What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

22 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Indeed. But if anyone else points out this exceptionalism, they're sectarian bigots.

not necessarily for instance

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

The important point that I think we can all agree on is that Celtic fans are a bunch of fuds. 

^^^ Vile Sectarian Bigot

59 minutes ago, MarbellaDEE said:

In the interest of fairness it’s worth mentioning that Rangers fans also fall under this bracket.

^^^ Not a Vile Sectarian Bigot

At least I think that's how it works

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren players were doing a huddle all throughout the 94-95 season, a year before Sellick started doing it.

Of course I'm sure some other side were doing it well before that, just that they weren't on live TV every week to publicise it.

Yeah, Dunfermline definitely did it in the 95-96 season after Norrie McCathie died, as a way of galvanising the players before the first game after his death and it continued for the rest of the season, as did retiring the number 4 for the rest of the season with 12 used instead.

24 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Yeah, Dunfermline definitely did it in the 95-96 season after Norrie McCathie died, as a way of galvanising the players before the first game after his death and it continued for the rest of the season, as did retiring the number 4 for the rest of the season with 12 used instead.

The earliest example I could find was Llanelli RFC against New Zealand in 1972 but it probably goes further back than that

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren players were doing a huddle all throughout the 94-95 season, a year before Sellick started doing it.

Of course I'm sure some other side were doing it well before that, just that they weren't on live TV every week to publicise it.

I started playing basketball in 1981, and a pre-match huddle was an established thing then.

As per below.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

Surely it's just cringey pish imported from American sports?

22 hours ago, velo army said:

Celtic fans calling that "the huddle" and claiming it as their own, when they saw Poznan fans doing it and copied it, will never fail to rip my knitting. 

They copied it from Man City who copied it from poznan. It’s the worst thing ever. “Not just a club” levels of revisionist unimaginative shite that those professional victims lap up

On 08/10/2024 at 08:32, Arch Stanton said:

I started watching football in 1994-95. 

Genuinely thought the huddle was something Celtic have been doing since long before I was born.

Stole the Irishness from Hibs and the huddle from St Mirren. Joke club.

22 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Genuinely thought the huddle was something Celtic have been doing since long before I was born.

......YNWA from Liverpool, 'more than just a club' from Barcelona.....the list goes on. I'm sure there must have be an original thought from Celtic directors, players and supporters since 1888 but, other than fetishising secterian emnity for material gain, I can't think of any.

5 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

. I'm sure there must have be an original thought from Celtic directors, players and supporters since 1888 but, other than fetishising secterian emnity for material gain, I can't think of any.

They stole that from the first iteration of Hibs. 

Of course here in Edinburgh that kind of thing was perfectly acceptable in the '80s 

Spoiler

by which I mean 1880s

15 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's a proper noun! (Said the grammar police.)

Obviously Poznan the place is a proper noun but isn't the dance/ritual/activity/whatever a common noun.

Just as "Derby" is a place but the "Dundee derby" is a football match

Which would mean @Judy Murrayis banged to rights but @Sergeant Wilson might be off the hook

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

50 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Celtic players started doing a huddle on the pitch before kick off at the start of the 1995-96 season, under captain Tony Mowbray who was deputising for an injured Paul McStay. I don't think it was copied from St Mirren, more likely from the USA.

Celtic fans only call their backs-to-the-pitch thing the huddle because they want to pretend it's not a copy of the Poznan, which it obviously is and was recognised as such when they started doing it. If it were genuinely in honour of the players' huddle they would obviously be facing inwards.

Their mythology around all this is just typical attention-seeking twattery.

As for the Poznan, I don't understand the point of going to support your team and then ostentatiously not watching, other than as a protest.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Obviously Poznan the place is a proper noun but isn't the dance/ritual/activity/whatever a common noun.

Just as "Derby" is a place but the "Dundee derby" is a football match

Which would mean @Judy Murrayis banged to rights  that might be off the hook

Being sent to coventry, hitting a panenka, wearing wellington boots, eating a hamburger or a danish pastry or a sandwich...