Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're mixing up campaigns.

The home Belarus game came after our second meeting with Italy and it eliminated us.  This was before the end of the qualifiers.

Image result for stop getting bond wrong

10 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Image result for make it stop gif

19 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

All the momentum we have built up brining in an attacking style of play younger hungry players,  we can forget all of that under Smith.  It will be back to seeing 2 shots on goal a game hoping to nick a 1 nil. Sorry but our team is on the up and there's plenty young talent ready to step up. Now is not the time to bring in this dinosaur.  

Good point, Kenny. We do seem to be in a phase of having a lot of attack-minded players in midfield and speedy wingers. It'd be a real shame to revert to some antiquated, narrow formation or to play 'reliable' (i.e. slow and shit) cloggers out wide.

58 minutes ago, Lex said:

It’s the old safe pair of hands cliché I guess. He was a good Scotland manager before, so why can’t he be again? I’m pretty sure he won’t be worse than Strachan anyway.

Why are we settling for "won't be worse than Strachan"?  The SFA are saying they have an excellent remuneration package yet their imagination for the managers post has so far consisted of "that guy who done good for NI" and "Watty was good before so lets ask him again". Appointing Smith is the easy way out, rather than looking for someone relatively young, involved in the game and progressive we're going for the shitfest option.  We're a fucking lol.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

European qualification with Hibs

Scottish Cup win, third place finish, and European football with Inverness

Pro-rated, his Hartlepool points per game would've kept them up over a full season

He had a cup of coffee at Livingston and did a neutral job

Laid an egg at Raith

The job at he did at Falkirk was absolutely astonishing

The guy has had a great career but seemed to become a dinosaur overnight at Raith.

What Hughes did with us is enough to wipe all that good stuff out. He's absolutely fucking insane.

Personal highlights include making 3 substitutions at once as soon as we took the lead against Hibs, and giving it the whole "I'm John Hughes don't you know" speech after every defeat. Plus everyone at the club at all levels hated him. 

1 hour ago, Kobe2010 said:

Will we ever learn.We have not qualified for a major tournament for years yet when the job comes up its the same old names we look at.The international managers job is to get his squad of the best available players playing with confidence and belief.I,m tired of us being so negative,not good enough,not big enough,no world class players while Wales and Northern Ireland do well with less resources than we have.Give it to Jack Ross and change the way we think or just keep failing.

Can't say I go along with that.  There is, I agree, far too much resignation to mediocrity.  You hear it all the time: there are no easy games at international level, we have no right to expect to beat Lithuania, etc, etc.  It's apologising for incompetence.  Totally agree there.

But Jack Ross is hardly an idiosyncratic prototype of a new and radical kind of football.  He wouldn't at all represent a change of thinking, other than perhaps in being slightly more willing to take risks.  A real willingness to change would be to bring in somebody from outside the system completely.  Hand over the reigns to a new organisation - get rid of the big racist, get rid of the entire coaching staff, stick a nuclear bomb on Largs.  

The last genuinely inventive manager Scotland appointed, I'd suggest,  was George Burley, and look how that worked out.  

I'd be inclined to take someone from the Welsh system - which is about to lurch backwards, incidentally.  But to suggest they've got fewer resources than Scotland has surely isn't at all the case.

Walter Smith would make Scotland harder to beat.  If that's the best we can hope for, then he's about the best possible appointment.  If Stewart Regan's departure is to mean anything other than reorganising the deck chairs on the Titanic, then Jack Joss or Walter Smith - or indeed anyone on that list - is not going to be the answer.

When you look at some of the propsed names (Caldwell, McCall, Hughes) whom I wouldn't even want managing my own club, then Smith isn't by any means the worst name on the list. However it's a backwards step, and of even greater concern to me is the suggestion that it might be a stop-gap measure.

I can see it now. Scotland win every game this year, and then Smith hands over the reigns to his protégé assistant manager, Ally McCoist. Someone please stop this nonsense now before this nightmare turns into a reality!

I wanted Strachan out, but we’d have been as well keeping him when you look at the list. O’Neill was an outside the box move, which I liked. I had hoped we might have a similar strategy for plan B. Instead, we’ve found a simcard for an old SFA Nokia 3310 and are making our way through the contacts. So depressing.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Can't say I go along with that.  There is, I agree, far too much resignation to mediocrity.  You hear it all the time: there are no easy games at international level, we have no right to expect to beat Lithuania, etc, etc.  It's apologising for incompetence.  Totally agree there.

But Jack Ross is hardly an idiosyncratic prototype of a new and radical kind of football.  He wouldn't at all represent a change of thinking, other than perhaps in being slightly more willing to take risks.  A real willingness to change would be to bring in somebody from outside the system completely.  Hand over the reigns to a new organisation - get rid of the big racist, get rid of the entire coaching staff, stick a nuclear bomb on Largs.  

The last genuinely inventive manager Scotland appointed, I'd suggest,  was George Burley, and look how that worked out.  

I'd be inclined to take someone from the Welsh system - which is about to lurch backwards, incidentally.  But to suggest they've got fewer resources than Scotland has surely isn't at all the case.

Walter Smith would make Scotland harder to beat.  If that's the best we can hope for, then he's about the best possible appointment.  If Stewart Regan's departure is to mean anything other than reorganising the deck chairs on the Titanic, then Jack Joss or Walter Smith - or indeed anyone on that list - is not going to be the answer.

From you,re first paragraph we are on the same page as to a big part of our problem,sheer negativity.Our media,pundits and many fans are ear bleeding to listen to.Jack Ross doesn,t play a unique brand of football,well who in the long list of candidates does.He is widely credited with Dumbartons recovery alongside Murray,led Alloa to their best ever unbeaten run at the start of the season and his transformation of St Mirren is remarkable.Young hungry players with pace and ability given their head to just go and play,what could be more radical than that.

10 minutes ago, Kobe2010 said:

.He is widely credited with Dumbartons recovery alongside Murray

I see him widely credited with this all the time, it's funny how history ends up twisted.  Jack Ross was at Dumbarton as assistant to Alan Adamson for about a year by the time Adamson was sacked due to us having 3 points and being rock bottom of the division.  Ian Murray came in and we finished the season in 7th with 43 points.  If Jack Ross is being credited with that turnaround then I'm afraid he needs to take the criticism for getting us in that position in the first place.

The reality? Murray and Ross were a good team and neither of them are solely responsible for our turnaround.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I wanted Strachan out, but we’d have been as well keeping him when you look at the list. O’Neill was an outside the box move, which I liked. I had hoped we might have a similar strategy for plan B. Instead, we’ve found a simcard for an old SFA Nokia 3310 and are making our way through the contacts. So depressing.

If ever a post summed up the morons at blazer tower it's this love it lol.

The fact Walter is being offered it shows the nick we're in. Why on earth we're appointing a manager before a new chief executive I have absolutely no idea. Normally I'd slate the SFA endlessly for this, but in all seriousness there's no outstanding candidate for this job. Even the idea above of Walter being there with someone else under his wing so to speak, who? Who's going to be under his wing? I can't imagine Steve Clarke would be keen for that, and people seem convinced he's the new outstanding candidate based on half a season with Killie, no way would they have been calling for him 6 months ago. As for McLeish, Hughes, Gemmill, Caldwell etc, christ on a bike, it's horrific reading.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'd like Yogi Hughes in the job. Always liked him as a manager. Sure, his ego is a bit inflated and he shouldn't be allowed to speak in public, but I liked the job he did with us. 

The men are on their way, please put on your white coat for them arriving or they will use force.

Archived