Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Regan was dead-set against Walter Smith coming back for some reason, and was daft enough to let his feelings be known when they were after O'Neill. Not that there aren't plenty of reasons to think it's a bad idea.

So, who's the favourite to take over when Smith is offered the Rangers job during the summer? Not sure if anyone's mentioned plucky outsider Malky Mackay.

Situation’s clearly getting desperate in the sense no manager worth his salt wants the job and the SFA obviously want the new guy in place for these daft friendlies coming up.

Looks like old Walter it is then. As for him going to manage the new club in govan should things go well, I can’t see that. He could have went there at any time during any one of their many managerial merry go rounds they’ve had in their short history but chose to stay retired.

It’s the old safe pair of hands cliché I guess. He was a good Scotland manager before, so why can’t he be again? I’m pretty sure he won’t be worse than Strachan anyway.

I'm optimistic that Watty would he nothing more than a placeholder.
He's free, the SFA are in a shambolically spot with Reagan gone, good old Watty dusting off the old tracky top for another spell could buy the organisation time to make longer term appointments.
Of course, I'm kidding myself on and Smith will be on a 10-year contract

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

Hasn’t Hughes utterly failed in every single job since he left Falkirk?

European qualification with Hibs

Scottish Cup win, third place finish, and European football with Inverness

Pro-rated, his Hartlepool points per game would've kept them up over a full season

He had a cup of coffee at Livingston and did a neutral job

Laid an egg at Raith

The job at he did at Falkirk was absolutely astonishing

The guy has had a great career but seemed to become a dinosaur overnight at Raith.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

It’s the old safe pair of hands cliché I guess. He was a good Scotland manager before, so why can’t he be again? I’m pretty sure he won’t be worse than Strachan anyway.

Taking these three points in reverse order: Strachan has a better statistical international record than Smith: I can recall some dreadful results during Smith's two year tenure, including home defeats to Belarus at home in a WC qualifier, and his final match away to Ukraine in the Euros; as for 'old safe', Smith has health issues.

The only way I could see Smith working is if he's brought in alongside someone else who is a more long-term option but maybe not quite ready.  Like Lagerback did with that dentist (?) guy.  I don't doubt he has some of those woolly, shite qualities that mouth-breathers demand (he's goat passion, he'll pit a roacket up thum).  But in sole charge?  He better have an impeccable coaching and scouting team behind him.

Would be interesting to see how many good, honest Rangers men he calls up though.

European qualification with Hibs
Scottish Cup win, third place finish, and European football with Inverness
Pro-rated, his Hartlepool points per game would've kept them up over a full season
He had a cup of coffee at Livingston and did a neutral job
Laid an egg at Raith
The job at he did at Falkirk was absolutely astonishing

The guy has had a great career but seemed to become a dinosaur overnight at Raith.

Hughes was a shambles at Inverness. His success came with Butchers team. He then recruited some of the worst players to have worn an Inverness shirt before taking the huff with the board.

Did he not lead Falkirk into administration?

Just now, Worktheshaft said:

Hughes was a shambles at Inverness. His success came with Butchers team. He then recruited some of the worst players to have worn an Inverness shirt before taking the huff with the board.

Did he not lead Falkirk into administration?

Falkirk were in administration in the late 90s, well before Hughes became manager.

Inverness finishing third in the top flight and winning the Scottish Cup is a "shambles". Aye sound.

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looks like old Walter it is then. As for him going to manage the new club in govan should things go well, I can’t see that. He could have went there at any time during any one of their many managerial merry go rounds they’ve had in their short history but chose to stay retired.

That does make you wonder why he'd bother coming out of retirement for Scotland.

Unless he still hasn't swallowed the Kool-Aid, regarding the whole "it's the same club" nonsense.

Will we ever learn.We have not qualified for a major tournament for years yet when the job comes up its the same old names we look at.The international managers job is to get his squad of the best available players playing with confidence and belief.I,m tired of us being so negative,not good enough,not big enough,no world class players while Wales and Northern Ireland do well with less resources than we have.Give it to Jack Ross and change the way we think or just keep failing.

All the momentum we have built up brining in an attacking style of play younger hungry players,  we can forget all of that under Smith.  It will be back to seeing 2 shots on goal a game hoping to nick a 1 nil. Sorry but our team is on the up and there's plenty young talent ready to step up. Now is not the time to bring in this dinosaur.  

6 minutes ago, Kobe2010 said:

Will we ever learn.We have not qualified for a major tournament for years yet when the job comes up its the same old names we look at.The international managers job is to get his squad of the best available players playing with confidence and belief.I,m tired of us being so negative,not good enough,not big enough,no world class players while Wales and Northern Ireland do well with less resources than we have.Give it to Jack Ross and change the way we think or just keep failing.

The press became keen on Steve Clarke based entirely on a good run of eight results at a middling Premiership side, so it's a bit early for Jack Ross. If St Mirren are in the top six at the end of September, they'll be all over him.

Archived