Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I wouldn't be that opposed to the idea of Walter Smith back if he was doing something for the last seven years. No matter how you look at it, that's a very long time out of the game. He seems to still have his marbles but the game does change a lot so I'm not too sure, I even think Martin O'Neil even now looks quite outdated despite relatively recent success.

As manager before, he seemed to have the man management side of things under good control with himself and McCoist (don't laugh) as quite good motivators and I think he's always demonstrated considerably more tactical nous than any other manager we've had in my lifetime. If he is still sane (or as sane as he ever was), I don't think it'd be the worst appointment in the world.

I would really like Steve Clarke to be properly considered. I think he's got a great mix of experience in the game and general competence to do well.

Tbh, this the game changes lark is utter pish.  Bill shankly could take over Liverpool today he'd do brilliant.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

Tbh, this the game changes lark is utter pish.  Bill shankly could take over Liverpool today he'd do brilliant.

He is dead so I don't think he'd be able to match his previous achievements.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Is everyone forgetting that Walter Smith wasn't actually that good the last time? Yes, he was a massive improvement on Vogts and had some very impressive results - beating France, drawing with Italy, winning away to Norway and Slovenia with the latter a pumping - but he also oversaw a poor defeat in Ukraine and the absolute minter of taking one point from six v Belarus, in a campaign where we missed out on second place by five points.

We've had far worse managers, but he was hardly a miracle worker.

Stuart McCall becomes the new obvious lazy appointment.

I think it was only a couple of points we failed to qualify. I'm sure if we beat Italy in the final game that was us through. 

Wouldn't be the worst appointment, but a fairly grim reality if he is emerging a favourite. 

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

He expressly said he wouldn't turn it down.  So guess what he wouldn't have done?

And followed it up by saying that his first choice would be club management.  Which he did.  Two quite contradicting statements, but only one of them sounds pretty unequivocal.  So guess what he did?

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

And followed it up by saying that his first choice would be club management.  Which he did.  Two quite contradicting statements, but only one of them sounds pretty unequivocal.  So guess what he did?

Took a club job two months later.  If we asked in October or November he'd be Scotland manager now without question.  And the best manager we've had since Ferguson.

21 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I think it was only a couple of points we failed to qualify. I'm sure if we beat Italy in the final game that was us through. 

Wouldn't be the worst appointment, but a fairly grim reality if he is emerging a favourite. 

Aye I've worded that badly - it was the 2006 campaign where we missed out by five points having dropped five points to Belarus. Ukraine away in the 2008 campaign was poor, but considering that we also lost in Georgia under McLeish it would be harsh to pin any blame on Smith.

25 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Sir Walter getting back into the swing of things with the less demanding Scotland job before a taking up the reigns at Ibrox again.  Pleasing.

Gets Scotland performing better then Rangers die again? That's a deal I can sign up to.

Archived