What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

On 25/07/2024 at 23:08, eez-eh said:

Give him a couple of seasons and he’ll be ready for the Scotland team.

I'm not a fan of the existence of the B-Team. I'd have it in the bin tomorrow.

But this is a deliberately obtuse view of this signing.

Hearts B's keeper from last season, 19-year old Liam McFarlane (34 games) has just gone on loan to East Fife, where he has started all three of their League Cup games and is yet to concede a goal. Hearts will point to that as a successful example of how they see the B-Team operating.

Harry Stone, another young keeper at the club and who was in the B-squad in 22/23, is on loan at your club and has been starting matches in the League Cup. How many young keepers should Hearts have?

With that gap left in the squad, bringing in an experienced keeper to take his place in a squad otherwise full of kids makes economic sense, and probably makes sense from a development point of view as well. His role will be to be the experienced voice in the squad.

Like I said, I'd rather there were no B-Teams, but this is a reasonabl signing in the context.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Hearts B's keeper from last season, 19-year old Liam McFarlane (34 games) has just gone on loan to East Fife, where he has started all three of their League Cup games and is yet to concede a goal. Hearts will point to that as a successful example of how they see the B-Team operating.

Harry Stone, another young keeper at the club and who was in the B-squad in 22/23, is on loan at your club and has been starting matches in the League Cup. How many young keepers should Hearts have?

With that gap left in the squad, bringing in an experienced keeper to take his place in a squad otherwise full of kids makes economic sense, and probably makes sense from a development point of view as well. His role will be to be the experienced voice in the squad.

Like I said, I'd rather there were no B-Teams, but this is a reasonabl signing in the context.

I suppose it’s a question of balancing the benefits. Would Hearts have gained more by promoting a youth team keeper into the B-Team and giving them the experience of playing against senior sides? Or will the inclusion of MacDonald and his experience be more beneficial to the B-Team and provide more benefits?

Personally, I think giving the playing experience to a young keeper would be more beneficial in the long term.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I suppose it’s a question of balancing the benefits. Would Hearts have gained more by promoting a youth team keeper into the B-Team and giving them the experience of playing against senior sides? Or will the inclusion of MacDonald and his experience be more beneficial to the B-Team and provide more benefits?

Personally, I think giving the playing experience to a young keeper would be more beneficial in the long term.

It's impossible to say, since neither you nor I know the stage the next lad in line is at.

Would it be good for the development of the other players in the team to play in front of a keeper who isn't ready?

Anyway, I'm not for B-Teams as a concept. But signing one experienced player to support the kids in the team does not undermine the entire idea.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

If I understand you correctly you are suggesting that B teams are a success if they can produce players that go out to lower league teams on loan.  The same as what happened before B teams?  Not sure that I follow this logic.

9 minutes ago, strichener said:

If I understand you correctly you are suggesting that B teams are a success if they can produce players that go out to lower league teams on loan.  The same as what happened before B teams?  Not sure that I follow this logic.

I'm not a defender of B-teams, so you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for a fight.

But I think if Hearts can give young players a season or two playing against adults, then move them on to successful loans, they'll view that as the system working, yes.

I'm not in favour of the concept, but I don't think the people criticising this move understand what the concept is. It's not solely designed for players to play in the B-Team then just go into the first team. Players develop at a different pace, and the squad will have different needs in different seasons.

We have two first team keepers, a back-up, and two promising young keepers out on loan. There's no real sense in focussing on that as recruitment at the moment, so bringing in a semi-retired lad that the club know well to plug a gap makes reasonable sense.

Edited by VincentGuerin

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm not a defender of B-teams, so you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for a fight.

But I think if Hearts can give young players a season or two playing against adults, then move them on to successful loans, they'll view that as the system working, yes.

I'm not in favour of the concept, but I don't think the people criticising this move understand what the concept is. It's not solely designed for players to play in the B-Team then just go into the first team. Players develop at a different pace, and the squad will have different needs in different seasons.

We have two first team keepers, a back-up, and two promising young keepers out on loan. There's no real sense in focussing on that as recruitment at the moment.

I'm not looking for a fight, I just can't see the logic here.  I don't see how a Hearts B team provides a greater pool of talent to the game than the alternatives.

Just now, strichener said:

I'm not looking for a fight, I just can't see the logic here.  I don't see how a Hearts B team provides a greater pool of talent to the game than the alternatives.

I think we'll just need to see over time.

My objection to B-Teams is that they're demeaning to the leagues they play in and the clubs they play against. I'm against them on principle.

On the issue of how they affect development, I don't really have an opinion. It's not an area I have any expertise in.

But it's possible to both disagree with something and see the rationale for it. I can see why the club would think it's a good thing to give their young players a platform to play competitive football against adults in an environment we control. I don't think that's some kind of mysterious thing that nobody can fathom.

The club get the benefits of a loan (competitive football against adults) in an environment that's not as heated as first-team football and where Hearts have control over how the players play, who with, in what system, how they're treated when they make mistakes, etc etc. What happens when they grow out of B-Team football will be different for different players.

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

My objection to B-Teams is that they're demeaning to the leagues they play in and the clubs they play against. I'm against them on principle.

On the issue of how they affect development, I don't really have an opinion. It's not an area I have any expertise in.

But it's possible to both disagree with something and see the rationale for it. I can see why the club would think it's a good thing to give their young players a platform to play competitive football against adults in an environment we control. I don't think that's some kind of mysterious thing that nobody can fathom.

The club get the benefits of a loan (competitive football against adults) in an environment that's not as heated as first-team football and where Hearts have control over how the players play, who with, in what system, how they're treated when they make mistakes, etc etc. What happens when they grow out of B-Team football will be different for different players.

The B team idea was always a half-arsed compromise between teams who weren’t willing or able to participate in some kind of  development league and teams who wanted to field a reserve team 

It’s not what anyone wanted but it’s what we got 

11 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Hearts B's keeper from last season, 19-year old Liam McFarlane (34 games) has just gone on loan to East Fife, where he has started all three of their League Cup games and is yet to concede a goal.

christian bale smiling GIF

19 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I feel that you're looking too deeply into the original posters looking for a laugh at Hearts signing a 50 year old keeper to play in their B Team.

On 27/07/2024 at 10:19, VincentGuerin said:

Hearts should have enough young keepers to fulfil their commitments. If they want their players to go out on loan then they should do away with their B team. As for "makes economic sense", that reasoning didn't work when the Premiership sides voted against artificial surfaces which "make economic sense" to those that use them

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Hearts should have enough young keepers to fulfil their commitments. If they want their players to go out on loan then they should do away with their B team. As for "makes economic sense", that reasoning didn't work when the Premiership sides voted against artificial surfaces which "make economic sense" to those that use them

Should Livingston’s fortunes improve to the point where you can field a second team or deteriorate to the point where you’re playing in the lowland league (And this being Livi we can’t rule out either) then I will welcome your opinions on how Hearts run their B team 

until that day I would thank you to mind your own business