A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 14/01/2018 at 11:07, jagfox BLM said:

CDAE1C04-513D-49B0-80F4-9FABD892698A.thumb.jpeg.194ce71bc34025a32b1e7aa8acf41d65.jpeg

Bobby Murdoch and Alex Rae lead out their teams for the League Cup Final on 23rd October 1971. Despite being written off by just about everybody outside of Firhill, Thistle would go on to create the biggest ever upset in Scottish Football history. Certainly for a cup final by winning 4-1. (4-0 ht ). 

Raith Rovers beating Celtic in ( League ) Cup final ?

On 14/08/2020 at 07:21, Academically Deficient said:

They were a very good team. Is that the season they won promotion? They drew Motherwell in the Scottish Cup and there was huge hype about that game. I went with my Dad to Fir Park to watch it, cos he'd heard so much about how good St Mirren were, the crowd was big (maybe close to 20,000) and there was a great atmosphere.

Motherwell were brutal and kicked St Mirren black and blue.

Craig Brown was Motherwell assistant at the time I think, and was on the radio recently, chuckling away at his memory of his pre-match instructions which were, in essence, "make sure you kick them black and blue". 

Any Saints fans have similar memories of this game?

Motherwell fans probably recall it as a typically robust performance and routine victory from their 70s team 😆

Went to Fir Park that day with my Arab mate.  In the previous round a Jackie Copland inspired St Mirren had whipped a very good Dundee Utd side 4-1 I think it was at Love St.  We went to the Love St game and were impressed by the quick flowing game of the young Saints side and so we decided we would go and watch them in the next round too.  Trouble was we set off late by train from Glasgow, got to Fir Park late and there were massive queues to get in - must have been a cash at the turnstiles game.  When we eventually got into the ground (at the SE corner) the terracing was rammed full and we could only see about two thirds of the pitch - the papers reckoned that well over 10,000 had travelled from Paisley that day and it looked it too.  From what I remember, Well were just too powerful for the Buddies as you say AD and had too much nous, plus Willie Pettigrew was on fire up front for Well then (think he was a Scotland cap by then too) - sure he got a goal that match.

Fine thread this btw - lots of great photos and memories.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Went to Fir Park that day with my Arab mate.  In the previous round a Jackie Copland inspired St Mirren had whipped a very good Dundee Utd side 4-1 I think it was at Love St.  We went to the Love St game and were impressed by the quick flowing game of the young Saints side and so we decided we would go and watch them in the next round too.  Trouble was we set off late by train from Glasgow, got to Fir Park late and there were massive queues to get in - must have been a cash at the turnstiles game.  When we eventually got into the ground (at the SE corner) the terracing was rammed full and we could only see about two thirds of the pitch - the papers reckoned that well over 10,000 had travelled from Paisley that day and it looked it too.  From what I remember, Well were just too powerful for the Buddies as you say AD and had too much nous, plus Willie Pettigrew was on fire up front for Well then (think he was a Scotland cap by then too) - sure he got a goal that match.

Fine thread this btw - lots of great photos and memories.

10,000? I heard it was 40,000

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Not even close. Thistle might not be the biggest surprise, but it was bigger than Raith.

The 94 Celtic team was shite.

Aye but the Raith team had the likes of Julian Broddle in it.  Incidentally his autobiography is worth a read, you can pick it up for the kindle for a couple of quid.

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Aye but the Raith team had the likes of Julian Broddle in it.  Incidentally his autobiography is worth a read, you can pick it up for the kindle for a couple of quid.

I'll be reading no book. Raith Rovers are on my list. I can't remember why exactly, but they're definitely on it.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Next stop: Ladeside Park, Muirkirk. Home of Muirkirk FC until 1986.

If you close your eyes you can just about hear the shouts of "haw you sir, haw you" at a poor referee who really had better things to be doing on a Saturday than putting up with this pish.

Muirkirk lost 70% of its population between 1901 and 2001, probably more since. The moors where the football ground lay used to be a hive of industry. IMG_20200822_120855.jpegIMG_20200822_120810.jpegIMG_20200822_120558.jpegIMG_20200822_115942.jpeg

13 hours ago, ropy said:

10,000? I heard it was 40,000

You got that figure from Tony Fitzpatrick, aye? 😉

Seriously, Fergie had the whole town wound up and behind the Buddies that year.  Seem to recall they were driving round the town during the week in cars with megaphones (like they used to do in elections) telling folk to get down to Love St on Saturdays to support the team.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Stop off in Glenbuck on way through to Ayrshire. It has a modicum of Scottish footballing history!

IMG_20200822_111645.jpegIMG_20200822_104604.jpegIMG_20200822_105839.jpegIMG_20200822_105041.jpeg

Yup, some serious fitba history in Glenbuck.

Stopped off in Glenbuck for a break 3 or 4 years ago on a bike ride and took this photo of the shrine to Bill Shankly complete with Liverpool scarves etc.

DSC03184.thumb.JPG.e3269c55514d1ff83fbfd7f1c73d6ff2.JPG

8 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Stop off in Glenbuck on way through to Ayrshire. It has a modicum of Scottish footballing history!

IMG_20200822_111645.jpegIMG_20200822_104604.jpegIMG_20200822_105839.jpegIMG_20200822_105041.jpeg

The week before the lockdown started I went down to Glenbuck to try and find the Shankly memorial, but only found the old mining village. I hope to get back and see the rest like you've managed to do here, great shots!

The week before the lockdown started I went down to Glenbuck to try and find the Shankly memorial, but only found the old mining village. I hope to get back and see the rest like you've managed to do here, great shots!
Oh no, you'll kick yourself when you see how close you were! It's hidden from view from the car park. You go just a wee bit further on and it's in a wee sort of bowl.

1 minute ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
31 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Oh no, you'll kick yourself when you see how close you were! It's hidden from view from the car park. You go just a wee bit further on and it's in a wee sort of bowl.

I did look around a bit, but in the end the March weather put a stop to that and made me go back to the car for a heat. If it's half-decent weather within the next week or two I'll go for another look and hopefully better weather. Glenbuck seems to me the kind of place that's always windy and by extension of that, cold too.