Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dick Campbell or Jim Duffy would actually seem like a relief at the moment. I think I can pretend to have enough emotional distance to find it amusing.

Scotland Gemmill or Gary Caldwell, not so much. Malky McKay, and it's full-on, slurry spreader outside Hampden, head's gone time.

Dick Campbell or Jim Duffy would actually seem like a relief at the moment. I think I can pretend to have enough emotional distance to find it amusing.
Scotland Gemmill or Gary Caldwell, not so much. Malky McKay, and it's full-on, slurry spreader outside Hampden, head's gone time.

That, sir, should be carved on your gravestone.

RIP BigFatTabbyDave, for he lobbied for Dick Campbell for Scotland boss - and there were far worse options.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That, sir, should be carved on your gravestone.

RIP BigFatTabbyDave, for he lobbied for Dick Campbell for Scotland boss - and there were far worse options.

I feel this saga may have pushed me over the edge into madness. Maybe this has been the plan all along - show them our alternatives and Dick Campbell will look like Jesus  :(

17 hours ago, velo army said:

It would honestly be less embarrassing to just go to Gordon Strachan, apologise for sacking him and offer him £150k more a year to take us to the next Euros. It would be embarrassing, sure, but we'd forget about it once we qualified. 

At this stage I'm honestly not even joking. The time to have sacked Strachan was after the Slovakia away game. Don't just wait til he puts together a cracking run of results and has us unbeaten in 2017.  That was bloody stupid. Now they've made such a cock up of it that we're not going to get anyone with prestige, rather we're going to end up with an absolute nobody.

Typical Scotland that we start to get it right on the field, with an injection of quality from the likes of Robertson and Tierney (with Armstrong and Griffiths honourable mentions), and we completely mess it up off the park.

Livid.

Strachan did a shit job and absolutely deserved not to have his contract renewed.  Giving him yet another campaign would have been preposterous.

The mess that has since unfolded changes none of that.

Strachan did a shit job and absolutely deserved not to have his contract renewed.  Giving him yet another campaign would have been preposterous.
The mess that has since unfolded changes none of that.

I think to call it a shit job is a bit too far, he did ok but didn’t meet his targets (so I suppose he did less than ok) but it wasn’t Burley levels of dreadful.

I’m not sure if he has been seriously touted but, if I remove myself from thinking with a Killie hat on, I’m not sure Steve Clarke would be the best appointment either. Although if he keeps up his current performance right up to the summer that could change.

39 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I think to call it a shit job is a bit too far, he did ok but didn’t meet his targets (so I suppose he did less than ok) but it wasn’t Burley levels of dreadful.

A pretty good argument could be put together that suggests he did little better than Burley.

Burley was allowed to fail in just one campaign, one that didn't offer nearly as favourable qualification terms as the first one Strachan ballsed up.

The decision to remove Burley was wise, although it should have happened at the end of that campaign, rather than after a couple of alarming subsequent friendlies.

Strachan was very fortunate to get another go and once more, despite a stronger second half of the campaign, he failed.  

The only real difference is that Strachan was afforded the opportunity to fail for longer, and he seized it.

A pretty good argument could be put together that suggests he did little better than Burley.
Burley was allowed to fail in just one campaign, one that didn't offer nearly as favourable qualification terms as the first one Strachan ballsed up.
The decision to remove Burley was wise, although it should have happened at the end of that campaign, rather than after a couple of alarming subsequent friendlies.
Strachan was very fortunate to get another go and once more, despite a stronger second half of the campaign, he failed.  
The only real difference is that Strachan was afforded the opportunity to fail for longer, and he seized it.

Do you attend the games or watch the highlights / listen to radio?

Watching Scotland under burley and Levein was awful. Without number churning the level of performance increased significantly under strachan.

Numbers wise Strachan also has a win percentage of 47.5% played 40 won 19 drew 9 lost 12. ( 2nd highest win % of any Scotland manager since 1971) Burley had a win percentage of 21.4% won 3 drew 3 lost 8.

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

Do you attend the games or watch the highlights / listen to radio?

Watching Scotland under burley and Levein was awful. Without number churning the level of performance increased significantly under strachan.

Numbers wise Strachan also has a win percentage of 47.5% played 40 won 19 drew 9 lost 12. ( 2nd highest win % of any Scotland manager since 1971) Burley had a win percentage of 21.4% won 3 drew 3 lost 8.

Of course I watch the games.  I've not attended regularly for a long time, but was at the home England game last time out.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm defending Burley - I'm not.

He was hopeless, but he only failed to get us to one tournament, one where third place would have been of no use.

Strachan failed twice, once when virtually everyone was invited.  A better win rate served no discernible purpose.

To suggest that not renewing his contract was a mistake is mind numbingly deranged.

Strachan also took charge midway through a campaign where we could have still qualified (close to slim but still).  Blew that at home to Wales then away to Serbia in his first two competitive games.

Wouldn't go as far as to say Strachan did a shit job.  He did okay at best.  The team performances were far more enjoyable to watch than under the previous 2 managers but the expectations still weren't met.  Saying he did a good job because he did better than Levein is like saying tasting piss is great because it's better than tasting shite. 

But you don't sack the manager when the team have a bit of positivity surrounding them. I know Monkey Tennis' opinions on Strachan and we can obviously both agree to disagree on whether Strachan made a decent fist of managing Scotland. What does also seem to be agreed is that Strachan was fired (contract not renewed, whatever, I've had both happen to me and they are essentially the same) without any kind of plan in place and we're now left with absolutely nobody. 

Getting Strachan back would be my preferred option, mainly because I have no faith in the SFA to go and find a foreign manager who would be anything other than a disaster. I know that sounds utterly loopy, but the Scottish options have apparently been exhausted.

As I said, I'm aware of how nuts that sounds, but I see no decent alternatives.

36 minutes ago, velo army said:

But you don't sack the manager when the team have a bit of positivity surrounding them. I know Monkey Tennis' opinions on Strachan and we can obviously both agree to disagree on whether Strachan made a decent fist of managing Scotland. What does also seem to be agreed is that Strachan was fired (contract not renewed, whatever, I've had both happen to me and they are essentially the same) without any kind of plan in place and we're now left with absolutely nobody. 

Getting Strachan back would be my preferred option, mainly because I have no faith in the SFA to go and find a foreign manager who would be anything other than a disaster. I know that sounds utterly loopy, but the Scottish options have apparently been exhausted.

As I said, I'm aware of how nuts that sounds, but I see no decent alternatives.

Any alternative would beat someone who we know to be a serial failure in that very role.

Even a joke appointment like Jim Duffy would at least have the virtue of not yet having proven himself to be poor at that level.

By all means lament the current mess, but that does not logically lead to calls to reinstate the latest proven flop.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Any alternative would beat someone who we know to be a serial failure in that very role.

Even a joke appointment like Jim Duffy would at least have the virtue of not yet having proven himself to be poor at that level.

By all means lament the current mess, but that does not logically lead to calls to reinstate the latest proven flop.

You're an idiot.  

Archived