A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

I’d say the benches went in around about 1972. Hibs then charged extra to sit there. Also meant there was no cover on the terracing. And yes it does rain occasionally in Edinburgh.

A few clubs went through the benches phase partially in the years following of the Ibrox disaster. Always struck as cheap and cheerful way to get round elf and safety and charge you an extra 50p for the privilege.

I notice now I'm sober that the cowshed in the photo is behind the goals, I was actually talking about the one opposite the main stand.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic fans en route to Lisbon in 1967, and yes you have seen that flag on the left correctly and no it hasn't been doctored  :lol:

FB_IMG_1539036581767.jpg

I put that picture on Twitter a couple of years ago, my mum found it when they were emptying my grans house after she passed away.

My granddad is standing behind the left shoulder of the woman wearing white.  He was Scots/Italian, so he's the one with the tan!

That flag is 100% genuine, that photo is taken at Prestwick Airport before the headed to Lisbon.  My grandparents stayed about 100 yards from where Bobby Lennox has stayed for years.  My parents stay even closer to him.

Small world!

Celtic's lowest ever crowd was for a Fairs Cup tie v Basel in 1963, just 8000 turned up on a pishing wet night after a 5-1 win in the first leg in Switzerland. 

The very thought of Celtic winning by that scoreline against them now is quite something..

FB_IMG_1539081126391.jpg

On 10/6/2018 at 23:31, Flybhoy said:

The old 'Cowshed' at Easter Road, a bizarre stand comprising of benches, mostly uncovered that was normally sparsely populated in its days in the 80's and 90's, similar to the one at Dens Park from that era. Not a popular concept for a stand, most fans gave it a wide berth and stood or sat elsewhere. 

IMG_20181002_164333.jpg

I remember a game when i was just a pup, we were in the Dunbar End and there was the usual mischievous behavior from the Gorgie Aggro on the terraces during the game, can't remember the details of the match but quite a number of Hearts fans left the ground  then re appeared around 10 minutes later at the top of the Coo Shed scattering all the Hibs fans in their path as they charged down. 

On 10/7/2018 at 00:48, Lurkst said:

Any idea when the benches were put in? I went to a game there in 1989 but I'm sure I was standing.  My memory may not be right though...

Benches were there early 1980's, they were definitely in for the 1983/84 season. Can't remember if they were in for the Tom Hart Memorial in 1982 though.

Celtic's lowest ever crowd was for a Fairs Cup tie v Basel in 1963, just 8000 turned up on a pishing wet night after a 5-1 win in the first leg in Switzerland. 
The very thought of Celtic winning by that scoreline against them now is quite something..
FB_IMG_1539081126391.jpg.d8c51be9a5391198958e353c22d9f609.jpg
Did you mean lowest ever crowd for a European the? There was a league game vs Dundee at Celtic Park at the peak of the biscuit tin era where the crowd was little over 4000.

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:
2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
FB_IMG_1539081126391.jpg.d8c51be9a5391198958e353c22d9f609.jpg

Did you mean lowest ever crowd for a European the? There was a league game vs Dundee at Celtic Park at the peak of the biscuit tin era where the crowd was little over 4000.

Yeah, European tie I meant to type.

My bad. 

1995/96 Stenhousemuir win what was the Scottish Challenge Cp even though it was made of glass held by a duffle coated one time Dundee non-first team player. The goalie on loan from Hearts. the garish shirt probably blinding a DAB in the penalty shoot-out.

1199200839.jpg&key=870719bf9bcb471ee7452e5a47f650c050e99cdd83865a79091a05a01f22181c

The first ever football match I attended, aged 5. I was in the Stenny end.

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1539081126391.jpg

Just out of curiosity is that really a Union flag flying from the stand? I suppose the photo is from 1963 and therefore pre-Troubles but I doubt it was particularly popular with certain sections of the Celtic support! :lol:

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Just out of curiosity is that really a Union flag flying from the stand? I suppose the photo is from 1963 and therefore pre-Troubles but I doubt it was particularly popular with certain sections of the Celtic support! :lol:

There still is one I think? It used to be partly hidden round the side of the main stand.