A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Amazing to think that we paid £40,000 for Wallace back in 1972. That’s £675,000 in todays money!

Aye, signed from English First Division Crystal Palace to join us in the Scottish Second Division.  These days I doubt we could even stretch to Harry Maguire on loan.

56 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

55yrs ago Dunfermline thrashed APOEL of Nicosia by 10-1 in CWC R1.

APOEL played a friendly at Highbury the next night... lost 10-0 :lol:!

Pars won return 2-0... are they meeting the infamous Archbishop Makarios :o?

FB70F443-3007-4367-A8B3-129DA2203711._32

Quite surprised to see that , Makarios was walking about with a target on his back for years. BEA (British Airways) Comet 4B was bombed out the sky not long before that photo and Makarios , who was booked on the flight then cancelled  , was the target !

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

55yrs ago Dunfermline thrashed APOEL of Nicosia by 10-1 in CWC R1.

APOEL played a friendly at Highbury the next night... lost 10-0 :lol:!

Pars won return 2-0... are they meeting the infamous Archbishop Makarios :o?

58E24366-E31F-4080-A339-EBAD69E02A8B._92

The journalist = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wardhaugh

On 17/09/2023 at 14:10, Oscar P said:

I think the match was part of the Eddie McCreadie transfer deal.

fa2c660e-f030-4e3d-bcf4-8106fc33696f.jpeg

15f53e70-7b96-4a9c-a144-5528f36defbf.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

That programme would be worth a few bob.

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Used to have it in my collection when it was only worth the cover price or a penny or two more.

13 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

My friend actually still has it, not sure if he’s ever checked it’s value though.

£125.00 apparently

Thanks to arabarchive.co.uk on this day in 1967 Dundee United 2 (Finn Seemann 44, Finn Dossing 54) Hibernian 2 (Joe Davis 31, Colin Stein 33) and I was one of the 7,716 there.

Edited by Eednud

Also on this day in 1893 in their first season Dundee lost 2-4 away to Strathmartine in the Scottish Cup First Round at their future home ground, Carolina Port. A bit further up the road at West Craigie Park they lost 0-3 to St Mirren in the league.

The Courier reports courtesy of deearchive.co.uk

ETA: the archive lists the cup game as First Round but report has it as Second Round although this must have been the First or Second Qualifying Round as the First Round proper wasn’t until November that season. @HibeeJibee do you have  details in your records?

IMG_1750.jpeg

IMG_1749.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

Thanks to arabarchive.co.uk on this day in 1967 Dundee United 2 (Finn Seemann 44, Finn Dossing 54) Hibernian 2 (Joe Davis 31, Colin Stein 33) and I was one of the 7,716 there.

Ridiculous 'goal' missed by the officials at 2-2 by Ian Mitchell. Not quite Paddy Connolly at Firhill standards, but Iain Bain was quite a decent role model for Les Mottram it seems.

On 19/09/2023 at 06:53, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I didn't realise that two of the 'terrible trio' died before they were 50 but nothing mentioned about the cause of death of either Bauld or Wardhaugh...perhaps Wardhaugh was living the well lubricated life of a journalist that was common at the time, but just says he collapsed after a East Fife Vs Hearts match. Nothing mentioned regarding Bauld's demise ten months previously.

15 hours ago, Eednud said:

ETA: the archive lists the cup game as First Round but report has it as Second Round although this must have been the First or Second Qualifying Round as the First Round proper wasn’t until November that season. @HibeeJibee do you have  details in your records?

Scottish Cup was separated into 'First' and 'Second' series from 1891-92 to 1894-95, and 16 clubs progressed to join 16 exempt in 'second' R1. Our Boys Dundee declined exemption in 1891-92... promptly lost 2-0 to Dundee Harp in 'first' R1 replay!

Scottish Qualifying Cup began 1895-96 whose Last 16 joined 16 exempt in Scottish Cup R1.

'Big' but non-exempt clubs sometimes fielded 2 teams to avoid bumping league games midweek which affected gates. They'd also sometimes scratch as soon as Last 16 was reached (i.e. Scottish Cup qualification secured); or if came up short frequently scratched from Scottish Consolation Cup.

EDIT: worth adding that as late as 1919-20 some top division clubs still had to enter the Scottish Qualifying Cup - while Division Three (in 1920s) and C Division (in 1940s & 50s) always had to.

EDIT AGAIN: taking your example of 1893-94 this illustrates how the exemptions were given out; note that just Cowlairs and Port Glasgow actually managed to qualify.

SFL Division One (9)
exempt             Celtic, Dumbarton, Hearts, Leith Athletic, Rangers, Renton, St Bernards, St Mirren, Third Lanark
not exempt     Dundee

SFL Division Two (3)
exempt              Abercorn, Clyde, Thistle
not exempt     Cowlairs, Hibs, Morton, Motherwell, Northern, Partick Thistle, Port Glasgow Athletic

other clubs (4)
exempt     Queen's Park, Broxburn Shamrock, King's Park, Linthouse

Exemptions got awarded by vote at an SFA meeting: they were generally given to clubs who reached R2 (i.e. Last 16) previous season but this was not always the case - it's evident that SFL division, reputation from preceding seasons, and good old fashioned backroom lobbying also played its part. For example Broxburn had reached SFs in 1892-93 as had Queen's Park, and King's Park did reach R2, but Linthouse had lost in R1... Abercorn and Clyde had been demoted from Division One but Clyde had lost in R1, while Thistle was among intake forming new Division Two and had not even qualified in 1892-93... Linthouse and Thistle must have had good lobbyists.

Edited by HibeeJibee