s/Civilisation’s worst ever contribution to life. 

12 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Or maybe it’s best. Works both ways I suppose. 

Time will tell.

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

13 hours ago, The Master said:

765ddae3481da7d3c84325798cdcb967.gif 

13 hours ago, 101 said:

Aye when it’s someone he’ll bent on killing themself or others dial 999.

i had to do that when this guy was going 40 on the M74 but you could smell the wee about half a mile before you passed him. Ridiculous nick to be when driving on the motorway.

13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

So, as it turns out scottsdad was the c**t on the road if I'm reading this right.

On 12/07/2024 at 21:16, scottsdad said:

It's worryingly common, particularly on the A82, saw a video online the other day of a tourist on the gorge section of Glencoe on the wrong side of the road not for a short period of time either. If you come round one of the blind corners at that section with someone on the wrong side you've had it man. Hate driving that road in the summer now. 

On 12/07/2024 at 21:33, eez-eh said:

On 13/07/2024 at 10:57, hk blues said:

So, as it turns out scottsdad was the c**t on the road if I'm reading this right.

In fairness, they've spent years telling us we shouldn't call 999 unless we absolutely have to, (mainly because the services provided have been so drastically cut back), and have introduced 101 and 111 altetnatives, it's no surprise that folk are wary of calling 999 now.

9 hours ago, Shipa said:

In fairness, they've spent years telling us we shouldn't call 999 unless we absolutely have to, (mainly because the services provided have been so drastically cut back), and have introduced 101 and 111 altetnatives, it's no surprise that folk are wary of calling 999 now.

I wasn't actually being serious but, aye.