A video history of Scottish football

To avoid muddying the excellent Photo History thread with videos (something I've been guilty of) I thought I'd create this thread.

Of course I bring you our legendary win at Tannadixe in 1996. This was the penultimate game of season 95/96, and United were top of the league. A win would see them lift win the league. We were 2 points behind but with a superior goal difference. A capacity crowd saw us win 0-1. 9 out of 10 papers said United would win. United had Christian Daily, Steven Presley, Maurice Malpas, Andy McLaren, Craig Brewster, Owen Coyle, Gary McSwegan, Robbie Winters and others in their team. 

This game was the main game on Sportscene that Saturday, as First Division games often were. The league contained us, both Dundee teams, Morton, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Hamilton, Clydebank, Dumbarton and Airdrie. Great league. Hamilton were relegated. We won the league. United were away to 3rd placed Morton on the last day and drew 2-2. We were at home to Airdrie but kicked off 10 minutes late due to the huge crowd (circa 16k). We won 2-1 but the result from Greenock 10 minutes from time gave us the title. United beat Partick in the playoffs to join us in the Premier League.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meadowbank Thistle 1 Kilmarnock 8.

I hadn't realised there was footage of this game (although the Killie Kunt has missed out our goal!). I was there that night. Meadowbank had played Sat,midweek, Sat, midweek for about a month and our part time players looked knacked in this game. On the other hand it was a fairly tasty Killie team. 

Nice to see the scoreboard in full working action at the end of the footage! 

Dundee win 5-1 at Ibrox during their one and only Championship season. Dundee were top of the table and Gilzean scored 4 on a day when hardly any Dundee fans made it through amid buses being turned back and rumours of the thick fog cancelling the game. 

Dundee embarked on a poor run of form post New Year and it looked like a resurgent Rangers would overtake them to the title, however a hard fought 0-0 against them at Dens stemmed the tide, and late wins at Tannadice, then at home to St Mirren in midweek where, leading 1-0, Pat Liney saved a late penalty (Rangers lost to Aberdeen the same night), led to that glorious final day at Muirton.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Dundee win 5-1 at Ibrox during their one and only Championship season. Dundee were top of the table and Gilzean scored 4 on a day when hardly any Dundee fans made it through amid buses being turned back and rumours of the thick fog cancelling the game. 

Yet Alex Ferguson managed to claim in his self serving book that he was the first visiting player to score a hatrick at Ibrox, when performing the feat for St Johnstone a few years later.

This then became a "fact" and was even the answer to a question on 'A Question of Sport'.

Yet Alex Ferguson managed to claim in his self serving book that he was the first visiting player to score a hatrick at Ibrox, when performing the feat for St Johnston's a few years later.
This then became a "fact" and was even the answer to a question on 'A Question of Sport'.
Only 3? Pah [emoji38]

Didn't know he'd come away with that tbh.

13 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Only 3? Pah emoji38.png

Didn't know he'd come away with that tbh.

Yes, I just cheated by checking in case I'd made it up.  There it is on page 51 - "I scored a hatrick, the first player ever to do so against Rangers at Ibrox".  

What makes the claim more remarkable is that his hatrick came only two years after Gilzean's, a player not exactly unknown either side of the border.  He'd also gone on about that Dundee side a few pages earlier when reflecting on his own appearance in the Muirton Park game of your second clip.

To avoid muddying the excellent Photo History thread with videos... 9 out of 10 papers said United would win

Sorry to be pedantic but wasn't it that 9 out of 10 managers asked by the Sun said that United would win? They had a big headline in their Goals pull-out saying "UNITED 9... DUNFERNLINE 0" or something? There were 10 teams in the league that season mind you so I can't 100% remember who the 9 managers they asked were - I'd assumed it was a 12 team league and it was the other 10 managers. There must be a Pars fan with that Goals pull-out somewhere surely? That's going to bug me now.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

That was the replay.  First game that Saints should have won ended 1-1 . Fred Aitken scored directly from a corner but it wasn't given by Fatty Wharton.

Archived