John Worboys

ICTChris

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Although not releated to Worboy, I went on the Peterhead Prison tour at the weekend and finally found out who the guy was that had a whole wing to himself, guarded by 4 prison staff at all times for over 20 years, real Hannibal Lecter style.

I asked the old former-guard working there who it was and although he said he couldn't give out the name, he gave me all the clues I needed and told me that the guy was living in Dundee now after he went down the whole 'human rights being violated' thing that you bring up.

The former-inmate in question was Thomas McCulloch, released in 2010 after spending 40+ years in jail for being a  mass murdering, axe-wielding psychopath who would cut off people's ears and would attack any fellow prisoners given an opportunity, to the point he needed two decades of solitary confinement.  Seems that during the Peterhead prison riot that the SAS had to break up, even the prisoners still kept this guy locked in his wing.  Older posters may remember the case (McCulloch & Mone), but it certainly bypassed me:  https://www.scotsman.com/news/triple-axe-murderer-thomas-mcculloch-released-1-2921895

Anyway, sleep tight Dundee...

Did you get caught out by the manikin at the hospital wing?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Although not releated to Worboy, I went on the Peterhead Prison tour at the weekend and finally found out who the guy was that had a whole wing to himself, guarded by 4 prison staff at all times for over 20 years, real Hannibal Lecter style.

I asked the old former-guard working there who it was and although he said he couldn't give out the name, he gave me all the clues I needed and told me that the guy was living in Dundee now after he went down the whole 'human rights being violated' thing that you bring up.

The former-inmate in question was Thomas McCulloch, released in 2010 after spending 40+ years in jail for being a  mass murdering, axe-wielding psychopath who would cut off people's ears and would attack any fellow prisoners given an opportunity, to the point he needed two decades of solitary confinement.  Seems that during the Peterhead prison riot that the SAS had to break up, even the prisoners still kept this guy locked in his wing.  Older posters may remember the case (McCulloch & Mone), but it certainly bypassed me:  https://www.scotsman.com/news/triple-axe-murderer-thomas-mcculloch-released-1-2921895

Pfft he wouldn't even rank on the nutcase scale in the hilltown he's wearing a tie ffs

I remember when they broke out from Carstairs. There was all the announcements on the radio and television telling people that they were very dangerous and not to approach them if you saw them. Although I was living in a 2nd floor flat, miles away from them, in the middle of Edinburgh, I put the little chain on the door just in case. :lol:

On Friday, January 05, 2018 at 10:26, KnightswoodBear said:

Is Warboys not a Duran Duran song?

I find myself breaking into a rendition of it when his name is mentioned on the news. Not pleasant.

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

East of  Dobbies?

If McCulloch was diagnosed as a psychopath, why was he released? I thought it wasn't possible for psychopaths to changed or be "cured" in any way. Their brain chemistry is just the way it is.

If McCulloch was diagnosed as a psychopath, why was he released? I thought it wasn't possible for psychopaths to changed or be "cured" in any way. Their brain chemistry is just the way it is.

You can’t determine a sentence on the basis of a diagnosis.

I’m not sure society did owe McCullough (or Worboys) a chance to rehabilitate however there has to be equality under whatever system we have.

My understanding is that psychopaths can't rehabilitate. I suppose the best you could hope for is that if released they would just live quietly under the radar, without having changed but obeying the law out of a sense of self-preservation.

It's no wonder that the other guy Robert Mone is still imprisoned though (I think?).  One look at the guy tells you everything you need to know:

image.jpg@1.903269.jpg

On 1 November 1967, Mone, whose motive was apparently revenge for being expelled from the school three years prior,  entered a girls' needlework class at St John's School armed with a shotgun. He subjected the 14- and 15-year-old pupils and their pregnant teacher, Nanette Hanson, to a 1 12-hour ordeal, before shooting Hanson dead, raping one girl, and sexually assaulting another.

In 1976, Mone broke out of Carstairs Hospital with fellow inmate, Thomas McCulloch, murdering another inmate and a male nurse in the process and also killing a police officer.

Still, everyone deserves a day off prison for a bit of window shopping around the high street:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6295240.stm

1 hour ago, nsr said:

He doesn't have to have been "cured" to be considered less of a risk. Being a psycopath doesn't necessarily mean he will be a danger to other people.

On 05/01/2018 at 10:26, KnightswoodBear said:

Is Warboys not a Duran Duran song?

Thought it was the name of another band?  

Whole of the Moon, Raggle Taggle Gypsy and a Bang on the Ear amongst other hits. 

48 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Thought it was the name of another band?  

Whole of the Moon, Raggle Taggle Gypsy and a Bang on the Ear amongst other hits. 

Taken that joke too far, too soon.

• 7 months later...

Worboys is now not being paroled.

The first parole board, that recommended his release found the following

IMG_0647.jpg

Following the judicial review a new board decided not to release him, citing the following reasons

IMG_0648.jpg

How exactly did the board come to such different conclusions after reviewing what is presumably similar evidence?

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Worboys is now not being paroled.

The first parole board, that recommended his release found the following

Following the judicial review a new board decided not to release him, citing the following reasons

How exactly did the board come to such different conclusions after reviewing what is presumably similar evidence?

The Sun and political worries for the Home Secretary. Otherwise the first parole board weren't given the full information. Either way it's fucking awful, hopefully it's the latter and can be rectified. If it's the first then we can forget about an independent judicial system.

Archived