A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

The fixture above was obviously the Saturday afternoon league game. Just over 48 hours later, Muirton hosted its last Scottish Cup tie, Morton the visitors in a quarter-final replay. 

After only 1,575 turning out on the Saturday, that Monday evening saw an attendance of an incredible 8,337. It was the largest gate at Muirton, outside of Old Firm matches, since 1975 and over the 30 years since, it still ranks inside the top 20 home crowds not involving Rangers or Celtic. 

On a personal note, I'd never taken any interest that I recall in football but remember standing in the hallway that evening asking my dad where he was going. It would be the first game he'd gone to in a number of years and although I wasn't allowed to go on a school night, he promised to take me along to a Saturday game and in early April I watched Saints draw 1-1 with Partick Thistle in the second or third last game at the old ground.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Hugh Sproat: wore green when playing the Ibrox club, and blue when Celtic were in opposition.

Here's Hugh a few seasons later, clearly preparing for a game v Celtic...

season-19851986-ayr-utd-hugh-sproat-BJHX

(According to Wikipedia he was only 32 when this photo was taken :o )

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Football Fracas in 1922: Ibrox supporters involved.

11gr435.jpg

George Miller of Avenue Rd Springburn which a couple of years later became Northcroft Rd in the great Glasgow street name change

Indeed.

It was part of Stirling Albion's world tour... They started in Greece, losing 2-0 to AEK Athens but they had won both the Greek and Balkan cups. This was followed by a 1-0 win over the Tehran XI. Finally they beat an All-Japan XI, presumably including foreigners, 3-1; then disposed of their national team 4-2 in Tokyo Olympic Stadium.

Truly different era altogether.
In a similar vein, Motherwell did a tour of South America in the late 20's. They beat an Argentina/Uruguay select 3-0 (Uruguay won the inaugural World Cup a few years later) but lost 5-0 to Brazil in the last match before dashing straight after the final whistle to catch the boat home.

As you say, a different era.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

In a similar vein, Motherwell did a tour of South America in the late 20's. They beat an Argentina/Uruguay select 3-0 (Uruguay won the inaugural World Cup a few years later) but lost 5-0 to Brazil in the last match before dashing straight after the final whistle to catch the boat home.

As you say, a different era.

There were even non-league clubs at it. Edinburgh Civil Service toured the Russian Empire shortly before WWI and got a good result off what is now Zenit St Petersburg.

I think the Scottish Juniors Select once beat Norway.

22 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

If these have already been posted, apologies. If not, enjoy! emoji51.png

IMG_6768.jpg

That caption is wrong - it was the last season of the Southern League Cup (as can be seen in the picture of the trophy being presented). Scottish League Cup was introduced for 1946-47. They are correct that the trophy was reused later the same season, for the Victory Cup... which replaced the Summer Cup and was in place of the Scottish Cup... and Rangers won it by beating Hibs.

8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

2ltscxt.jpg

Cathkin Park, 1961, gates broken down to allow access in Third Lanark match v Rangers.

The guy walking off to the left has the takings in that wee bag...

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Avenue Road is to street names, what Albion Rovers is to football club names.

Curiosity of my part that the tenements were still around in my youth as might have been George Miller.

Edited by Glenconner

Evocative scene from Highbury for Arsenal v Rangers (1951).

Contrary to common assumptions this friendly not the first floodlit game at a first-class venue in Britain: that honour went to Arsenal v Hapoel Tel Aviv which was played the previous month.

7139677787_ac0c642e77_b.jpg