A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

image.png.038db7467c7543ac0095ec1fb08f8d1d.png

Alex McLeish & then club record 700k signing Ulises De La Cruz. Post football De La Cruz wound up in politics serving 4 years from 2013-2017 in Ecuador's National Assembly as a member of the governing PAIS party.

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

EFiM2eYWkAAU4oU?format=jpg&name=medium

December 1982 and Scotland U21s line up ahead of an impressive 2-1 win in Belgium, on their way to topping a group that also included East Germany and Switzerland. In the process putting the full team to shame, as they finished bottom of their corresponding Euros section. 

The lads would ultimately lose in the quarter finals, 4-3 on aggregate to a Yugoslavia side which included future legends Stojkovic, Katanec and Pancev.

For the benefit of our younger readers, the under 21s used to be able to field an over age player. The more eagle eyed among you may be able to spot him....

Can't be the goalie as he was eligible for the Saudi Arabia U16 team...

For years Pancev was the only Macedonian footballer I could name and Katanec the only Slovene one. Katanec went on to manage Macedonia.

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

EFiM2eYWkAAU4oU?format=jpg&name=medium

December 1982 and Scotland U21s line up ahead of an impressive 2-1 win in Belgium, on their way to topping a group that also included East Germany and Switzerland. In the process putting the full team to shame, as they finished bottom of their corresponding Euros section. 

The lads would ultimately lose in the quarter finals, 4-3 on aggregate to a Yugoslavia side which included future legends Stojkovic, Katanec and Pancev.

For the benefit of our younger readers, the under 21s used to be able to field an over age player. The more eagle eyed among you may be able tmrao spot him....

Think I know who you mean. 🤔

On 15/06/2023 at 23:48, Bogbrush1903 said:

With regards the European Cup Final, he only had himself to blame as he laid out one of the Barcelona players although there was no doubt agitation in a violent contest.

The old footage I've seen of McQueen, he would be very quick to react aggressively.

The punch is just after 7:30 in the below video

Yes, I've seen that clip before.

Perhaps saying he was "robbed" of the chance to play, involved the wrong choice of word.  It's true, however, that he did miss out on what would probably have represented the peaks of his career.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I've seen that clip before.

Perhaps saying he was "robbed" of the chance to play, involved the wrong choice of word.  It's true, however, that he did miss out on what would probably have represented the peaks of his career.

I agree with you on the Scotland 1978 World Cup squad, that he was in the prime of his career and deserved the chance to be in that team rather than the likes of Forsyth had it not been for injury.

I think you used the word "tragic" for missing out on them European Cup final  though but it was a lack of self-discipline not to react explosively, which was a constant throughout his career, that cost him in 1975.

I mean there was very few actions in 1975 that would result in a straight red card but punching someone in the face off the ball in front of the referee was certainly treading a fine line.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree with you on the Scotland 1978 World Cup squad, that he was in the prime of his career and deserved the chance to be in that team rather than the likes of Forsyth had it not been for injury.

I think you used the word "tragic" for missing out on them European Cup final  though but it was a lack of self-discipline not to react explosively, which was a constant throughout his career, that cost him in 1975.

I mean there was very few actions in 1975 that would result in a straight red card but punching someone in the face off the ball in front of the referee was certainly treading a fine line.

Yes, fair enough.

I'm too young to have seen anything but the later part of his career, but I don't especially remember him as particularly hot headed.  

Did he get into trouble a lot? 

Edited by Monkey Tennis

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.

I'm too young to have seen anything but the later part of his career, but I don't especially remember him as particularly not headed.  

There's a brilliant series called Leeds United The Wilderness Years - available online and YouTube where McQueen has a proper square go with David Harvey when they almost conceded from a corner. The whole series is brilliant, but I think this incident was possibly episode 8.

15 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

There's a brilliant series called Leeds United The Wilderness Years - available online and YouTube where McQueen has a proper square go with David Harvey when they almost conceded from a corner. The whole series is brilliant, but I think this incident was possibly episode 8.

Ta.

How come that period of dominance features in a series called The Wilderness Years?  I'm guessing its main focus can't be on the early to mid 70s?

51 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.

I'm too young to have seen anything but the later part of his career, but I don't especially remember him as particularly hot headed.  

I only remember his latter period at Old Trafford too; however, I think he admitted himself that he had a short fuse and was slightly indisciplined.

I had another example of that short fuse whilst he was at Old Trafford but, for the moment, I'm having a memory blank about the match.

EDIT: It was a match for United at White Hart Lane and I'm sure it was little Terry Gibson that was the recipient of another flying fist straight on the nose but the cameras only captured McQueen heading towards him but not the actual punch.

I didn't realise that he made as many as 30 caps and 5 goals or that he actually won one cap during the 1980s.

However, one cap after the age of 28 and a career that tailed off quite quickly during the 1980s highlights that it was in the 1970s that saw McQueen at his best.

Perhaps the Argentinian World Cup might've been more productive with McQueen and McGrain in defence and Souness in midfield from the beginning....

Edited by Bogbrush1903

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ta.

How come that period of dominance features in a series called The Wilderness Years?  I'm guessing its main focus can't be on the early to mid 70s?

The first episode starts after they lost the European Cup Final to Bayern Munich, on the back of some dodgy officiating, and the subsequent decline, right through to when Howard Wilkinson revived them.

It's a brilliant series and each episode is only about ten or twelve minutes long. My absolute favourite bit is the referee standing on the pitch shouting into a mic for the crowd to leave the pitch as under no circumstances is he going to abandon the game.

Visits from the two Manchester clubs suggest that the War of the Roses never quite finished.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.

Probably the last time you'll get to say that.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Visits from the two Manchester clubs suggest that the War of the Roses never quite finished.

I've attended Leeds fixtures against both, and was surprised to see the vitriol between fans in the City matches. Right back to the first match I attended in the Gelderd End, where City fans somehow managed to get in in sporadic pockets causing mayhem, there appears to be no love lost between Leeds and the sky blue side of Manchester. 

But it's always been worse between ManU and Leeds, although ManU fans have watered down this fixture as Leeds have faltered over the years. But supporters of The Whites still retain a healthy loathing of ManU, to the extent that very few will wear anything red to matches.

Yet in the 'seventies, LUFC at times adopted all red jerseys for some matches, as seen here in 1973 for an FA Cup quarter at the Baseball Ground against Derby: not many retro replicas avavilable of this outfit in Yorkshire!

1973facupquarter.thumb.jpg.fe1b0518aa487a13a03d114e61afb4f3.jpg

And to keep on the Scottish theme of the thread, it's double European Cup winning captain on the left John McGovern on the right (0 Scottish caps), and Eddie Gray (12 caps).  A travesty in McGovern's case, and the amount Eddie Gray received was also not in keeping with his talents.

On 15/06/2023 at 13:31, Eednud said:

Sad news about Gordon McQueen. Here he is scoring Scotland’s first goal in the 2-1 win at Wembley in 1977.

Not sure where I heard it, but apparently big Gordon rallied the team before going out by yelling "Right lads, let's gie them the Timps!"
A reference to the famous Timpson fitba bits.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I've attended Leeds fixtures against both, and was surprised to see the vitriol between fans in the City matches. Right back to the first match I attended in the Gelderd End, where City fans somehow managed to get in in sporadic pockets causing mayhem, there appears to be no love lost between Leeds and the sky blue side of Manchester. 

But it's always been worse between ManU and Leeds, although ManU fans have watered down this fixture as Leeds have faltered over the years. But supporters of The Whites still retain a healthy loathing of ManU, to the extent that very few will wear anything red to matches.

Yet in the 'seventies, LUFC at times adopted all red jerseys for some matches, as seen here in 1973 for an FA Cup quarter at the Baseball Ground against Derby: not many retro replicas avavilable of this outfit in Yorkshire!

1973facupquarter.thumb.jpg.fe1b0518aa487a13a03d114e61afb4f3.jpg

And to keep on the Scottish theme of the thread, it's double European Cup winning captain on the left John McGovern on the right (0 Scottish caps), and Eddie Gray (12 caps).  A travesty in McGovern's case, and the amount Eddie Gray received was also not in keeping with his talents.

There were several occasions where David Harvey played for Leeds wearing his red Umbro Scotland goalie top. Not sure what Leeds' kit makers (Admiral, I think) made of it, although I'd imagine kit contracts were light years apart from where they are nowadays.