Irn Bru

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I could definitely see him on some sort of ITV morning show arguing his case passionately with piers Morgan.

Nah. His type was suited to Jeremy Kyle. That ship has sailed. 

6 hours ago, virginton said:

And yet when blind tested the majority of 'expert' wine tasters can't even tell the difference between its fundamental categories - red or white - never mind any of the varieties within them. Only a minority of experts successfully passed the test, which is explained by a high degree of professional experience and skill that you simply do not get by just guzzling a fizzy drink every day. 

But the ones without sugar contain sweeteners that fully imitate the properties of sugar. So if the contents of any drink could be determined by taste alone, it would of course be the one with more complex and more varied forms - like wine - rather than a soft drink that has one easily masked variable. 

Can you provide any studies that show majority of experts can't tell the difference, I've seen a few anecdotally that have them getting anywhere from 1/3 right to 5/7 right.

Do sweeteners full imitate sugar? I'm not sure I tend to drink coffee as a espresso very occasionally someone has made it with sugar added and once with a sugar substitute and I could tell the difference and much preferred the plain coffee but preferred the real sugar to the fake one. I think it's noticeable but agree in fizzy drinks it's not overwhelming.

The outrage from overweight, gout filled weegies about the sugar tax and changing of the irn bru is both a hilarious and sad indictment of the deep rooted health problems they have.
I agree with the tax, but give us the option of the old stuff at the increased price you absolute c***s.

Bring in new versions all you like but changing the original has been suicidal for the company - did I see 30% wiped off the share price in one day this year?

And can I just clarify that I am most certainly not a weegie.

9 minutes ago, red23 said:

The outrage from overweight, gout filled weegies about the sugar tax and changing of the irn bru is both a hilarious and sad indictment of the deep rooted health problems they have.

I kind of agree, although I can taste the difference in the sugar change, it’s not something I really give a f**k about. 

Stockpiling the old stuff seems kind of mental, but each to their own. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

This is anecdotal nonsense and quackery, not credible science. The reason why adults are less sensitive to flavours is because taste buds degrade through the standard aging process, not because they get scrubbed off by dietary consumption. 

Sugars, salts and spices can temporarily damage or numb the taste buds. Therefore, if you're using them regularly your taste buds will constantly be in a damaged/numbed state.

Spoiler

18. Reset your taste for sugar and salt by cutting them out for at least a week. Processed foods have so much sugar and salt that you’ll practically stop tasting them if you eat these foods often. Try this experiment: Check the salt content of your favorite cereal, and if it’s more than 200 mg sodium per serving, switch to a low-sodium brand for two weeks. Once you switch back, you’ll suddenly taste all the salt you were overlooking. Same goes for sugar.

19. Avoid very hot foods and fluids. They can damage your taste buds.

Source:

https://www.biail.com/hirsch.htm

https://ent.vcu.edu/staff/reiter.html

Back to you, or are you no longer playing?

I agree with the tax, but give us the option of the old stuff at the increased price you absolute c***s.

Bring in new versions all you like but changing the original has been suicidal for the company - did I see 30% wiped off the share price in one day this year?

And can I just clarify that I am most certainly not a weegie.

^ weegie

8 hours ago, sjc said:

Sugars, salts and spices can temporarily damage or numb the taste buds. Therefore, if you're using them regularly your taste buds will constantly be in a damaged/numbed state.

Hide contents

18. Reset your taste for sugar and salt by cutting them out for at least a week. Processed foods have so much sugar and salt that you’ll practically stop tasting them if you eat these foods often. Try this experiment: Check the salt content of your favorite cereal, and if it’s more than 200 mg sodium per serving, switch to a low-sodium brand for two weeks. Once you switch back, you’ll suddenly taste all the salt you were overlooking. Same goes for sugar.

19. Avoid very hot foods and fluids. They can damage your taste buds.

Source:

https://www.biail.com/hirsch.htm

https://ent.vcu.edu/staff/reiter.html

Back to you, or are you no longer playing?

A few times in the last couple of years I've 'eaten clean' for at least a month at a time and when you eventually go back to sinking your teeth into processed foods it's instantly obvious that they are drowned in salt and/or sugar. The one that sticks out the most was biting a bit of sliced ham out of a packet and having to spit it out as all I could taste was salt. Minging. 

Regarding sweetenergate, they've obviously been created to get as close to imitating sugar as they can without quite managing to replicate it exactly. Pretty basic stuff. Anytime I've tried to sneak Stevia into the missus' tea or coffee she's noticed right away. 

As for VT's performance on here, I can't believe it's taken me this long to realise but he must be on the spectrum somewhere so I won't be joining in with his humiliation.

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

A few times in the last couple of years I've 'eaten clean' for at least a month at a time and when you eventually go back to sinking your teeth into processed foods it's instantly obvious that they are drowned in salt and/or sugar. The one that sticks out the most was biting a bit of sliced ham out of a packet and having to spit it out as all I could taste was salt. Minging. 

Regarding sweetenergate, they've obviously been created to get as close to imitating sugar as they can without quite managing to replicate it exactly. Pretty basic stuff. Anytime I've tried to sneak Stevia into the missus' tea or coffee she's noticed right away. 

As for VT's performance on here, I can't believe it's taken me this long to realise but he must be on the spectrum somewhere so I won't be joining in with his humiliation.

Nah, he's too young to remember the ZX Spectrum.....

• 2 weeks later...