A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 03/10/2020 at 11:03, Flybhoy said:

Neil Orr and Andy Ritchie of Morton, can't place the guy on the right, I'm sure older posters can help.

IMG_20201003_110209.jpg

John McNeil.

Spent almost all of his career at Morton, save a very brief swap spell with Dundee United’s Ian Gibson. John does not have fond memories of those nanoseconds at Tannadice.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Here's Big Ivo skipping past some Falkirk jobber.

download.jpg.e09528de596fe7ce3276c3510063cf8f.jpg

Here he is taking on some Clydebank jobber.

DAFC_v_Clydebank_13_05_1995_Ivo_den_Bieman_5821.thumb.jpg.c31381b19ea9c80131b993ef7bfc1d94.jpg

That's left back extraordinaire Tommy McQueen to you. 

In the background the legendary moustachiod Dragutin Ristic jogs back in a leisurely manner, as was his wont.

20 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Morton team from 1970-71.

George Anderson and Davie Hayes would still be in the team 10 years later. 

Gerry Sweeney played in every position conceivable at Cappielow - he moved to Bristol City within the year.

1447059812_1970.8Team.thumb.jpg.41b6acb43de8f8fb593ab4b22ad1fd50.jpg

Presumably Big Joe had departed for Leeds by then?

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Presumably Big Joe had departed for Leeds by then?

Yes.

The story goes that the Leeds manager was in the stand during a game at Cappielow. He turned to Hal Stewart and said "I'll give you 15 grand for your centre forward".

Hal replied "Done".

12 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

In the background the legendary moustachiod Dragutin Ristic jogs back in a leisurely manner, as was his wont.

I met Tommy at a party years ago. Very nice guy - had a few stories from when Fergie was in charge at Pittodrie.

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

I met Tommy at a party years ago. Very nice guy - had a few stories from when Fergie was in charge at Pittodrie.

Aye, sad to hear the passing of Tommy Docherty - he was always good for a funny quote when interviewed - had a sense of humour and that always ticks the box for me.

Not sure if I should mention this at his time of passing but .......... at the end of the 70s I was working in London alongside a Liverpool season ticket holder.  He told me that the Saturday after the news of Tommy's affair with Mary Brown (wife of a coach at Man United?) hit the headlines Man United played Liverpool at Anfield.  He said that when Tommy followed his United team out of the tunnel at Anfield the whole of the Kop was bouncing and singing (to the tune of the cockney classic "Knees up Mother Brown") ........ "Who's up Mary Brown, who's up Mary Brown, Tommy Tommy Docherty" ........... to which The Doc responded in kind with a double handed "V" salute back to the Kop.  Always topical the Scousers ......

46 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtic v United  1974 Scottish cup final. 

D77CAA28-3531-480D-BFD0-27C6BF0303A3.jpeg

Cracking photo - but what a god awful manky dump Hampden was back then - always wore my worst jeans and shoes when I went.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, sad to hear the passing of Tommy Docherty - he was always good for a funny quote when interviewed - had a sense of humour and that always ticks the box for me.

Not sure if I should mention this at his time of passing but .......... at the end of the 70s I was working in London alongside a Liverpool season ticket holder.  He told me that the Saturday after the news of Tommy's affair with Mary Brown (wife of a coach at Man United?) hit the headlines Man United played Liverpool at Anfield.  He said that when Tommy followed his United team out of the tunnel at Anfield the whole of the Kop was bouncing and singing (to the tune of the cockney classic "Knees up Mother Brown") ........ "Who's up Mary Brown, who's up Mary Brown, Tommy Tommy Docherty" ........... to which The Doc responded in kind with a double handed "V" salute back to the Kop.  Always topical the Scousers ......

Your work colleague has employed some licence I think.

The news of the affair emerged in the summer after Man United had beaten Liverpool in the FA Cup final.  A short while later, at the start of July, Man United sacked him.

There won't have been games between the news breaking and the dismissal.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The news of the affair emerged in the summer after Man United had beaten Liverpool in the FA Cup final.  A short while later, at the start of July, Man United sacked him.

What? Scouser not quite telling the truth...... shock, horror.....

Too far back now, so couldn't be bothered checking... 

On 31/12/2020 at 14:13, AyrshireTon said:

St. Mirren v Morton 1996 - from the rather steep Caley stand.895179478_1996_11_16St.Mirren1-0Morton(9).thumb.jpg.67b5e93e438ceed5e795601630edd3aa.jpg

674300757_1996_11_16St.Mirren1-0Morton(11).thumb.jpg.6ddea1df11356eca560f5c4be5f5f713.jpg

January (0-1) or November (1-0)?

ETA given our strip is predominately white it is the November game.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1996&GameID=199611160

Edited by Arch Stanton

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think he was sacked before the season started and the singing referred to happened when he was at Anfield managing Derby County....his next job after Manchester United. 

On 01/01/2021 at 01:02, Ranaldo Bairn said:

12 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Tommy troubles?