The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

On the strength of the airline sanctions against Russia and no appreciable immediate dip in Rolls Royce shares I figured there was going to be a huge backlog of work waiting for them once the war was over. Bought them at about £1 in Spring 2022, now sitting at £4.85. I think the new Turkish CEO has had the more influence on that though. 

Also heavily into natural resources (whatever they find to exploit it’s still a dwindling resource therefore commodity prices must go up long term) with the worst performer being Anglo American. Nearly back to even with the takeover chat earlier this year but back to -25% on my money since. 

Im on a buy and leave strategy, not a trader, but it is strangely addictive - and I think educational - to be paying closer attention to the markets. 

I also think I’m something of a contrarian - a never ending stream of good news means they’ve something to hide (don’t buy) while a load of bad news out there means there shouldn’t be any new nasties turning up any time soon and they are on a path to recovery (so buy).  

49 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

On the strength of the airline sanctions against Russia and no appreciable immediate dip in Rolls Royce shares I figured there was going to be a huge backlog of work waiting for them once the war was over. Bought them at about £1 in Spring 2022, now sitting at £4.85. I think the new Turkish CEO has had the more influence on that though. 

Also heavily into natural resources (whatever they find to exploit it’s still a dwindling resource therefore commodity prices must go up long term) with the worst performer being Anglo American. Nearly back to even with the takeover chat earlier this year but back to -25% on my money since. 

Im on a buy and leave strategy, not a trader, but it is strangely addictive - and I think educational - to be paying closer attention to the markets. 

I also think I’m something of a contrarian - a never ending stream of good news means they’ve something to hide (don’t buy) while a load of bad news out there means there shouldn’t be any new nasties turning up any time soon and they are on a path to recovery (so buy).  

On the natural resource side, have you got any Yellow Cake? (Not to be confused with the Brass Eye drug spoof)

It's one of my "one that got away pile". Was tipped a few years back but I never bought it. Up 152% over 5 years or 95% over 3. It's not been doing as well recently with the downtun in Uranium price but might be worth looking at again. 

Yellow Cake Plc Share Price (YCA) ORD GBP0.01 | YCA (hl.co.uk)

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I'd be interested to know what kind of returns people on here have been getting.

From my current holding in my SIPP, my best performer is Blackrock World Mining (BRWM) which with reinvested dividends has made 15.67% per annum over the 8.4 years I've held it.

Worst has been The Renewables Infrastructure Group down 6.63% p/a in 2.3 years.

Now I'm looking for some tips on where to invest some money I've taken out my SIPP to put in my ISA. Any suggestions?

I'm down overall mainly thanks to a big loss on SYNC. I'm still hopeful that will turn around in the next couple of years.  My biggest uplift is currently ATST at about 36% which I bought about 3/4 years ago.

P&B’ers I’ve nae time for proper investing. I just invest in an isa account. Currently with Wesleyan. Last yr the fund made  a 9.9% increase with an after fees return of 8.5%. Id think a 1.4% fees are high ? 

who are you with & wots the fees / gains like with your provider?

1 hour ago, Gorgie greatness said:

P&B’ers I’ve nae time for proper investing. I just invest in an isa account. Currently with Wesleyan. Last yr the fund made  a 9.9% increase with an after fees return of 8.5%. Id think a 1.4% fees are high ? 

You don't say which fund(s) are in your ISA.  However, if a fund is charging over 1% p.a., that is generally reckoned to be excessive.

At the figure you quoted, whatever the other merits of the fund, the performance is being crippled by the fees.

I generally stay away from actively managed funds, and stick with index funds, with fees very seldom over about 0.25 % p.a..

The only active stuff I have is one of the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds, fees at 0.22 % p.a..

Suggest you do some of your own background reading if you're serious about this.

The 'Boring Money' website is a decent resource.  I also use the 'Monevator' website.

This is opinion only, and is not intended to be financial advice.

16 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Up just over 12% on ISA and 15% on SIPP even with the recent "crash" which seems to have largely recovered anyway. 

I agree with what @beefybake is saying, low cost index funds are a safe bet and one of my index funds is outperforming a risky active by f**king miles. I'll be binning that particular active off shortly for something a little different. 

Slagged you guys in the recent past but I now ask for forgiveness, due to the fact I would like your advice.

I am emptying my euro account as I have moved to Peru. My account here deals in both USD and Peruvian soles although if I'm transferring in it has to be in USD. My dilemma is should I send it to the UK in GBP or have it here in USD. I'm leaning towards UK account as I don't think I will need to use it here anytime soon. As I'm non UK resident I can't do ISAs etc (I don't think) so the easy savings option for me is a simple savings account which I already have with RBS which has the same interest rate as a savings account I could set up with my bank in Peru.

The part that annoys me is numerically getting less GBP than USD but I know that means nothing. What would you financial eggheads do?

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Slagged you guys in the recent past but I now ask for forgiveness, due to the fact I would like your advice.

I am emptying my euro account as I have moved to Peru. My account here deals in both USD and Peruvian soles although if I'm transferring in it has to be in USD. My dilemma is should I send it to the UK in GBP or have it here in USD. I'm leaning towards UK account as I don't think I will need to use it here anytime soon. As I'm non UK resident I can't do ISAs etc (I don't think) so the easy savings option for me is a simple savings account which I already have with RBS which has the same interest rate as a savings account I could set up with my bank in Peru.

The part that annoys me is numerically getting less GBP than USD but I know that means nothing. What would you financial eggheads do?

Check they aren't cutting it with an exchange rate game. Make sure the exchange rate to be used is specified and the exchange occurs on a specified date. That'll remove most fiddles that can occur...check there's no vig on the actual transaction/transfer.

I assume you're keeping the Peruvian account in USD and exchanging as necessary, or using the bank's exchange with an advantageous rate. Watch the credit transactions that offer a choice of local currency or a conversion to USD, as they're almost always taking a piss with a huge markup (had such an offer at a shop in an outlet mall in York...looked to be an extra 5% for them to pocket if I let them "help" me by converting to USD right there), so do the transaction in Soles and have the credit card company do the exchange.

Assuming the UK account can transfer to Peru, if needed, it seems a decent choice (although USD might be a slightly stronger currency in the long run, you'd face another exchange down the road).

On the ISA, gov.uk (bold added):

"If you open an Individual Savings Account (ISA) in the UK then move abroad, you cannot put money into it after the tax year that you move (unless you’re a Crown employee working overseas or their spouse or civil partner).

You must tell your ISA provider as soon as you stop being a UK resident.

However, you can keep your ISA open and you’ll still get UK tax relief on money and investments held in it.

You can transfer an ISA to another provider even if you are not resident in the UK.

You can pay into your ISA again if you return and become a UK resident (subject to the annual ISA allowance)."

(I read that as you can toss money into it to the max for this tax year)

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Check they aren't cutting it with an exchange rate game. Make sure the exchange rate to be used is specified and the exchange occurs on a specified date. That'll remove most fiddles that can occur...check there's no vig on the actual transaction/transfer.

I assume you're keeping the Peruvian account in USD and exchanging as necessary, or using the bank's exchange with an advantageous rate. Watch the credit transactions that offer a choice of local currency or a conversion to USD, as they're almost always taking a piss with a huge markup (had such an offer at a shop in an outlet mall in York...looked to be an extra 5% for them to pocket if I let them "help" me by converting to USD right there), so do the transaction in Soles and have the credit card company do the exchange.

Assuming the UK account can transfer to Peru, if needed, it seems a decent choice (although USD might be a slightly stronger currency in the long run, you'd face another exchange down the road).

On the ISA, gov.uk (bold added):

"If you open an Individual Savings Account (ISA) in the UK then move abroad, you cannot put money into it after the tax year that you move (unless you’re a Crown employee working overseas or their spouse or civil partner).

You must tell your ISA provider as soon as you stop being a UK resident.

However, you can keep your ISA open and you’ll still get UK tax relief on money and investments held in it.

You can transfer an ISA to another provider even if you are not resident in the UK.

You can pay into your ISA again if you return and become a UK resident (subject to the annual ISA allowance)."

(I read that as you can toss money into it to the max for this tax year)

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Working backwards, I have been away from the UK since 2010 so the ISA wouldn't be an option. Technically I shouldn't have a UK bank account either but I've just kept it under my in-laws address and stayed schtum.

I was previously using Currencies Direct but found they were pulling my pants down with the rate so have switched to Wise. They are showing the actual figures which will be transferred in the receiver currency so I know I'm getting a much better rate than CD. The problem I have is that Peru doesn't inspire many financial firms in that Wise, for example, won't let me transfer money to my account with them but will facilitate a transfer between Euro or UK banks to Peruvian bank account so I need to decide which way to jump rather than hold it with Wise and watch the rate. 

It's the potential need to exchange again from UK to Peru but I feel it's probably the safest bet to fire it to the UK. If a Kwarteng/Truss type announcement could happen this week in order to make the pound freefall that would be great. Thanks again for your help. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2024 at 11:14, alta-pete said:

Finally got around to buying Yellow Cake today.

And it promptly fell 4%. 😃

image.png.547454f575d1d6055234ff118736bbf7.png

Not too much of a problem because it's a long term investment and I made 8% in a week buying Bunzl just before their Interim results.

Swings and roundabouts and I really shouldn't get hung up on daily moves anyway.

6 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Not too much of a problem because it's a long term investment and I made 8% in a week buying Bunzl just before their Interim results.

Swings and roundabouts and I really shouldn't get hung up on daily moves anyway.

Aye, I'm on a buy-and-forget mission and hope (pah!!) it'll all work out in the long run. No point selling the losers just to crystallise a loss nor seems it a clever idea to be taking profit from my better picks only to invest the money elsewhere. If it all runs to plan (pah!!) I'm looking at 20+ years of accumulation before I need to start thinking about liquidating things.

15 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

IMG_1676.jpeg.fb2a5a4f6919ffab096a9c08bb3354bb.jpeg

On 03/09/2024 at 16:09, Suspect Device said:

Yellowcake don't make anything, dig anything out of the ground,  provide a service, or pay dividends. They invest in stock exchange quoted and unquoted companes involved in the extraction and purification of Uranium.  As such, they are a pure punt on the price of Uranium.  Yellowcake share price has risen greatly since around 2020, and has fallen upwards of 20%, steadily down, since the turn of 2024. The company made a profit last year, except it isn't obvious from their reporting exactly where that profit came from.

There's been lots of speculation about where the price of uranium is heading, presumably associated in part with the development of Small Modular Reactors.

Rolls Royce is at the forefront of this technology.  Full scale production of SMR's is a long way in the future. Rolls Royce, at the limits of high technology, has always had difficulty in bringing projects successfully to market on time, and investors over the years have had a rocky ride.

To me, Yellowcake looks much the same.

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

Yellowcake don't make anything, dig anything out of the ground,  provide a service, or pay dividends. They invest in stock exchange quoted and unquoted companes involved in the extraction and purification of Uranium.  As such, they are a pure punt on the price of Uranium.  Yellowcake share price has risen greatly since around 2020, and has fallen upwards of 20%, steadily down, since the turn of 2024. The company made a profit last year, except it isn't obvious from their reporting exactly where that profit came from.

There's been lots of speculation about where the price of uranium is heading, presumably associated in part with the development of Small Modular Reactors.

Rolls Royce is at the forefront of this technology.  Full scale production of SMR's is a long way in the future. Rolls Royce, at the limits of high technology, has always had difficulty in bringing projects successfully to market on time, and investors over the years have had a rocky ride.

To me, Yellowcake looks much the same.

I knew it was just a punt on uranium. I've got other 'punts' which are a bit less of a risk. Gold and silver ETFs. They'v been fine but YCA is definitely in the risky side of my investments. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The S&P 500 has taken a bit of a doing in the last 48 hours so like any investing shagger I've #bought in the #dip.

Just any S&P index fund or do you have a specific choice?

26 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I knew it was just a punt on uranium. I've got other 'punts' which are a bit less of a risk. Gold and silver ETFs. They'v been fine but YCA is definitely in the risky side of my investments. 

Just any S&P index fund or do you have a specific choice?

Just the standard distributing one, brother.  The ticker symbol is VUSA.

From what I can see the UBS S&P 500 has outperformed the Vanguard ETF over a 10 year period by a fair margin.  Last 12 months 18.68% to 17.31% (probably best to check these figures).

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The S&P 500 has taken a bit of a doing in the last 48 hours so like any investing shagger I've #bought in the #dip.

It is what this top shagger is doing as well. Can't wait to be retired at 55 a millionaire man.