A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

14 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Fans in The Tall Cranes pub for the England v Scotland game in 1967

6DE5CEBC-53D5-4054-BAC8-282FED36BBD0.jpeg

Pretty sure that's the same boozer that guy who ran the Celtic supporters club, The Govan Emerald CSC had for a while before he got jailed for punching a polis horse before a Scottish Cup game with Airdrie a couple of year ago, I'm sure you know the guy I'm referring to, absolute maniac of a fellow. 🤦‍♂️😂

The Boys Book of Soccer for 1948. It’s not Scottish but does mention Derby County paying Greenock Morton £15,000 for Willie Steel who was better known as Billy Steel when he eventually moved to Dundee. The photographs in the link from the 1947 FA Cup Final has at least 1 Scottish player, Chris Duffy ex Leith Athletic. He scored the only goal in extra time to help Charlton Athletic to win their one and only FA Cup Final win. He also played in the Final the year before when Charlton lost 1-4 to Derby County. 

https://www.isthmian.co.uk/an-annual-event-the-boys-book-of-soccer-1948-64848

On 22/12/2020 at 18:56, Dundee Hibernian said:

Scottish Football League XI - 1934/5 at Stamford Bridge.

Back (left to right): Massie (Hearts), Cooper (Aberdeen), Kennaway (Celtic), McGonagle (Celtic), Herd (Hearts). Front: Main (Rangers), Miller (Partick Thistle), McCulloch (Hearts), Napier (Celtic), Reid (Hamilton Academicals), Reid (Rangers).

Scottish Football League at Stamford Bridge.jpg

Being in my 20s, the idea of a Scottish League XI coming together for a game seems quite mental. When was the last time this happened and why did it stop?

Only comparable thing that I've seen is during testimonials, but I'd love to see now what the team would look like. Mind you, it'd probably be a Celtic/Rangers* XI with an Aberdeen or Hibs player on the bench.

33 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Being in my 20s, the idea of a Scottish League XI coming together for a game seems quite mental. When was the last time this happened and why did it stop?

Only comparable thing that I've seen is during testimonials, but I'd love to see now what the team would look like. Mind you, it'd probably be a Celtic/Rangers* XI with an Aberdeen or Hibs player on the bench.

and did you know ... ?

Denis Law played for the Italian league  !

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_League_XI

Lack of interest stopped them and fixture congestion would prevent any resurrection...as well as the same lack of interest.

You might get some mileage from an occasional England, Spain, Italy, Germany tournament.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

The last Scottish League XI may have been assembled for a game against Scotland National team to celebrate the League's centenary in 1990. I was at the game and Hampden wasn't exactly full..

There have been Highland League XI and East of Scotland League XIs assembled in the last 20 years as they supplied players for a Scotland Non-League team. Two Edinburgh City players, Ross Macnamara and Steven Clee played against England C who had a player that went on to better things- Steve Morrison of Leeds, Norwich and Cardiff.

Edited by tamthebam

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

There was an Inter League Championship (for the "British Empire Trophy"), equivalent to the Home Nations Championship... It was contested by the Football League, Scottish League, Irish League and League of Ireland. It was played annually until 1961-62 and then biannually until 1971-72. Unsurprisingly the Football League won almost two-thirds, with the Scottish League winning most of the rest. Before the Great War the Southern League participated. In the early 1950s the Welsh League played in a number of matches but never joined the championship. During the 1950s the Irish League also played an annual challenge match against Western Command.

First-ever inter-league international was Football League v Scottish in Bolton in April 1892. Scottish League had only been formed the previous season.

Usually the Irish leagues met home-n-away each season (in Dublin on St Patrick's Day then in Belfast on Easter Monday)... After it went biannual the Football League and Scottish League continued to meet annually as it still got decent crowds. They forced the tournament to go biannual from 1962 to free-up dates for more glamorous opponents (like the Italian League and Belgian League).

Games against the Italian League were especially popular as players like John Charles, Gerry Hitchens and Denis Law had moved to Italian clubs then were being picked for their league select. There were 68,000 at Hampden for Scottish League 1-1 Italian League in November 1961 and this was regarded as a big disappointment... 100,000 were expected, but there was torrential rain. Record attendance for an inter-league match was 90,000 at Scottish League v Football League at Ibrox in 1949... and it was on a Wednesday afternoon!

There was also an annual Scotland v Scottish League game from 1958 to 1965. It acted as a trial match to help decide who should be picked for the home and inter-league internationals.

There were also one-off inter-league matches for commemorative occasions and against special opponents like Staevnet (aka Copenhagen XI), Hesse, the USA and Australia.

Scottish League v Football League was last played in 1976. Since then there have been games not involving top-tier players from time to time. However the only games involving true best were Glasgow  v Football League in 1977 (for HM Queen's Silver Jubilee); Football League v Rest of the World in 1988 (for the Football League centenary); then Scotland v Scottish League in 1990 (for the Scottish League centenary).

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There was an Inter League Championship (for the "British Empire Trophy"), equivalent to the Home Nations Championship... It was contested by the Football League, Scottish League, Irish League and League of Ireland. It was played annually until 1961-62 and then biannually until 1971-72.

Not biennially?

As this is supposed to be a 'Photographic History' thread - here are some programme covers from Scottish League games against the different regular opponents. Unsurprisingly most home games v Irish League were at Ibrox and most v League of Ireland were at Parkhead - although this wasn't always the case (as you can see in 1958).

After the 1920s the only game taken out of Glasgow was Scotland v Scottish League in 1958 at Hibs (plus Scottish League Second Division v Irish League in 1980 at Motherwell).

SCOTTISH+LEAGUE+V+IRISH+LEAGUE+-+07-09-1

8cbszlT.jpg

scotland-1961.jpg

scotland-1962.jpg

Dgt6XyZXkAArK2T.jpg

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

As this is supposed to be a 'Photographic History' thread - here are some programme covers from Scottish League games against the different regular opponents. Unsurprisingly most home games v Irish League were at Ibrox and most v League of Ireland were at Parkhead - although this wasn't always the case (as you can see in 1958).

After the 1920s the only game taken out of Glasgow was Scotland v Scottish League in 1958 at Hibs (plus Scottish League Second Division v Irish League in 1980 at Motherwell).

Dgt6XyZXkAArK2T.jpg

I had this one. My old man's mate used to drive team buses and got me that among others.

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I had this one. My old man's mate used to drive team buses and got me that among others.

That was the last-ever Scottish League v Football League game. I've got an almost complete set of inter-league programmes... some of them are more artistic than others. Here's a few of the better ones in the SFL v FL series, from searching online.

DgZYWfXWsAEsepa.jpg     s-l1600.jpg

EUDwRrRXQAcaIpe.jpg     Football-League-v-Scottish-League-18-03-

DgtDjfIWsAEd3C2.jpg     0b7822418d9ead8b07897b381958adfd.jpg

image006.png?h=e49b0716&itok=hgRe6tdX

s-l500.jpg     ef29b50ea141a0e8c71af22cdaed4f55.jpg

9 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I've a vague memory of attending one of these in the 70s at Fir Park. Maybe against League of Ireland? 

Anyway, this David Cassidy lookalike was playing. For the Scottish League. And he didn't look like David Cassidy anymore.

20201227_221315.jpg