North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

13 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Shame they aren’t licensed as it would be good to see an actual pyramid system in the North.

I doubt Uncle Roy (who I'm told is involved with Invergordon) will want 2 of his play-things competing in the same league tbh

24 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I doubt Uncle Roy (who I'm told is involved with Invergordon) will want 2 of his play-things competing in the same league tbh

He's been hinting he might be up to something.

MacGregor wants to see Invergordon continue to progress off the park too, with the Highland League a realistic target.

He said: “I know Invergordon are on a journey to gain promotion into the Highland League.

“They have gained success on the pitch, and they now need to get the off-the-park elements right with an enclosed ground and the like. They are an ambitious club.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/6435836/invergordon-fc-the-all-conquering-north-caledonian-league-side/

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

I was just looking at the history of NCL sides in the Scottish Cup, as you do, and I noticed that the 2010-11 first round replay between Fort William and Golspie was played at Ellon Academy. This seems totally bizarre and I can't find any information online, does anyone here know what happened?

What was your source, had a quick look online and on the SFHA database but can't see anything out of the ordinary.

28 minutes ago, CountyinBorders said:

What was your source, had a quick look online and on the SFHA database but can't see anything out of the ordinary.

The SFA website says it was played there. https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup-matches/?mid=103072

Edited by craigkillie

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

I was just looking at the history of NCL sides in the Scottish Cup, as you do, and I noticed that the 2010-11 first round replay between Fort William and Golspie was played at Ellon Academy. This seems totally bizarre and I can't find any information online, does anyone here know what happened?

I wonder if it was a misprint on the SFA site? Can't find anything online about it and Sky Sport have it played at Claggan Park. Very odd though, I'll ask around.

https://www.skysports.com/football/fort-william-vs-golspie-sutherland/teams/228457

Believe there is plans in motion for Invergordon to get to the HL and that Macgregor is more involved than he alludes to in his interview a few months ago.

Not in a official capacity due to his Ross County ownership but he funds the club (kit, travel etc) from behind the scenes via his companies and will no doubt be the source of funds for the upgrade to their ground to meet HL criteria, would imagine if this does happen you will see Ross County youngsters going on loan to Invergordon as opposed to other HL teams.

Have seen them a couple of times over the last few seasons they are a very good NCL team but nowhere near HL standard currently, again the sign of Macgregor's financial input will be evident if they start signing a higher calibre of player for a promotion push.

Edited by Samsonite
Spelling mistake

Not for the 1st time, I thought wrong then!

Will be interesting to see if the can put the words into action. The ground has potential, I don't know what the planning situation with the rugby club and the football team on that land is though 

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if it was a misprint on the SFA site? Can't find anything online about it and Sky Sport have it played at Claggan Park. Very odd though, I'll ask around.

https://www.skysports.com/football/fort-william-vs-golspie-sutherland/teams/228457

The Fitba North Scottish Cup thread for that season makes no mention of a change of venue and that includes input from a Fort William fan.

10 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Believe there is plans in motion for Invergordon to get to the HL and that Macgregor is more involved than he alludes to in his interview a few months ago.

Not in a official capacity due to his Ross County ownership but he funds the club (kit, travel etc) from behind the scenes via his companies and will no doubt be the source of funds for the upgrade to their ground to meet HL criteria, would imagine if this does happen you will see Ross County youngsters going on loan to Invergordon as opposed to other HL teams.

Have seen them a couple of times over the last few seasons they are a very good NCL team but nowhere near HL standard currently, again the sign of Macgregor's financial input will be evident if they start signing a higher calibre of player for a promotion push.

Ben Mackay pumped shedloads of money into Brora without any official position at the club, I doubt there's any rule stopping Roy doing the same, as you say. Didn't know SPFL club chairmen couldn't own a Highland League club anyway.

34 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

The standard of the leagues will never truly get closer until the pyramid gets going properly up here. We’ve seen how big the gap is still, with Loch Ness players joining Strathspey expected to boost them, but not doing so. Was told Invergordon gave a good account of themselves against Culter, but again it shows the best North Caley side is still a bit off the best North Superleague side. Right now the North Pyramid is hoping that Lochee or Tayport can win their league as Golspie and Fort William aren’t going to. 

Would be good to see clubs like Invergordon and Culter break into the Highland League, they’ve earned the right, but who knows if they actually want to.

Edited by Sir Tarmo

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Ben Mackay pumped shedloads of money into Brora without any official position at the club, I doubt there's any rule stopping Roy doing the same, as you say. Didn't know SPFL club chairmen couldn't own a Highland League club anyway.

Im not 100% of the rules myself, have just heard that he funds them albeit on a small scale (especially for him a new set of strips and a minibus every 2nd week is pocket change for him) due to the involvement of his son at the club.

Might not be true but if they start building an HL standard ground and HL quality players then I think it will become apparent that there are  significant funds coming from somewhere.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The SFA website says it was played there. https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup-matches/?mid=103072

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

56 minutes ago, Eednud said:

The Fitba North Scottish Cup thread for that season makes no mention of a change of venue and that includes input from a Fort William fan.

I think it must be an SFA mistake, the usually spot on Scottish Football Historical Archive gives both venues to be correct in their 2010/11 non league in the Scottish Cup database.

image.png.189b4fb468e8b4657e0eb2555ca92abf.png

Some quite interesting games notably St Cuthbert Wanderers beating Fraserburgh and Girvan beating Huntly.

Sorry @GordonS for showing Linlithgow being beaten by Beith.

Quite disappointed this isn't true as that would be one hell of a pub quiz question.

Edited by CountyinBorders

5 hours ago, CountyinBorders said:

I think it must be an SFA mistake, the usually spot on Scottish Football Historical Archive gives both venues to be correct in their 2010/11 non league in the Scottish Cup database.

image.png.189b4fb468e8b4657e0eb2555ca92abf.png

Some quite interesting games notably St Cuthbert Wanderers beating Fraserburgh and Girvan beating Huntly.

Sorry @GordonS for showing Linlithgow being beaten by Beith.

Quite disappointed this isn't true as that would be one hell of a pub quiz question.

Thanks, I'll assume SFHA are right and the SFA archive is wrong. A really weird mistake for them to make, it's hard to work out what mix-up they could have made. I searched by venue and they've done it twice. Is it worth telling them?

No bad memories about the cup game at Bellsdale, I remember being really impressed by Beith and going back to see their 4-3 defeat to Airdrie in a later round, which was played in a midweek afternoon. They could have won that game, their wee winger tortured his opponents that day. And any club that sells cupcakes with their badge on them and little Scottish Cups on others is alright by me.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 20.19.38.png

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Thanks, I'll assume SFHA are right and the SFA archive is wrong. A really weird mistake for them to make, it's hard to work out what mix-up they could have made. I searched by venue and they've done it twice. Is it worth telling them?

No bad memories about the cup game at Bellsdale, I remember being really impressed by Beith and going back to see their 4-3 defeat to Airdrie in a later round, which was played in a midweek afternoon. They could have won that game, their wee winger tortured his opponents that day. And any club that sells cupcakes with their badge on them and little Scottish Cups on others is alright by me.

Maybe it was a wee Div style joke by an intern, replacing Claggan Park with Ellon Academy? I think you owe it to future historians to let them know.

Edited by welshbairn

37 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

IT glitch probably... their old system (just replaced by COMET) defaulted venues as Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund :lol:.

There's quite a few obvious glitches: Banks o' Dee v Dalbeattie apparently at Bucksburn Astro; Stranraer playing Talbot at Stewartfield and quite a lot of "TBC". There's several duplicated teams as well e.g. there's a Bonnyrigg Rose and Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic F.C.; a Burntisland Shipyard AFC and FC. Clearly still a work in progress...

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

I am not a fan of Be**h Juniors.

I'm thinking the wee winger was Joe Bradley...he was a really great wee player and one of those blokes that you wanted to play for your own team and (grudgingly) respected. The rest of them were c***s. And the opposition were Airdrie.

The baker was Mo Irvine. Also a good guy.

Was at the Inverness Athletic vs Thurso game, Thurso found themselves 1-0 up from an early corner.....and then found themselves on the back foot from that point onwards.  The fact they managed to make it to HT still in the lead was a minor miracle.  Athletic however started the 2nd half stronger and levelled early on and then build on their momentum scoring another 3 with relative ease

Some photos from the game

Inverness%20Athletic%204-1%20Thurso-8-X2

Inverness%20Athletic%204-1%20Thurso-22-X

Inverness%20Athletic%204-1%20Thurso-70-X

Inverness%20Athletic%204-1%20Thurso-103-