The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Aye. Speaking as someone who grew up in Aberdeen, EVERYBODY leaves. Spent a year living back with my folks and I had a grand total of two pals from high school still living there. Abdy else was away down in Glasgow or Edinburgh, as was I as soon as I could.

Why would you stay? The Maritime Museum or the job "prospects"?

3 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aye. Speaking as someone who grew up in Aberdeen, EVERYBODY leaves. Spent a year living back with my folks and I had a grand total of two pals from high school still living there. Abdy else was away down in Glasgow or Edinburgh, as was I as soon as I could.

Must just be me that thinks it's alright. 

Certainly many worse places on this island to live. 

14 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

Oh don't get me  wrong, there's a lot going for Aberdeen. Its natural situation is great, mountain, sea, countryside, castles. The town itself has just become too comfortable, and hasn't done anything to try and develop this. 

nothing doing

1 hour ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

#YesKingsford supporters no doubt liked that Manchester City video that was released once they had won the league. 

"If you like lego brick stadiums with no soul or history - shout hooray"

"Hooray"

Didn't watch the video, no interest in it, saw the comments, I can imagine. 

Yes, I like modern stadiums, Pittodrie is an utter dump. Nae dump as in Central Park, but a dump nonetheless. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, shootingboots said:

One of Aberdeen's issues is that it isn't an ex-industrial city that has had to re-invent itself in order to thrive again....such as Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol or even Glasgow.

The city's decent standard of living comes from the recent phenomenom of oil, and because of that the city has never felt that it needs to radically change. A lot of people are well-off and the last thing they want is change.....re-development, new museums, cutting edge architecture, risk taking. That's all too dangerous for many people who live in Aberdeen.

And so we live in a fairly large, rich city where there's hardly a decent museum, no cutting edge modern architecture, a shitepit of a main street, pretty poor shopping overall, and relatively few decent restaurants compared with similar European cities.

Visitaberdeen.com must have a hoor of a hard time.

“As we dither, other city regions in the UK are moving forward, making bold decisions, re-inventing themselves, replacing old industry sectors, embracing culture, building stuff, creating exciting modern city centres where people want to be; and talking themselves up into the bargain. Their citizens choose to get behind this, not descend into civil war over every application.”

Well said.

While other cities in the UK and in Europe re-invent themselves into dynamic, cultural hubs with exciting developments that attract visitors and excite residents, Aberdeen is a morose, dank, dreich backwater forever stuck in the 1950's, and populated with selfish, inward looking, middle aged, middle class w@nkstains.

Scotland's 3rd city, and it's shite. And I say that as a resident.

What a bizarre statement. It's only a football stadium, hardly some kind of revolutionary new development that's going to suddenly turn the city around with the oil and gas downfall. Also, for bigging up creating exciting city centres it's a bold move to champion something that's going to take people away from the city centre or at the very least reduce the amount of time they spend in the city centre on match days.

It’s OK if you like bookies.

And mobile phone shops.

“As we dither, other city regions in the UK are moving forward, making bold decisions, re-inventing themselves, replacing old industry sectors, embracing culture, building stuff, creating exciting modern city centres where people want to be; and talking themselves up into the bargain. Their citizens choose to get behind this, not descend into civil war over every application.”
Well said.
While other cities in the UK and in Europe re-invent themselves into dynamic, cultural hubs with exciting developments that attract visitors and excite residents, Aberdeen is a morose, dank, dreich backwater forever stuck in the 1950's, and populated with selfish, inward looking, middle aged, middle class w@nkstains.

Oh don't get me  wrong, there's a lot going for Aberdeen. Its natural situation is great, mountain, sea, countryside, castles. The town itself has just become too comfortable, and hasn't done anything to try and develop this. 
nothing doing

Couldn't agree more with the above. I say it as someone who has stayed in Aberdeen all my life so far. Hate the place. It is run down, a dump and soulless in the centre. A truly grim place truthfully.

If my girlfriend graduates and gets a job back in Ireland, I will be pretty happy to move over.

13 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Well said.

Until recently I would never have believed it possible, but the way things are going Dundee will pass Aberdeen as a more appealing place to live, work and study within a decade or so. And that's before the oil runs out. Their lack of investment in culture has been a huge omission. 

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

Until recently I would never have believed it possible, but the way things are going Dundee will pass Aberdeen as a more appealing place to live, work and study within a decade or so. And that's before the oil runs out. Their lack of investment in culture has been a huge omission. 

Things don’t look too good in Aberdeen especially the horrendous eyesore built opposite Marischal College but Dundee ? Nah, just nah.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/04/24/development-project-receives-full-planning-approval/

AFC Chairman, Stewart Milne has given the following reaction following the news that the club have now received official planning permission from Aberdeen City Council: “

This is yet another piece of good news in our long-running saga to secure badly needed training and community facilities. We are really excited about letting contracts to local companies for the work and getting started on site. Despite claims by the objectors, we will be going ahead as we are confident that our plans have gone through the proper channels and democratic process.

“It’s now clear from planning and legal experts that the objectors cannot stop these plans. At best, they could hold them up for a matter of months but ultimately our plans will go ahead. The courts won’t entertain a challenge that is just based on the development being in the Green Belt. The objectors need to argue that the process of permitting the development was flawed and, even in the unlikely event that is upheld, the Club and the Council will simply go through the planning process again, correcting any procedural error and the outcome will be the same.

“It’s only right and fair that those donating or making pledges to their cause are fully aware that their money cannot prevent these plans and will simply fund a pointless exercise that will drain Council resources and potentially damage the region’s reputation as a place in which to invest.

“Our aim is to work constructively with the local communities to be a good neighbour and to ensure we deliver the best sports facilities for local people and the best training facilities for the Club.”

Edited by betting competition