A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

11 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Some press photos as 31 years ago today a part time Saints held Rangers to a 0-0 draw in the Scottish cup semi final.

In the days before mobile phone technology we had no idea of what had happened in Sheffield as we played out the game at Celtic Park.

I remember walking back to the buses after the  game , everyone outside was singing then the people on the supporters buses were all sitting in silence. I cannot remember a word being said on the way back as everyone listened to the radio. A very strange day with 9000 saints fans in one corner of the Celtic Park terrace and half the main stand.

EVoMdZpUUAYvLS7?format=jpg&name=900x900

EVoMdVKUYAAyaou?format=jpg&name=small

EVoMdVfU0AkfU0M?format=jpg&name=900x900

EVoMdcqVAAAtfod?format=jpg&name=large

EVoTOwzU8AEEUOo?format=jpg&name=large

Celebrating a draw like that...ooof.

11 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Some press photos as 31 years ago today a part time Saints held Rangers to a 0-0 draw in the Scottish cup semi final.

In the days before mobile phone technology we had no idea of what had happened in Sheffield as we played out the game at Celtic Park.

I remember walking back to the buses after the  game , everyone outside was singing then the people on the supporters buses were all sitting in silence. I cannot remember a word being said on the way back as everyone listened to the radio. A very strange day with 9000 saints fans in one corner of the Celtic Park terrace and half the main stand.

EVoMdZpUUAYvLS7?format=jpg&name=900x900

EVoMdVKUYAAyaou?format=jpg&name=small

EVoMdVfU0AkfU0M?format=jpg&name=900x900

EVoMdcqVAAAtfod?format=jpg&name=large

EVoTOwzU8AEEUOo?format=jpg&name=large

Went to the replay.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Aye, yon Spartans ruined Edinburgh City's ancestral home :lol: And now we're ruining theirs..:whistle

The pitch wasn't helped by having two teams play on it- Craigroyston shared with Spartans at the time.

Dead right Tam, this is actually Craigroyston v Whitehill, I think WW won 2-0.

Edited by The Mantis

22 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Another couple of Muirton Park images that have been shared at the weekend.

The first is an early image from before the construction of the enclosure and it shows the importance of the railway line back then.

This second one has the enclosure but is pre proper floodlights.  Lowland league side Jeanfield Swifts old ground Simpson Park can be seen in the top right with what looks like someone playing on it.

Saints training pitches/carpark runs along the bottom left.

Just by coincidence I've been scanning some old pics during the lockdown. Here's Simpson Park in 1995. Swifts v Bonnyrigg in the SJC. Never realised the two grounds were so close together.

933226393_Untitled(3)(14).thumb.jpg.7b6ad3e73fe6357257bdf2d6e4084fec.jpg

4 hours ago, RedEd said:

Ayr United - 1983-84 (I think). A team with two future Scotland players.

received_2846419062101957.jpeg

I see Alan McInally, 4th from left in middle row.

I initially thought of Steve Nicol but can't pick him out. Without checking I think he would probably have left for Liverpool by 83/84.

Is the other one Bobby Connor (3rd from right in front row?). 

I initially thought of Steve Nicol but can't pick him out. Without checking I think he would probably have left for Liverpool by 83/84.
Nicol joined Liverpool in '81

34 minutes ago, Northboy said:

McInally and Connor are both there, along with Gerry Collins, Gerry Christie and Derek Frye. The manager is George Caldwell (front right). I think there are some players missing from the photo. As GNU_Linux said, Stevie Nicol left  a couple of years before.

On 15/04/2020 at 06:30, realmadrid said:

Another couple of Muirton Park images that have been shared at the weekend.

The first is an early image from before the construction of the enclosure and it shows the importance of the railway line back then.

EVaKEh5WsAU9nPM?format=jpg&name=medium

This second one has the enclosure but is pre proper floodlights.  Lowland league side Jeanfield Swifts old ground Simpson Park can be seen in the top right with what looks like someone playing on it.

Saints training pitches/carpark runs along the bottom left.

EVggb2hWkAY4RL8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Did the ice rink close at the same time as Muirton Park? Looks like it's the right dimensions for ice hockey, unlike the new Dewars rink which is just weird to play on. 

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

Did the ice rink close at the same time as Muirton Park? Looks like it's the right dimensions for ice hockey, unlike the new Dewars rink which is just weird to play on. 

Early on it was a joint deal but the Geoff Brown and Mr Hay from the Ice rink wanted different things and tried to call each others bluff

They moved to the Glasgow Road with the new swimming pool (The old one had also been close to Muirton Park) and we moved to McDiarmid.

its a shame there is nothing at Asda to mark the old location at all. 

3 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Early on it was a joint deal but the Geoff Brown and Mr Hay from the Ice rink wanted different things and tried to call each others bluff

They moved to the Glasgow Road with the new swimming pool (The old one had also been close to Muirton Park) and we moved to McDiarmid.

its a shame there is nothing at Asda to mark the old location at all. 

It’s not just a shame, it’s a travesty.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Robert Conner in action v England in 1989.  Forgot he played in that game until reading this thread...

13906651_1774559092781461_11599295639039

Connor.

42 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It’s not just a shame, it’s a travesty.

I thought there was a wee spot on the floor in ASDA to mark the centre spot. Maybe not.

Anyway, Brockville Morrisons is a lesson in paying respect to a site's past; I recommend it.

On 16/04/2020 at 21:32, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Connor.

I thought there was a wee spot on the floor in ASDA to mark the centre spot. Maybe not.

Anyway, Brockville Morrisons is a lesson in paying respect to a site's past; I recommend it.

Nope, no spot.

Incidentally,  Connor also scored with his shin in a cup game, in which Aberdeen FC payed for the muirton park segregation fence so they could raise the attendance. 

Edited by tree house tam

11 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Connor.

Good to know.