Irn Bru

No doubt a selection of catchphrases and waffle will follow, but I don’t think VT himself even believes all this nonsense about sugar and sweeteners having no taste difference. Even in a cup of coffee the taste difference between one with sugar and one with sweeteners is clear as day.

I can’t say I would notice with every brand of soft drink but as far as Irn Bru is concerned, the taste difference between new and old recipe Bru is very, very clear.

I also doubt that there’s be such clamour amongst us tight-fisted Scots to bring back the old stuff if the newer, cheaper stuff genuinely tasted the same.

You didn’t end this with ‘thanks for playing anyway’ so you are wrong.

I'm one of the 25%. Yuck.

Salts of saccharin are intensely sweet but also have a bitter taste to some individuals. Helgren et al. (Helgren et al., 1955) estimated that ∼25% of a European population will detect an off-taste to saccharin described as metallic or bitter.

https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article/27/1/31/305098

Just now, virginton said:

No credible medical professional, dietitian nor nutritionist does say this because it has no verifiable basis in science. I'm not so much the 'oracle of P and B' as a lay person who can grasp fundamental scientific facts through the credible works of others. In the same way that I don't actually have to be an astronomer to know that the Earth revolves around the Sun. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

They do though. It's the very reason my taste buds returned to full sensitivity after two months of just watery rice after surgery. It's the same reason why children (prior to exposure to sugars, salts and spices) are more sensitive to flavours than adults. We were advised to deprive our daughter of these very things.

9 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Jesus Christ, the state of Virginton in this thread. You can just tell his rinse, lather, repeat on the usual catchphrases is warming up. He's essentially the same type of sociopath as a small toddler but with an inflated vocabulary!

This is his MO. You will likely find him blundering about another few threads over the weekend till he finds somewhere that he doesnt get easily ragdolled like he has in here, rhyme off his usual bollocks patter then disappear again. He seems to have these moments of craving attention. Presumably when meth is in short supply. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is his MO. You will likely find him blundering about another few threads over the weekend till he finds somewhere that he doesnt get easily ragdolled like he has in here, rhyme off his usual bollocks patter then disappear again. He seems to have these moments of craving attention. Presumably when meth is in short supply. 

He is the epitome of diminishing returns. An absolute roasting fudnut of a laddie!

42 minutes ago, sjc said:

They do though. It's the very reason my taste buds returned to full sensitivity after two months of just watery rice after surgery. It's the same reason why children (prior to exposure to sugars, salts and spices) are more sensitive to flavours than adults. We were advised to deprive our daughter of these very things.

This is anecdotal nonsense and quackery, not credible science. The reason why adults are less sensitive to flavours is because taste buds degrade through the standard aging process, not because they get scrubbed off by dietary consumption. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

This is anecdotal nonsense and quackery, not credible science. The reason why adults are less sensitive to flavours is because taste buds degrade through the standard aging process, not because they get scrubbed off by dietary consumption. 

Are they less sensitive to it than you are to the fact you are getting absolutely rinsed on this thread?

That reads like you’re just trying to pass off your own ‘quackery’ as fact and making excuses for having the tasteless, toothless mooth of a wee auld man.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

That reads like you’re just trying to pass off your own ‘quackery’ as fact and making excuses for having the tasteless, toothless mooth of a wee auld man.

If you're a shit flinging moron like yourself, I imagine it does. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I find chilled red wine tasteless.

White wine can also be overly chilled which spoils the taste.  That’s why serving white wine in an ice bucket is a nonsense.

Not if you don't want to wash the glasses.