The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is exactly what I was attempting to get over.

"More or less", so don't actually need the current full capacity even for the European ties then.

Ok then, to be exact, this season our two home attendances were 17,067 and 20,085.

Ok then, to be exact, this season our two home attendances were 17,067 and 20,085.

So a 20k Kingsford would have given you a rare sell out at the expense of 85 people and a better atmosphere in the first.... which I'm pretty sure I went to midweek as there was still availability the day before.

Eta: I went to both actually, on a half arsed basis.

10 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Fuuuhhh kinnnnn ellllllll

She really hasn't come to terms with the fact that we're all Kingsfordeers now and we should all be working together to deliver on the vote and a Kingsford that works for everyone.

It's all about her. And to be fair, questions need to be asked about how head of the planning committee (I believe that is she) had to ask so many questions yesterday and didn't notify anyone (until she lost) about not having seen all the reports. Questions on her competency loom large.

It's all about her. And to be fair, questions need to be asked about how head of the planning committee (I believe that is she) had to ask so many questions yesterday and didn't notify anyone (until she lost) about not having seen all the reports. Questions on her competency loom large.
She needs to stop talking our club down.

Kingsford means Kingsford.

For better or worse, this is going to be my new stadium patter throughout this process.

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

So a 20k Kingsford would have given you a rare sell out at the expense of 85 people and a better atmosphere in the first.... which I'm pretty sure I went to midweek as there was still availability the day before.

The attendances at Pittodrie are a frustration to me as well, but we definitely need to have a 20,000 capacity stadium, and I agree that anything bigger would be unnecessary. Does that mean we agree? I went to see Brechin play Livi a couple of weeks ago and really do admire your dedication if you are a regular at the Glebe. Next season will be better with all four Angus clubs in the same division for the first time in a fair while, and the excitement level will be huge! Well, huge for Angus anyway.

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Back on topic, it will be interesting to see what they do for fans in the Dyce / Bucksburn area as at the moment getting to Westhill / Kingswells by public transport is a pain in the arse despite being just over the hill. By the time you get the get the bus into town and then get another one via Lang Stracht, you may as well have walked over the hill for over an hour.

From Dyce and Bucksburn there will be buses that will run from the pubs - spiders web already run buses at a loss because a lot of them go by train at the moment.

Who would take the bus into town from Dyce or Bucksburn (new station for AECC in 2019) when they can catch the train it takes 7 minutes - that would be quicker than those that take the bus into town from Cove or even the likes of Northfield.  Then get a bus from town - many will use this option and meet up with their mates in town. 

The attendances at Pittodrie are a frustration to me as well, but we definitely need to have a 20,000 capacity stadium, and I agree that anything bigger would be unnecessary. Does that mean we agree?

Yes indeed.

I went to see Brechin play Livi a couple of weeks ago and really do admire your dedication if you are a regular at the Glebe. Next season will be better with all four Angus clubs in the same division for the first time in a fair while, and the excitement level will be huge! Well, huge for Angus anyway.

Cheers. It was a pain in the hoop at the best of times, but Scotrail's decision to stop some trains stopping at Montrose has just made it worse. Got a season ticket for my sins.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread and is of course complete and utter fantasy but what would be really useful would be some kind of spur off the railway line between Dyce and Bucksburn that links to Kingswells and Westhill with a halt by the new ground. Costs would astronomical obviously.

Going uphill and cutting through a granite pluton is possibly a factor that has hindered any masterplan to date. In fact, much of the existing rail line is exactly where it is because it follows sandstone around the edge of the granite. Not a lot of people know that.

From Dyce and Bucksburn there will be buses that will run from the pubs - spiders web already run buses at a loss because a lot of them go by train at the moment.
Who would take the bus into town from Dyce or Bucksburn (new station for AECC in 2019) when they can catch the train it takes 7 minutes - that would be quicker than those that take the bus into town from Cove or even the likes of Northfield.  Then get a bus from town - many will use this option and meet up with their mates in town. 

Fair enough with the pub buses. Trains on the Dyce line are rather irregular though of course, plus walking to the AECC site from the middle of Bucksburn is a 20 min walk alone. Bus to Craibstone shuttle still easier of all the options imo, but we're niggling here I suppose.

If it was on a half arsed basis you’d probably have been one of the 85 that left it too late

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Going uphill and cutting through a granite pluton is possibly a factor that has hindered any masterplan to date. In fact, much of the existing rail line is exactly where it is because it follows sandstone around the edge of the granite. Not a lot of people know that.

Fair enough with the pub buses. Trains on the Dyce line are rather irregular though of course, plus walking to the AECC site from the middle of Bucksburn is a 20 min walk alone. Bus to Craibstone shuttle still easier of all the options imo, but we're niggling here I suppose.

35FC83EA00000578-3676061-image-a-33_1467

If it was on a half arsed basis you’d probably have been one of the 85 that left it too late

If you weren't to build a giant, largely underused stadium just to cater for a busload of folk like me twice a year, then I could just about deal with that. 

That was actually an intended undertone. Glad it worked. [emoji6]

16 hours ago, Hibernia said:

Aberdeen are the third biggest club in Scotland.

No amount of "3 Scottish Cups in 20 years" patter changes this at all. Until either of us win a major European trophy, or come close to the same period of dominance they had in the 1980s, we will not be bigger than them

I'm only going to say this once.

The Heart of Midlothian have wiped the floor with Aberdeen in terms of supporters through the gates each week throughout history. There's also that small fact that we are the Capital's establishment club - they are a provincial north-east backwater.

Are they slightly more successful? Sure. Hearts have underachieved in large spells throughout history.

Oh, and as for the Aberdeen boy saying that we've always 'counted tickets sold' and they've only counted bums on seats... iZT8ghc.png

True fantasy land stuff.

27 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I'm only going to say this once.

The Heart of Midlothian have wiped the floor with Aberdeen in terms of supporters through the gates each week throughout history. There's also that small fact that we are the Capital's establishment club - they are a provincial north-east backwater.

Are they slightly more successful? Sure. Hearts have underachieved in large spells throughout history.

Oh, and as for the Aberdeen boy saying that we've always 'counted tickets sold' and they've only counted bums on seats... iZT8ghc.png

True fantasy land stuff.

I'LL ONLY SAY THIS ONCE

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And then goes on to accuse others of fantasy land stuff :lol:

17 hours ago, Hibernia said:

Aberdeen are the third biggest club in Scotland.

No amount of "3 Scottish Cups in 20 years" patter changes this at all. Until either of us win a major European trophy, or come close to the same period of dominance they had in the 1980s, we will not be bigger than them

This is just not true.  Hearts attendances have been exceeding Aberdeen's by at least 3000 for about 15 years including whilst in the second tier.  They are clearly the third biggest club in Scotland, what happened 35 years ago doesn't matter.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

2 hours ago, RiG said:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread and is of course complete and utter fantasy but what would be really useful would be some kind of spur off the railway line between Dyce and Bucksburn that links to Kingswells and Westhill with a halt by the new ground. Costs would astronomical obviously.

I wouldn't say complete & utter fantasy, but it's not far off.

The Aberdeen Crossrail project for rail improvements over the next 12 years should start to come into the light a bit more this year, with the doubling of track between Aberdeen and Inverurie, increased services and a couple of additional stations, think to be completed sometime in 2019.

After that additional stations within Aberdeen are being proposed and a study was done last year to re-lay track between Dyce & Ellon.

A spur coming off between Bucksburn and Dyce could allow the new AECC, Kingswells, Westhill & the new stadium to be accessed via rail. Cost would be huge yes, but there'd be some justification to gain commuters from Kingswells/Westhill, folk attending events at the stadium & AECC . Could add shuttle busses between the AECC and airport that rail users would utilise.

If it is ever going to happen, it would have to be during the time that this rail project is being worked on.