Alex Salmond show on Russia Today

Colkitto

49 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You frequently undermine your own arguments by taking things to the logical extreme and end up defending the indefensible. 

Bombing the propaganda centres of a genocidal regime is not just not “indefensible”; it’s extremely easy to defend because it is the objectively correct thing to do.

There’s nothing “logically extreme” about this. It is a mainstream liberal interventionist stance.

Similarly, it is very mainstream to say that isn’t remotely comparable to a state mouthpiece covering up a quasi-dictatorship assassinating and imprisoning journalists for dissent.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Puppet propagandists for genocidal dictators aren’t journalists and aren’t conducting journalism.

Bombing Milosovic’s TV stations helped to stop genocide. Helping the Russian Government to cover up the covert abduction and assassination of journalists enables and protects a regime that explicitly protects a dictator that uses chemical weapons on civillians in Syria.

Maybe they could taken out transmitters before deciding to kill innocent civilians? 

Killing is ok for one side and bad for the other.... I despair

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Bombing Milosovic’s TV stations helped to stop genocide. 

BTW the TV station was back up and running 24 hours later from a different location, just with 16 less people.

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Maybe they could taken out transmitters before deciding to kill innocent

It would have been the best thing to do as Welshbairn says...

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

BTW the TV station was back up and running 24 hours later from a different location, just with 16 less people.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Your beef is that’s it was a strategically suboptimal thing to do then, not that it was morally indefensible.

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Your beef is that’s it was a strategically suboptimal thing to do then, not that it was morally indefensible.

No, I'm against murdering journalists and their colleagues full stop. I was just pointing out that it didn't even achieve their primary objective.

37 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Every word of it is true though.He will be selling his own Dvds off a decorating table at small town Gala Days eventually.

There are worse ways to make a living tbf.

Like hosting a chat show on Russian TV amarite ?

First post in this thread.

As a supporter of Independence and an SNP member I have huge admiration for Salmond and his contribution to the Independence movement.

In the ongoing fight for Independence I believe he still has a role to play and his ability to fulfil that role will be diminished by this decision.

I think he’s always been a wee bit egoistical and this has led to an error of judgement.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

No, I'm against murdering journalists and their colleagues full stop. I was just pointing out that it didn't even achieve their primary objective.

Killing journalists incidentally as part of a legitimate military operation isn’t murder.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

What's first?

Norway. The top 5 are the Scandanavian countries and the Netherlands.

For comparison:

UK: 40th

Ireland :14th

Germany: 16th

France: 39th

Spain: 29th

Italy: 52nd

Canada: 22nd

USA: 43rd

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

It's ok when it's the "good guys" eh? 

Not all killing is wrong, but deliberate killing of political opponents and journalists purely because they criticise your regime is bad. Glad we’ve cleared that up.

2 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Bo'ness, for example?

Maybe but a children's fair festival is the big thing there rather than a gala day.

Not sure what to make of the RT move by Alex S. Overall the channel has a lot of good content in my experience and is arguably no more blatantly biased than something like CNN or Fox News, but that's not the way it is generally perceived so this looks like a desperate attempt to stay in the limelight more than anything else that would complicate his return to frontline politics.