Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lennon would get my vote. As would Stevie Clarke but he seems committed to Killie for the time being.

If the SFA appoint a chief executive first, which they should but when have the SFA ever done the right thing, then it’ll probably be Dempster which makes Lennon even more likely to be Scotland manager.

Although I’ve also heard they’ve approached Walter for the job so we’re pretty much fucked.

7 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

If the SFA appoint a chief executive first, which they should but when have the SFA ever done the right thing, then it’ll probably be Dempster which makes Lennon even more likely to be Scotland manager.

Sorry, disagree - taking Dempster from Hibs would (in my humble opinion) make it less likely that they would go back to the same club for the Manager, irrespective of his abilities. Remember that Rod Petrie has a vested interest in this, and if Hibs lost both Dempsey and Lennon it would set the club back years.

Sorry, disagree - taking Dempster from Hibs would (in my humble opinion) make it less likely that they would go back to the same club for the Manager, irrespective of his abilities. Remember that Rod Petrie has a vested interest in this, and if Hibs lost both Dempsey and Lennon it would set the club back years.

They would lose Dempster full time but The surely Lennon would be able to do both the Hibs job and Scotland job at the same time?

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

A greater reflection on his ability to manage overall? His 150 games at Twente (which was the total for both spells, not the first alone) and the other 400+ with clubs.

A greater reflection on his ability to manage another international team? The 18 games in charge of England where he only won 9 and failed to qualify ahead of Croatia &  Russia while only finishing in third place ahead of Israel on goal difference, obviously.

It's fairly obvious that, with the exception of his first spell at Twente, his team's start well before shiting it at the thought of promotion/qualification/success.

Ideal candidate for us tbh.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

They would lose Dempster full time but The surely Lennon would be able to do both the Hibs job and Scotland job at the same time?

It would be pretty much impossible to be a club and national manager at the same time over anything other than the short-term. It might be a part-time job but it's not purely based around the international breaks. Being a club manager is a full-time job - and one which would restrict watching national team players in club matches, working with the youth coaching staff, preparing for international matches, and so on. The national team manager needs to be focused on that role - and all it encompasses. 

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why are people genuinely discussing John Hughes as if he's a serious candidate?

Have you seen the other names being put forward?  :lol:

If Hughes isn't taken seriously, it'll only be because he isn't liked by the board. His record's better than some of the supposed favourites. No wonder he's decided to chance his arm.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Oaft, Pep having an absolute nightmare here. Honestly failing to qualify for a major finals with England should not only be an instantly sackable offence (which it was) but should prevent him getting other international jobs.

Especially since it was Bilic that took a nation of 3 million to the 2008 finals, 2010 World Cup finals and the 2012 Euro finals. 

Appoint Slaven now Leeann!

Why are people genuinely discussing John Hughes as if he's a serious candidate?

I assumed the Hughes for manager was a wind up.

That being said, maybe we're in such a shite state that we may as well go down the comedy route and appoint him. It could be laugh....

On the nightshift and just catching up on podcasts and the Scotland Manager news. Walter Smith?? FFS.

1. Failed to take Scotland to a championships.

2. 70 years old.

3. Not managed in 7 years

4. Without a chequebook, hes been a loser

5. Walked out on Scotland

6. Staunch

7. Plays crap football

Apart from that Im quite excited about his imminent appointment as at least hes not McLeish.

Walter Smith with Scotland Gemmil as his assistant/long term successor seems to be the talk of the town.  

Can't see that being popular.  And quite rightly not.  Not only is the new manager going to be more of the same, but so is the next one.

Good to see that our wonderful press have managed to get exclusive information from their anonymous sources, and that the consistency of their stories reveals the true picture:

• Walter Smith is interested in a return to management and could take the Scotland job together with a mentoring role, with present performance director Malky Mackay as his potential understudy, but the former national boss is concerned that the Scottish FA has yet to arrange talks. (Scottish Sun, print edition)
  • Scotland Under-21 coach Scot Gemmill is being considered as a candidate to work alongside Walter Smith in a senior management team as the Scottish FA's three-man committee prepares to report to the governing body's board next week. (The Scotsman)
  • Walter Smith would reject any Scottish FA move to install a long-term successor in his backroom team if he became Scotland manager again. (Daily Mail)

That would be a firm no, no and no from me!

I don't want Smith, but if it is to be him in a mentoring role, then the prospect of either Mackay or Gemmill to follow is scary, and brings me back full circle as to why we shouldn't be appointing Smith, as right now I can't think of anyone who would be prepared to be his no. 2 who would be capable of becoming numero uno within the next couple of years.

The more I think about it, this is why Ragan walked.

MON is our favoured option, we talk to him, he says 'no'.

The blazers then decide that Wally is the man.

Ragan goes 'F**k this, this is a backward step. I'm off, no long term future here'.

The blazers then talk to Wally!

It's quite amusing reading all the posts slagging off Largs and Inverclyde, however the facts are that some of the best coaches around have come through that system and ironically it's held in extremely high regard just about everywhere oustide of Scotland. We then have posts from people wanting unkown Welsh coaches or Foreigners who've failed time and time again at a variety of clubs but I suppose the modern game cries out for success, success, success.

I should point out that I'm not overly enamoured with any of the names linked to the job, however before we have a go at someone like Davie Moyes or Stevie Clarke, it should be remembered that one was deemed good enough to Manage the Worlds biggest club and despite relative failure was then snapped up by the established La Liga club Real Sociedad, we then have the other who was first team coach at Chelsea and Liverpool but of course they would be poor appointments for our National team as they don't meet our standards.

As for Smith, I'm not a great lover of Rangers or the fact he walked out on us previously, however despite his age and time out the game, his experience and knowledge of managing at the top level is miles ahead of anyone we've been quoting and given the choice of Gary Caldwell or Yogi Hughes, then Smith would win hands down as far as I'm concerned...................

The more I think about it, this is why Ragan walked.
MON is our favoured option, we talk to him, he says 'no'.
The blazers then decide that Wally is the man.
Ragan goes 'F**k this, this is a backward step. I'm off, no long term future here'.
The blazers then talk to Wally!

I think Regan actually wanted to take Scotland forward, but the blazers stabbed him in the back and made him a scapegoat.

Archived