A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Nice to see Albert Kidd involved in another title decider! 

Eric Sinclair and Peter Mackie were fcuking dire when they moved to Paisley.

Can’t remember St Mirren ever signing a decent player from Dundee. 

Dundee got better players from St Mirren in exchange. 

Eric Sinclair became better known in Paisley as a newsagent close to the old Alamo.

Paul McStay evades Andre Van Tiggelen at Euro 92 in Sweden, Scotland should have been in front by half time, two great chances fell to to the wrong players, Richard Gough and Dave McPherson both had loose balls land at their feet in the box at set pieces and both ballooned them over the bar, I think the player on the left is Philipe Cocu, that may be a young Edgar Davids on the right but not 100% sure.

Edit, on second look that left may be Wim Jonk on the left methinks.

FB_IMG_1700311637744.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Paul McStay evades Andre Van Tiggelen at Euro 92 in Sweden, Scotland should have been in front by half time, two great chances fell to to the wrong players, Richard Gough and Dave McPherson both had loose balls land at their feet in the box at set pieces and both ballooned them over the bar, I think the player on the left is Philipe Cocu, that may be a young Edgar Davids on the right but not 100% sure.

FB_IMG_1700311637744.jpg

Pretty sure that is Rijkaard on the right.  Good pic tho.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1700311637744.jpg

Defo Jonk. Well remembered!

IMG_5142.thumb.jpeg.942503ce3f2625f9ea1da5dcf2d6b630.jpeg

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Eric Sinclair became better known in Paisley as a newsagent close to the old Alamo.

That was Graeme Sinclair, ex-Dumbarton and Celtic.

On 16/11/2023 at 11:35, kingjoey said:

Before it was covered and the segregation fence built, that was my favourite terracing outwith Pittodrie. Fantastic place to watch football.

Steepest terracing and best pies. I was there the week before the 3-3 decided on penalties 1987 Skol Cup Final, which I also attended. News came through via folks' radios that Butcher and Woods had both been send off and we were jubilant, just as we would later be in '91, coming out of the Merkland hearing that 'Well had scored a third that put us top.

A few months later in early '88 I was again standing on that scary terracing, in line with the 18 yard line at the old L shaped main stand end. Something happened which I've never seen repeated in the many years since. Jim Leighton had had some words with the stand side linesman a few minutes earlier. Leighton got the ball in his hands and went to punt the ball upfield. Instead of running up the line as would usually happen, the linesman stood on the 18 yard line, waiting to see if Leighton would carry the ball out of the box;  Leighton did in fact do that, and the linesman raised his flag to signal handball. The ref awarded the free kick but nothing came of it. I think we won 2-0 that day but the Utd keeper (I think it was Main) made one of the best saves I've ever seen in the flesh.

Edited by rollstar

7 hours ago, jagfox said:

Alan Rough punches clear vs Honved in the rare occasion of European football at Firhill.

FB_IMG_1700322135291.thumb.jpg.e3bea4591aec247509598ce393aa76ed.jpg

Oddly enough nearly 68 years ago Firhill hosted a European Cup Quarter Final:

Djurgardens (Sweden) 1 Hibernian 3, November 23rd 1955. 

"Though both of their second-half goals were presented to them by their opponents, Hibs thoroughly deserved to win their European Cup quarter-final first-leg tie at Firhill Park under the floodlights.

Hibs will be very strong favourites to reach the semi-finals, for Djurgardens, their Swedish opponents - forced to play their home leg in Glasgow due to freezing conditions back home - are most unlikely to achieve any better result in the second game on Hibs’ ground."

16 hours ago, Molotov said:

Yep...it's difficult for a quality player to sparkle in a pile of shite.

On 18/11/2023 at 12:03, Molotov said:

Peter Mackie is best remembered by me for this one against the erstwhile Rangers.

Having seen up ship the customary late goal sickener to McCoist, not for the first time, Mackie was having none of it and went on a mini solo run through the middle of them and knocked in an even later winner.

As ever with these type of things, it obviously wasn't on the telly.

image.png.723b1cb01f010776f148f9acf8d2f56f.png