The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Now that this looks like it’s definitely happening, might as well get on board with it. Hopefully the facilities can encourage top players to join/stay at Aberdeen. My main complaint is the size of stadium, still think 20,000 is too small. Even 5k more would get it up the Edinburgh sides, would make Aberdeen more capable of hosting Scotland games and would show clear ambition.

20 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Now that this looks like it’s definitely happening, might as well get on board with it. Hopefully the facilities can encourage top players to join/stay at Aberdeen. My main complaint is the size of stadium, still think 20,000 is too small. Even 5k more would get it up the Edinburgh sides, would make Aberdeen more capable of hosting Scotland games and would show clear ambition.

The subsequent cost of the extra 5,000 seats (and space) would rule that out. I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason for the 20,000 capacity was that anyway.

Now the stadium is more likely, it's time for the fans to pressure the club to ensure it will be the best it can be. Standing area like Celtic have (would help with an increased capacity), bars around the ground, essential not to f**k up the transport. 

Looking forward to it though. As we're reminded by away fans all the time, Pittodrie is a shit hole. It's our shithole, but a shithole all the same.

12 hours ago, COYR said:

Ignore this guy Hibernia. He's said on numerous occasions he thinks everyone drives to games and nobody takes buses.

He confuses transport links with public transport links. His face should be a picture when Kingsford has 10,000 empty seats. 

Thousands currently walk. Thousands only have one convenient bus to take. These are the type of people who would be far more likely to drop off than the drivers and passengers who only have to sit in their car for 20 minutes and park next to the ground, who only make up 55-60% of the attendance.

Bollocks. People take buses now, people can take buses to Kingsford, some of them will have a longer bus trip, many much shorter. I'd say nearly every driver will have a shorter trip, but I'm struggling to think of where someone who drives now will have a longer trip, so that is a case of *everyone*.

And if you think anyone who drives now only needs a 20 minute window, you're in cuckoo land. 

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Back on topic, it will be interesting to see what they do for fans in the Dyce / Bucksburn area as at the moment getting to Westhill / Kingswells by public transport is a pain in the arse despite being just over the hill. By the time you get the get the bus into town and then get another one via Lang Stracht, you may as well have walked over the hill for over an hour.

AWPR 

Ahh I should have known that. But yeah, the Dyce P&R is way out of the way off the A96 and presumably the new Airport Road. Certainly not walkable from Dyce.

Handy enough from the Bucksburn area as in theory you won't need to wait more than 15 mins for one of the Stagecoach / First airport buses to go 5 mins up the road to Dyce Drive. However, that could quickly go tits up when X number of people all decide to go at the same time between a double decker and a basic one.    

Bit more of a pain for Dyce as they'd need to hop on a bus down to Bucksburn first and wait there for an A96 route, so all in it'll take around an hour to go a stadium ~5 miles away, taking waiting / connections into consideration. Time wise, that's the equivalent of driving to Kingsford from Keith. That said, for Pittodrie it takes just over half an hour from Dyce to Mounthooly plus a 10 walk to the ground, so the move would only cause an extra inconvenience of 15 mins or so.

AWPR 

See my previous post regarding probability of no service buses going along that part of the AWPR.  However, shuttles from Craibstone will probably sort that out, although that working is entirely reliant on limited public bus services getting people to the otherwise inaccessible P&R.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread and is of course complete and utter fantasy but what would be really useful would be some kind of spur off the railway line between Dyce and Bucksburn that links to Kingswells and Westhill with a halt by the new ground. Costs would astronomical obviously.

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Let’s hope that this result means that everyone on this thread who has absolutely material interest, moves on to something else that they can moan about.

I'm glad that you know all about my interest in this - as I said up thread I've probably lived in Aberdeen for longer than 95% of the posters on this thread. But you carry on kicking out like a 4 year old at people who hold differing opinions on a public message board.

1 minute ago, Jason King said:

I'm glad that you know all about my interest in this - as I said up thread I've probably lived in Aberdeen for longer than 95% of the posters on this thread. But you carry on kicking out like a 4 year old at people who hold differing opinions on a public message board.

Is Aberdeen moving from Pittodrie to Kingsford going to materially change your life?

The essentials ;
-all enclosed stadium (no compromising on this)
-one that is designed to capture noise and is atmosphere creating
-away fans in a corner. Not behind the goals
-at least one....substantial....bar/beerhall. For home fans only. F*ck away fans, they can stop at Stonehaven.
Preferred :
-a standing area for home fans

It needs a decent standing area. Any time I'm at Pittodrie you'll see at least 300 folk standing at the back of the South Stand and the X Section and the stewards just accept it. I noticed the other week that Celtic had their green brigade corner fixed up with the standing railings and I quite liked the look of that.

As for a beer HALL, if anybody goes to the annual beer festival inside the Dick Donald Stand then they'd know that something like that would be brilliant (doubtful you'd get the hundred real ales of course), although probably entirely impractical on that scale. A small version of that under one of the stands would be pretty good, just for that glorious beer hall rabble sound if nothing else.

However, it needs a pie and bovril stand (food, not Div's cronies handing sign-up-now flyers), not some Domino's pizza / hot dog stand like we had at Celtic Park.

20 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Is Aberdeen moving from Pittodrie to Kingsford going to materially change your life?

How do you know I'm not the owner of the Pitt?

You don't, so please let the grown ups continue to debate this in a sensible fashion whilst children like you lash out petulantly.

I think it's a pretty decent number tbh. Aberdeen are one of these clubs where they're never going to remarkably increase their attendance figures unless they start winning European trophies regularly and poaching fans off of St Johnstone. I don't think there's even a notable improvement since winning the League Cup / being Scotland's 2nd team.
The only time you see Pittodrie nearly full is for the big OF games. For the vast majority of other games it's largely swathes of empty seats and making a larger ground would just make it depressing for both the fans and players. Even closing the Upper Deck of the RD and making them use the seats in the lower one makes a decent difference these days.

2 minutes ago, Jason King said:

How do you know I'm not the owner of the Pitt?

You don't, so please let the grown ups continue to debate this in a sensible fashion whilst children like you lash out petulantly.

Well , that was an extremely grown up and mature answer. The decision to move is going to affect my life as I am a season ticket holder (over 65) and I go to all home matches. Although, like probably most fans, I would love to remain at Pittodrie, where I have gone for the last 60 years, I realise that this is not an option. It may have been an option a number of years ago, but, no matter what the reasons, it is not an option now. So I will have to change my match day routine, but am more than happy to o do this.

I think it's a pretty decent number tbh. Aberdeen are one of these clubs where they're never going to remarkably increase their attendance figures unless they start winning European trophies regularly and poaching fans off of St Johnstone. I don't think there's even a notable improvement since winning the League Cup / being Scotland's 2nd team.
The only time you see Pittodrie nearly full is for the big OF games. For the vast majority of other games it's largely swathes of empty seats and making a larger ground would just make it depressing for both the fans and players. Even closing the Upper Deck of the RD and making them use the seats in the lower one makes a decent difference these days.

You want it big enough that you’re not regularly locking people out and small enough that a midweek fixture against Kilmarnock halfway through a mediocre season can still make the place feel busy

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The ground is also more or less full for our European matches. The upper deck of the RDS is only closed for cup matches.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Well , that was an extremely grown up and mature answer. The decision to move is going to affect my life as I am a season ticket holder (over 65) and I go to all home matches. Although, like probably most fans, I would love to remain at Pittodrie, where I have gone for the last 60 years, I realise that this is not an option. It may have been an option a number of years ago, but, no matter what the reasons, it is not an option now. So I will have to change my match day routine, but am more than happy to o do this.

Good man. I respect your dedication but you are going to be in for a big shock.

You want it big enough that you’re not regularly locking people out and small enough that a midweek fixture against Kilmarnock halfway through a mediocre season can still make the place feel busy

This is exactly what I was attempting to get over.  

The ground is also more or less full for our European matches. The upper deck of the RDS is only closed for cup matches.

"More or less", so don't actually need the current full capacity even for the European ties then.

The decision to move is going to affect my life as I am a season ticket holder (over 65) and I go to all home matches. Although, like probably most fans, I would love to remain at Pittodrie, where I have gone for the last 60 years
If watching your team it's less effort than having to get the bus into town to catch a train to Montrose to wait 20 mins for a bus out to Brechin, to wait an hour for the next post-match bus back to Montrose to wait 40 mins for the next train back up to Aberdeen to wait for a half hour bus home having watched your team get pumped yet again, then count yourself lucky. [emoji6]