A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 3/18/2019 at 19:02, Sergeant Wilson said:

In my time I can only remember 2 midweek afternoon midweek afternoon kick offs, both in early 70s.

Scottish Cup replay Alloa v Airdrie and Ballymena v Airdrie at Stranraer in the Texaco Cup. Neutral ground due the The Failed Statelet's inhabitants bomby activity. Airdrie won both. My Dad wouldn't let me off school to go. I've  seen pictures of the Ballymena game but not Alloa.

Dumbarton played a Scottish Cup replay at home to Brechin on a Wednesday afternoon in 1987

1 hour ago, Oscar P said:

It's not Ernst Happy, that's for sure.

If your chairman or head of recruitment etc presented you with Mark McGhee as your marquee summer signing I doubt you would be doing cartwheels truth be told.

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

If your chairman or head of recruitment etc presented you with Mark McGhee as your marquee summer signing I doubt you would be doing cartwheels truth be told.

Still hurting from that winning goal he got in the 84 Cup Final, I see Magee!

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Still hurting from that winning goal he got in the 84 Cup Final, I see Magee!

Big Packie, not for the first time, sold the jerseys from a cross ball in a big game, wasn't too clever at the first goal either. 

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Big Packie, not for the first time, sold the jerseys from a cross ball in a big game, wasn't too clever at the first goal either. 

Roy Aitken getting sent off probably didn't help your cause either.....

12 hours ago, Northboy said:

What would our national team give for a result like that these days?

Indeed.

It was part of Stirling Albion's world tour... They started in Greece, losing 2-0 to AEK Athens but they had won both the Greek and Balkan cups. This was followed by a 1-0 win over the Tehran XI. Finally they beat an All-Japan XI, presumably including foreigners, 3-1; then disposed of their national team 4-2 in Tokyo Olympic Stadium.

Truly different era altogether.

Simon Donnelly looks about 12 here playing for Celtic whilst sporting a cut to the face in 1994, a very underrated player in my opinion who contributed some huge performances and goals in the season we stopped the ten in 1998, that strip though, the 'big' hoops was one I personally detested.  

IMG_20190321_212416.jpg

Charlie Nicholas opens the scoring in Celtic's 2-1 win away to Ajax in the European Cup first round in September 1982, Frank McGarvey behind him joins the celebrations, a late winner from George McCluskey gave Celtic a 4-3 aggregate win, the following round saw a 4-2 aggregate defeat to Real Sociedad. 

FB_IMG_1553274717985.jpg

On 19/03/2019 at 11:30, Glenconner said:

Slightly odd part for me was my mother had died the day before and the old man had to start organising the funeral so rather than have me hanging around he offered/let me go to Aberdeen. Must sound really odd 46 years later.

Jesus.

Reading that broke my heart a little bit.