A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

23 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Celtic_vs_Heart_of_Midlothian_1912.jpg.ac5eae021069ad919d7ae6104c8aa199.jpg

Pretty sure the Celtic player in centre of the picture is John Brown, he scored the winner in this match. He was from Clackmannan and started his senior career with Alloa. Went on to Chelsea from Celtic. His older brother William was the captain of Alloa when he was killed in a mining accident in Kennet in 1909. 

11 hours ago, Mr Meeker said:

How about some iconic advertising hoardings to settle this amicably.  

Like "Johnston's for Rolls, Firhill for Thrills"? Or was it vice versa?

12 hours ago, Mr Meeker said:

How about some iconic advertising hoardings to settle this amicably.  

I've seen some good ones , unfortunately they all have some pesky irrelevance like Jimmy Johnstone, Pat Stanton or Willie Henderson getting in the way...

Edited by kennie makevin
Edit

11 hours ago, Waspie said:

Pretty sure the Celtic player in centre of the picture is John Brown, he scored the winner in this match. He was from Clackmannan and started his senior career with Alloa. Went on to Chelsea from Celtic. His older brother William was the captain of Alloa when he was killed in a mining accident in Kennet in 1909. 

John Brown scored one in Celtic's 3-0 win, Jimmy McMenemy got the other two. 

m-Dbj9yuj5M-Vui9LPi4IA187422.jpeg

1 hour ago, sexybaldyguy said:

That’s my pics 😀 

I found them in an online gallery about 15 years ago. I remember your nom de plume from that, and I quite deliberately left the watermarks on to reference the source. The one of the TV camera was back-to-front, and I had to flip it the right way round, hence why the watermark is now back-to-front.

See earlier in the thread for your Arsenal game pictures also. 👍

I've got the 1982 new year game with Morton up my sleeve as well.

On 21/06/2023 at 23:07, Dundee Hibernian said:

Celtic_vs_Heart_of_Midlothian_1912.jpg.ac5eae021069ad919d7ae6104c8aa199.jpg

That’s an incredible photo.
One guy standing with his hand on his hip as if he cares not a jot what’s going on around him.

I’m not sure what his teammate’s doing but it’s definitely not challenging for the ball, while the Celtic player is trying a ballet move.

would have been a great photo for Spot The Ball.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

image.thumb.png.7e9e48d137f40c4343c1a0584ba5e0ba.png

The year after, and Jimmy MacTartan Robertson scores for Falkirk as they defeat Raith Rovers 2-0 to win the Cup at Parkhead.

He's offside.

Definitely.

We wuz cheated.

Edited by Specky Ginger

5 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I found them in an online gallery about 15 years ago. I remember your nom de plume from that, and I quite deliberately left the watermarks on to reference the source. The one of the TV camera was back-to-front, and I had to flip it the right way round, hence why the watermark is now back-to-front.

See earlier in the thread for your Arsenal game pictures also. 👍

I've got the 1982 new year game with Morton up my sleeve as well.

Brilliant and it was the game on the 29th of November.

On 23/06/2023 at 15:19, Specky Ginger said:

He's offside.

Definitely.

We wuz cheated.

You're only offside when the Ref/Linesperson/VAR(these days) say you are. 

Any Centre Forward who isn't caught Offside two or three times in a match simply isn't doing his/her job. 

Somebody asked for advertising so here is one that’s been posted before. It’s Tannadice Park in April 1960 and just happens to be Dundee United playing Berwick Rangers in the foreground. United won 1-0 in front of 16,900 to win promotion to the top division for the first time since 1931/32.

IMG_1625.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Somebody asked for advertising so here is one that’s been posted before. It’s Tannadice Park in April 1960 and just happens to be Dundee United playing Berwick Rangers in the foreground. United won 1-0 in front of 16,900 to win promotion to the division for the first time since 1931/32.

IMG_1625.jpeg

I looked it up as I was intrigued: Abbots Choice was originally marketed as McEwan's Whisky, the Abbot's Choice.

Spoiler

In this case it wasn't the more famous brewers but John McEwan, a company based in Elgin and Leith.

The Abbot's Choice brand was promoted by ceramic figures of an Abbot. You took the Abbot's head off and poured the whisky