Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

4 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Very negative slant to put on an excellent career that compares favourably with every candidate mentioned here.  And his derby team were fkn excellent.

Btw it's not a manager's decision who to sell or for how much in almost all cases.  And 4 months in Tel Aviv is probably lifestyle not performance related.  This is why I day you should learn about professional football if you want to discuss it.

I'm stating the facts there, if you dispute any of those "negative" facts then feel free to point them out the positive ones and save me your "learn about the game wee man" patronising pish. If you don't want to converse with peasant fans like me I suggest you get off a fans football forum (who did you play for btw?)

Fair points on the Twente player and the Maccabi move. Still he's been shite almost everywhere for the last 10 years and hasn't been able to hold down a job, regardless if his Derby team played good football they were unable to win a fucking thing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler giphy.gif

An ex International Manager with a Top 10 side
Assistant Manager with one of the Worlds top clubs
Took an unfancied mediocre team to a UEFA cup final
Won a league in Europe
Managed in the Bundesliga

Yes. Just to hear his Scottish accent.

23 minutes ago, calum_gers said:

Hello DA, I know you like everything to be hyper-correct, so I'd like to assist you in this quest by pointing out that Walter Smith last managed in May 2011 and that isn't more than seven years ago.

I thank you for your correction. I am indeed a pedant, so you were right to point my faux pas out to me.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm stating the facts there, if you dispute any of those "negative" facts then feel free to point them out the positive ones and save me your "learn about the game wee man" patronising pish. If you don't want to converse with peasant fans like me I suggest you get off a fans football forum (who did you play for btw?)

Fair points on the Twente player and the Maccabi move. Still he's been shite almost everywhere for the last 10 years and hasn't been able to hold down a job, regardless if his Derby team played good football they were unable to win a fucking thing.

No you're not.  He did very well at derby and nearly got them promoted.  Anyone watching them could see the huge impact he made there straight away.  Yet you represent it as shite.  

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

No you're not.  He did very well at derby and nearly got them promoted.  Anyone watching them could see the huge impact he made there straight away.  Yet you represent it as shite.  

I'd say McLaren did at Derby what Strachan did at Scotland: reinvented them, got them playing impressive football and had them on an upwards trajectory, before it all caved in on itself when he started getting linked to the Newcastle job. And, in the end, he failed to get Derby promoted, just as Strachan failed to get us to a tourney.

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

His first season at Derby he got them where they should be - in the play-offs (and failed to win them). Sacked before the mid-way point the following season. Derby are always challenging for them, more or less. The facts show he's been a serial failure for the best part of a decade.

"Nearly got Derby promoted". It's like Gary Locke trying to pass off "nearly saving Hearts from relegation" on his CV as an achievement.

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd say McLaren did at Derby what Strachan did at Scotland: reinvented them, got them playing impressive football and had them on an upwards trajectory, before it all caved in on itself when he started getting linked to the Newcastle job. And, in the end, he failed to get Derby promoted, just as Strachan failed to get us to a tourney.

Which is completely irrelevant pish people with no clue come out with.  He lost a playoff, winning or losing that is irrelevant it's like losing a cup final, the achievement is getting there.

I’d be perfectly okay with Steve McLaren. I’d like to think that Scotland’s next manager hasn’t been mentioned in this thread so far. (Floella Benjamin hasn’t been mentioned yet, but you get my point).

What about Sven Goran Eriksson? He was widely mocked during his time as England manager, but looking back at it now, three straight major QFs isn't to be snuffed at. He's also out of work after being sacked by his Chinese club last year.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

His first season at Derby he got them where they should be - in the play-offs (and failed to win them). Sacked before the mid-way point the following season. Derby are always challenging for them, more or less. The facts show he's been a serial failure for the best part of a decade.

"Nearly got Derby promoted". It's like Gary Locke trying to pass off "nearly saving Hearts from relegation" on his CV as an achievement.

That's pish though, your arbitrary definition of what you think they should do is meaningless. It's a 24 team league where about fifteen of them & should be' in the playoffs but only top 6 can be.  Derby almost always aren't.  He over achieved.

I'm also starting to think that if the SFA are seriously going down the Walter Smith route then they should have just kept Strachan the whole time. Smith/McLeish, Strachan and ironically Vogts led campaigns are probably the closest we've come to qualifying since the turn of the millenium, so if it's a case of returning to the last thing that nearly worked, they'd be better off sticking with Strachan who knows the players and at least plays a brand of football that suits our strengths. Quite depressing that the SFA are reverting back to type after failing to land O'Neill, though.

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Peppino's ongoing refusal to accept the fact that a manager's prior international record is entirely relevant to their suitability for another international job is extremely entertaining.

He was in charge for 16 games, won 8 and was sacked after a 5 game winless streak cost qualification.  Five games.  You don't have a clue what you're talking about.  He was in charge at twente in his first spell alone for 150 games.  Which do you think is a greater reflection on his abilities hmmmmmm tough one.

32 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Which is completely irrelevant pish people with no clue come out with.  He lost a playoff, winning or losing that is irrelevant it's like losing a cup final, the achievement is getting there.

That would be the peak of the 'upwards trajectory'. The following season, this happened:

"Derby enjoyed a strong opening two-thirds of the 2014–15 season, topping the table on three separate occasions and reaching the League Cup quarter-finals. However, after a 2–0 victory over Charlton Athletic on 24 February took Derby to the top of the division, their form nose-dived and they managed just two wins, against eventually relegated Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, in their remaining 13 fixtures. They missed out on the play-offs altogether after a 3–0 defeat at home to Reading on the last day of the season, when a point would have sufficed. The drastic loss in form was attributed by McClaren to injuries to key players, especially striker Chris Martin, although local press and supporters also believed that constant speculation linking McClaren to the Newcastle United job had been a contributing factor. On 25 May 2015, McClaren was sacked by Derby.[107]"

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

That would be the peak of the 'upwards trajectory'. The following season, this happened:

"Derby enjoyed a strong opening two-thirds of the 2014–15 season, topping the table on three separate occasions and reaching the League Cup quarter-finals. However, after a 2–0 victory over Charlton Athletic on 24 February took Derby to the top of the division, their form nose-dived and they managed just two wins, against eventually relegated Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, in their remaining 13 fixtures. They missed out on the play-offs altogether after a 3–0 defeat at home to Reading on the last day of the season, when a point would have sufficed. The drastic loss in form was attributed by McClaren to injuries to key players, especially striker Chris Martin, although local press and supporters also believed that constant speculation linking McClaren to the Newcastle United job had been a contributing factor. On 25 May 2015, McClaren was sacked by Derby.[107]"

yeah I read his CV.  You just don't understand what you're reading.  You just discounted about 80 games of excellent work for a 13 game bad streak to represent his derby tenure as failure.  You really don't have a clue.

Anyway have fun children I'm done trying to enlighten you on this one.

4 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

He was in charge for 16 games, won 8 and was sacked after a 5 game winless streak cost qualification.  Five games.  You don't have a clue what you're talking about.  He was in charge at twente in his first spell alone for 150 games.  Which do you think is a greater reflection on his abilities hmmmmmm tough one.

A greater reflection on his ability to manage overall? His 150 games at Twente (which was the total for both spells, not the first alone) and the other 400+ with clubs.

A greater reflection on his ability to manage another international team? The 18 games in charge of England where he only won 9 and failed to qualify ahead of Croatia &  Russia while only finishing in third place ahead of Israel on goal difference, obviously.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

A greater reflection on his ability to manage overall? His 150 games at Twente (which was the total for both spells, not the first alone) and the other 400+ with clubs.

A greater reflection on his ability to manage another international team? The 18 games in charge of England where he only won 9 and failed to qualify ahead of Croatia &  Russia while only finishing in third place ahead of Israel on goal difference, obviously.

That's what I mean you're clueless.  There's nothing magical about international football, his career of hundreds of games takes precedence over 16, most of which he won.  There's no point debating with people with no basic knowledge of the game, on ignore.

Archived