A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

George Best testimonial in 1988.

A few Scottish football connections aside from the ex Hibbee.

Michael O'Neil in the back row right hand side with Frank McAvennie and Willie Henderson in the front row as well as Liam Brady who, had a turbulent couple of years managing Celtic in the early 1990's.

IMG_20221018_210512.jpg

A few Scottish connections in the opposition team that night, Roy Aitken, a very young George O'Boyle, Allen McKnight ex Celtic goalkeeper who played a handful of games in the centenary double winning side of 1988 before a disastrous spell at West Ham which he never really recovered from. 

Also in the picture are Trevor Francis and Dave McCreery who had short spells with Rangers and Hearts in the late 1980's.

FB_IMG_1666124119145.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

47 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A few Scottish connections in the opposition team that night, Roy Aitken, a very young George O'Boyle, Allen McKnight ex Celtic goalkeeper who played a handful of games in the centenary double winning side of 1988 before a disastrous spell at West Ham which he never really recovered from. 

Also in the picture are Trevor Francis and Dave McCreery who had short spells with Rangers and Hearts in the late 1980's.

FB_IMG_1666124119145.jpg

McKnight played in one of the first Meadowbank Thistle matches I went to- he was on loan to Albion Rovers and got sent off. Meadowbank won easily, I was converted, and my life was ruined. 

What a b*****d. 

50 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1666124119145.jpg

You mention Allen McKnight but fail to pick out Ossie Ardiles and, I think, Johan Neeskens.

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You mention Allen McKnight but fail to pick out Ossie Ardiles and, I think, Johan Neeskens.

I mentioned players with a connection to Scottish football, like McKnight, Aitken, McCreery, O'Boyle etc in keeping with the title and theme of the thread, obviously Ardiles is one of the most recognizable and famous faces in the picture, although one could say the same about Johnny Rep but I completely missed him in the picture till he was pointed out to me but, neither have a direct connection with Scottish football other than having played a few times against the national side and club sides.

7 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I mentioned players with a connection to Scottish football, like McKnight, Aitken, McCreery, O'Boyle etc in keeping with the title and theme of the thread, obviously Ardiles is one of the most recognizable and famous faces in the picture, although one could say the same about Johnny Rep but I completely missed him in the picture till he was pointed out to me but, neither have a direct connection with Scottish football other than having played a few times against the national side and club sides.

I can almost see your point, but they are world famous players in a photo you posted. By the way, pretty sure it's not Johnny Rep but Johan Neeskens.

Keeping on the George Best theme, this is a picture from when I met George on the day he played for Scone Thistle

Top trolling by someone who i would get to know a few years later who turned up in the Liverpool kit (He maintains it was his Dad's idea)

BGIcLGCCUAEXaiB?format=jpg&name=900x900

24 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Keeping on the George Best theme, this is a picture from when I met George on the day he played for Scone Thistle

Top trolling by someone who i would get to know a few years later who turned up in the Liverpool kit (He maintains it was his Dad's idea)

BGIcLGCCUAEXaiB?format=jpg&name=900x900

Nice one, I think you and I were in school together M!

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I can almost see your point, but they are world famous players in a photo you posted. By the way, pretty sure it's not Johnny Rep but Johan Neeskens.

Neeskens is front right (right enough) but on his right and next to Ardiles is, I think, Johnny Rep. His connection to Scottish football? Thon blooter fae about 40 yards against us in Argentina '78.

29 minutes ago, Bialystock said:

Neeskens is front right (right enough) but on his right and next to Ardiles is, I think, Johnny Rep. His connection to Scottish football? Thon blooter fae about 40 yards against us in Argentina '78.

Sorry, you're spot on. I've tried to wipe the memory of Johnny Rep since 1978.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

We were talking about half time scoreboards a couple of weeks back. Just by coincidence the police were searching my hard drive for something and came upon this one from Cappielow from 1996.

image.thumb.jpeg.49f75c4809c3383076db3244ad569382.jpeg

FTFY :P