North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

40 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Very interesting musings from Invergordon that they are keen on getting a club licence to go for promotion in the years to come.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/4132004/invergordon-set-longer-term-goals-for-shot-at-play-offs/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Great stuff. This is what the pyramid is all about, motivating ambitious clubs to push further and improve.

59 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Very interesting musings from Invergordon that they are keen on getting a club licence to go for promotion in the years to come.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/4132004/invergordon-set-longer-term-goals-for-shot-at-play-offs/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Fair play to Invergordon. Will be a big effort to get the Rec up to scratch, but glad to see some ambition. The public footpath alongside the pitch will be a big obstacle I'd imagine, although I suppose could move the pitch north a bit. Would impact the other pitch though. Plus the other issues with enclosing public playing fields. Not insurmountable though, just challenging.

Still a shame the NCL doesn't get a Scottish Cup place for its champion.

Edited by Cyclizine

28 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Fair play to Invergordon. Will be a big effort to get the Rec up to scratch, but glad to see some ambition. The public footpath alongside the pitch will be a big obstacle I'd imagine, although I suppose could move the pitch north a bit. Would impact the other pitch though. Plus the other issues with enclosing public playing fields. Not insurmountable though, just challenging.

If Invergordon were the Champions would they be able to play home ties on their own ground?

35 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If Invergordon were the Champions would they be able to play home ties on their own ground?

I'm not sure what the ground criteria are for the preliminary rounds. I seem to remember the Amateur Cup winners recently have played at Benburb. I'd think the biggest problem with the Recreation Grounds is that the pitch isn't enclosed at all. It's railed but anyone can walk in as it's essentially a public playing field. I suspect that would be a deal breaker.

The other pitch being home of Ross Sutherland RFC further complicates things as they sometimes play matches at the same time as Invergordon.

27 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

The other pitch being home of Ross Sutherland RFC further complicates things as they sometimes play matches at the same time as Invergordon.

The rugby pitch and clubhouse is to the west, I was meaning the second (unrailed) football pitch. It's all a public playing field which I think will be the sticking point in terms of access as I imagine the council won't want to lose pitches and will want to keep public access. Saying that, Harmsworth Park is a public park and access is only controlled on match days. Outwith games, the gates are all open, we sledged on the pitch and it's cracking slope in the winter!

Edited by Cyclizine

Just now, Cyclizine said:

Fair play to Invergordon. Will be a big effort to get the Rec up to scratch, but glad to see some ambition. The public footpath alongside the pitch will be a big obstacle I'd imagine.

Coldstream have a footpath along one side of their ground so they have a gate in the fence which is closed when a game is on. At least the road to the south has a pavement as a diversion for a few hours every fortnight.

Enclosing Invergordon's ground looks a bit more tricky as it's close to two other pitches - might need to be moved away from the rugby pitch. The pitch to the north seems about 5m wider than the railed pitch, so a bit of leeway there.

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I'm not sure what the ground criteria are for the preliminary rounds. I seem to remember the Amateur Cup winners recently have played at Benburb. I'd think the biggest problem with the Recreation Grounds is that the pitch isn't enclosed at all. It's railed but anyone can walk in as it's essentially a public playing field. I suspect that would be a deal breaker.

11. REGISTERED GROUND CRITERIA The Registered Ground of a Club participating in the Competition must: 11.1 be enclosed with a suitable barrier to keep spectators from gaining entry to the ground without payment; 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/8291/sfa_handbook-2021-22_digital.pdf page 167

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Clach had intended to join the NCL last season, but decided against it as Covid levels were still to high.

Fort will be relegated to the NCL, and be replaced by Banks O'Dee, unless Fraserburgh or Buckie Thistle win the SPFL club 42 play-off, if they defeat Bonnyrigg and Cowdenbeath/Elgin City in the play'off Final.  If this happens, would Fort receive an HFL reprieve.

Thurso have defeated Bonar Bridge 4-1 in their penultimate NCL game this evening, It has been a very competitive NCL season.

13 minutes ago, Robert James said:

unless Fraserburgh or Buckie Thistle win the SPFL club 42 play-off, if they defeat Bonnyrigg and Cowdenbeath/Elgin City in the play'off Final.  If this happens, would Fort receive an HFL reprieve.

[citation needed]

The Highland League are more than happy enough to go with 17 teams (have done so before) next season so Fort will definitely have to beat BOD (they won't) to stay up.

Wonder if they would invite applications for an 18th club though (apparently put feelers out to BOD 3 years back) in that case and didn't accept FW - which would be very funny.

Edited by Ray Patterson

21 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Coldstream have a footpath along one side of their ground so they have a gate in the fence which is closed when a game is on. At least the road to the south has a pavement as a diversion for a few hours every fortnight.

When I was at a Coldstream game in the '70s it was a public park. I imagine they must have gone through a lot of hoops to get the ground enclosed.  Invergordon should ask them for advice.

2 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

The Highland League are more than happy enough to go with 17 teams (have done so before) next season so Fort will definitely have to beat BOD (they won't) to stay up.

Wonder if they would invite applications for an 18th club though (apparently put feelers out to BOD 3 years back) in that case and didn't accept FW - which would be very funny.

Other than FW, only Golspie and (assuming licenses get confirmed shourtly) Lochee United & Tayport can apply. I'm not sure if Golspie will want it and would they already want a Dundee(ish) based club in the league when they don't have to?