c***s on the road

16 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

PS

Police turned up today to follow up the complaint from the horse-woman. I explained as above. They'd seen the footage and could see that I probably was too close, but that mis-communication had contributed. There was a possible careless driving charge. Before doing so, they'd go back to the complainer, who, for her part, acknowledged her language left a lot to be desired. Called back a few hours later to say no further action.

I'm happy with the outcome, but what a waste of police time!

Not only that, but having the police turn up at your door can be a bit of a surprise for a normal punter.

I had this a few months back relating to a trivial issue with a neighbour - I wont go into details, but the despite the officers being brilliant (my only regret is I forgot to get their bosses email to praise them afterwards) and telling me there was nothing in the "complaint" it really does give you a bit of a jolt, especially when you are just having your morning porridge !

I appreciate that Police Scotland have to follow up complaints, but the very people who probably complain at dinner parties that "there are no bobbies on the beat these days" are probably the very ones who go on to waste police time with this sort of trivial pish.

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Not only that, but having the police turn up at your door can be a bit of a surprise for a normal punter.

A few years ago we moved house. About a week after we moved, I got a call from the police asking me to come into Falkirk police station. So I did and was taken downstairs to a secure room and interviewed about a washing machine the landlord reported I had stolen. I pointed out it wasn't stolen, it was in the garage where I'd put it after we'd bought our own, better machine. I was put in a cell - with the door left open - while they went to check. 30 minutes later I was out. 

A bit OTT I thought. 

5 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

A few years ago we moved house. About a week after we moved, I got a call from the police asking me to come into Falkirk police station. So I did and was taken downstairs to a secure room and interviewed about a washing machine the landlord reported I had stolen. I pointed out it wasn't stolen, it was in the garage where I'd put it after we'd bought our own, better machine. I was put in a cell - with the door left open - while they went to check. 30 minutes later I was out. 

A bit OTT I thought. 

Jeez !

I do wonder if the "frequent flyers" that the police see regularly get used to these kind of interactions?

I certainly couldnt.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

I had this a few months back relating to a trivial issue with a neighbour - I wont go into details, but the despite the officers being brilliant (my only regret is I forgot to get their bosses email to praise them afterwards) and telling me there was nothing in the "complaint" it really does give you a bit of a jolt, especially when you are just having your morning porridge !

I appreciate that Police Scotland have to follow up complaints, but the very people who probably complain at dinner parties that "there are no bobbies on the beat these days" are probably the very ones who go on to waste police time with this sort of trivial pish.

Please go into the details

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Please go into the details

He mentioned "dinner parties" so he obviously lives in a posh area.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

A bit OTT I thought. 

The landlord should be charged with wasting police time Shirley?

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

A bit OTT I thought. 

Not quite a Harry Houdini level escape all things considered. 

On 16/07/2024 at 16:09, Newbornbairn said:

The number of red light jumpers at the Forfar roundabout circle in Dundee has gone way beyond a joke. Somebody's going to get killed 

surely? 

To get back to c***s on the road,

Those that jump lane to lane in congestion.  

Is a brick to the back of the head excessive for this? I just don't see what value there is for keeping people that thick as part of society 

Just finished what should have been a quick drive, but watching the morons round these bits doing new and even more stupid tricks on the roundabouts does my tits in and has me wondering. Has the performance of drivers on British roundabouts fallen significantly, or is it still acceptably decent? Examples of local idiocy are complete failure to take openings even my child can see, drivers on the roundabout slowing to a stop and waving entering drivers to go ahead, entering drivers stopping when there is no traffic, etc.

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just finished what should have been a quick drive, but watching the morons round these bits doing new and even more stupid tricks on the roundabouts does my tits in and has me wondering. Has the performance of drivers on British roundabouts fallen significantly, or is it still acceptably decent? Examples of local idiocy are complete failure to take openings even my child can see, drivers on the roundabout slowing to a stop and waving entering drivers to go ahead, entering drivers stopping when there is no traffic, etc.

Here roundabouts are chaotic with 50% of drivers giving way to entering vehicles and the other 50% doing it correctly.  To be fair the guidance is at best confusing by suggesting you can give way to joining vehicles if it's safe to do so.  

Scotland could have a sovereign wealth fund if the police set up a camera at the queensferry crossing and booked everyone who crosses the solid white line when joining the motorway. Might eventually make them pay attention to what’s going on.

22 hours ago, parsforlife said:

To get back to c***s on the road,

Those that jump lane to lane in congestion.  

Is a brick to the back of the head excessive for this? I just don't see what value there is for keeping people that thick as part of society 

☝️ Doesn't use the off/on method at the Inverkeithing slip in the mornings :whistle

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in Montenegro. Not sure if I should add to the “c***s on the road” thread or search for a “How to lose weight quickly” thread. A significant portion of the drivers here are fucking suicidal. Can’t really describe it any other way.

On 31/07/2024 at 12:50, Ross. said:

Currently in Montenegro. Not sure if I should add to the “c***s on the road” thread or search for a “How to lose weight quickly” thread. A significant portion of the drivers here are f**king suicidal. Can’t really describe it any other way.

Montenegro was occupied by Italy in World War II. I don't know if the Italians left any cultural legacy... 

39 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Montenegro was occupied by Italy in World War II. I don't know if the Italians left any cultural legacy... 

It would certainly explain their love of speed. Not sure if there are speed limits here or just minimum recommendations. Seems to be that you just read the sign and add a random number between 20 and 40.

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

It would certainly explain their love of speed. Not sure if there are speed limits here or just minimum recommendations. Seems to be that you just read the sign and add a random number between 20 and 40.

This poster seems to agree:

“Driving culture in Montenegro is probably different to what you’re used to. 

Roads are narrow and winding and local driving can be erratic, tending to dangerous. It’s extremely common to see people on the phone or texting while driving (if you’re wondering why that car is front is doing 30kmh in a 60 zone and veering slightly out of their lane, that will be why).

Overtaking is also done in a highly optimistic fashion. On blind corners, in the passing lanes for the other side, or attempting to overtake three or four cars at once are all common. You’ll see a car coming in the opposite direction and in your lane heading for you — and it’s up to you to brake and give them the space to get back into their lane.

Likewise, if someone behind you is overtaking and they misjudged exactly how many cars they could overtake at once, give them space as they will try to duck back into the correct lane right in front of you.

If you get stuck behind a truck on a winding road, the driver will often try to help the column of traffic behind by indicating when it’s safe to pass. Right indicator on means it’s safe, left indicator on means there is oncoming traffic so keep waiting.

Many rural roads are one lane only. It’s safer to stick to the right instead of the middle of the road, even if the road seems empty. Mostly you’ll only meet a farmer in a Golf 2 coming the other way but occasionally you’ll get surprised by a youngster in a BMW going way too quickly so always be alert and checking what might coming around the next bend. 

On these back roads, also watch out for herds of sheep or goats. It’s better to wait and let them pass, but if you’re impatient you can usually slowly nudge your way through without damage to you (or them). 

Cows can also be a hazard in some rather unlikely places. In the winter, the main road between Budva and Petrovac, right above Sveti Stefan, is also the road home for a herd of cows.

Basically, always have your wits about you when driving in Montenegro as you never know what might be ahead. Cows, randomly parked cars, rockslides, pedestrians on their phones – it’s always an adventure.”

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

This poster seems to agree:

“Driving culture in Montenegro is probably different to what you’re used to. 

Roads are narrow and winding and local driving can be erratic, tending to dangerous. It’s extremely common to see people on the phone or texting while driving (if you’re wondering why that car is front is doing 30kmh in a 60 zone and veering slightly out of their lane, that will be why).

Overtaking is also done in a highly optimistic fashion. On blind corners, in the passing lanes for the other side, or attempting to overtake three or four cars at once are all common. You’ll see a car coming in the opposite direction and in your lane heading for you — and it’s up to you to brake and give them the space to get back into their lane.

Likewise, if someone behind you is overtaking and they misjudged exactly how many cars they could overtake at once, give them space as they will try to duck back into the correct lane right in front of you.

If you get stuck behind a truck on a winding road, the driver will often try to help the column of traffic behind by indicating when it’s safe to pass. Right indicator on means it’s safe, left indicator on means there is oncoming traffic so keep waiting.

Many rural roads are one lane only. It’s safer to stick to the right instead of the middle of the road, even if the road seems empty. Mostly you’ll only meet a farmer in a Golf 2 coming the other way but occasionally you’ll get surprised by a youngster in a BMW going way too quickly so always be alert and checking what might coming around the next bend. 

On these back roads, also watch out for herds of sheep or goats. It’s better to wait and let them pass, but if you’re impatient you can usually slowly nudge your way through without damage to you (or them). 

Cows can also be a hazard in some rather unlikely places. In the winter, the main road between Budva and Petrovac, right above Sveti Stefan, is also the road home for a herd of cows.

Basically, always have your wits about you when driving in Montenegro as you never know what might be ahead. Cows, randomly parked cars, rockslides, pedestrians on their phones – it’s always an adventure.”

Overtaking is also done in a highly optimistic fashion. 😂