Bonnyrigg Rose should they stay or should they go...

Unknown Fan

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Weren't Bonnyrigg a Senior club when they were founded, playing in the Scottish Cup, before going Junior?

Why on earth would anyone change a badge because they changed a league. I've seen a "same club" argument somewhere before in Scotland. I just can't put my finger on where. But unless you went out the box and got liquidated you wouldn't be a different team. Linlithgow have had 2 spells of 10 years out of junior football as a result of 2 world wars and the challenges of getting up and running. We're still Linlithgow Rose though. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

If that's the kind of money that's floating around, and you have a license,then its a dun deal that the Bonnyrigg  Officials will win the day and move to the E of S. next season..Dont know what they will adopt as their club badge because the 1881 one will be redundant...and I hope this time that they Register/Copyright the new badge and stop any other team from using it like happens at the moment.....

Ah the battle of the Roses :lol:

There's finally a clue in their now, I think you should enlighten folk what you mean by other teams using the same badge. 

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

If Junior clubs join en-masse under the jurisdiction of the SJFA one day (unlikely) then there is still one problem. The SJFA.

Unlikely? Clubs responding to the SJFA consultation on joining the pyramid are 2:1 in favour

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

What gives you that impression?  the SFA very rarely comment publicly on the Pyramid and I don't see anything in SJFA notes on these meetings suggesting such a feeling.  The only thing I can see them moving on is removing Licences from clubs who hold them but continue to sit outside the Pyramid.

They should be leading a review and implementation of a WoSFL, but currently they're not but neither do I think they would oppose a club lead initiative to make it happen.  Problem is the SJFA are talking to them on this matter, and they probably don't have any inkling of the feelings of Junior clubs, only TJ & Co's opinion. Never a recipe for progress.

On the contrary. Three quarters of SJFA member clubs have replied to the pyramid consultation, so TJ & Co know very well what the clubs' feelings are and this will no doubt inform further discussions with the SFA

3 minutes ago, archieb said:

Unlikely? Clubs responding to the SJFA consultation on joining the pyramid are 2:1 in favour

On the contrary. Three quarters of SJFA member clubs have replied to the pyramid consultation, so TJ & Co know very well what the clubs' feelings are and this will no doubt inform further discussions with the SFA

Surveys showing a majority in favour (and a significant minority against) don't always equal positive meaningful action by the SJFA. Which one of the two options were the majority in favour of, equal status with LL or equal status with EoS?  and if you have any faith in TJ & Co all of a sudden changing tact in meetings with the SFA into one of positivity and inclusion, you have more faith than me!

24 minutes ago, HTG said:

Why on earth would anyone change a badge because they changed a league. I've seen a "same club" argument somewhere before in Scotland. I just can't put my finger on where. But unless you went out the box and got liquidated you wouldn't be a different team. Linlithgow have had 2 spells of 10 years out of junior football as a result of 2 world wars and the challenges of getting up and running. We're still Linlithgow Rose though. 

That's what you think...

The way I see it just now the SFA dont want all the junior clubs jumping ship.  They want the big clubs Boness, Bonnyrigg, Pollok, Auchinleck etc but they need to consider all clubs.
Nobody would be getting put on scrap heap stopping the current situation would only be acceptable if they then produced an agreed structure for all within an agreed time frame for all clubs.  Am no holding my breath as as you say that takes balls and leadership.  We wont get a democratic agreement as if every association and club have there say we will never agree.  The governing body should take the lead and implement the restructure.  Then whatever they come up which would need to disband associations and bring everyone into one.  Clubs could agree to be part of it or not.

Full SFA membership is currently restricted to 200 clubs. Currently there are 93 if I remember correctly so plenty space for new members at the moment

13 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Ah the battle of the Roses :lol:

There's finally a clue in their now, I think you should enlighten folk what you mean by other teams using the same badge. 

Simply..the various teams that come under the Bonnyrigg rose umbrella and when you are approached to sponsor a parents run or a racenight they all say its for.Bonnyrigg Rose....simple...confusion..they don't identify the actual team till you ask..if you know to ask...The majority presume its for the big Rose , by all means use the Lancashire Rose emblem sure but not the 1881 ..now the big team who rightly own it are going Senior.

You've got to laugh at some of the Seniorists on here, they seem to be under the impression that all will be all right dropping down a league or three. Wait till the chairmen turns around and says, we're a quarter of million nuggets in debt and we no longer own the ground. And oh, i've resigned but don't worry the game against Threave Rovers away on Saturday is on.

And the local Junior team is in the league above you.

hee hee.

Who will be dropping down a league or three? The senior leagues are all higher in the pantheon of Scottish football than the Junior leagues. If the rumours are true then Edinburgh United will be better placed than St Rochs, Talbot et al

ha ha

8 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

You've got to laugh at some of the Seniorists on here, they seem to be under the impression that all will be all right dropping down a league or three. Wait till the chairmen turns around and says, we're a quarter of million nuggets in debt and we no longer own the ground. And oh, i've resigned but don't worry the game against Threave Rovers away on Saturday is on.

And the local Junior team is in the league above you.

hee hee.

Aye there's very few own their own ground. Some are disadvantaged there :whistle

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If I'm supposed to feel bad about this then sorry, I don't.

Are you really arguing that the junior cup is a better competition than the senior cup?  I'm not talking about looking forward to one more than the other because you get in for f**k all and can get steaming drunk with the opposition in some golf-club-like-hell, we're talking about the competition. He was right, they aren't even comparable, the senior cup pisses all over the junior one.

I'm quite happy paying decent money to watch my part time team sustain itself in Scotland's second tier, I was also happy (and excited) watching us beat the likes of Hibs, Dundee United and St Mirren.  I don't drink in our bar, I drink in the local pub and funnily enough I can have a pint with many opposition fans there. 

Oh and I see you're another peddling this "soulless stadium" pish.  Can you give me an example of a stadium which has "soul"?  

I think both sides are missing the point a bit. The senior cup has bigger, better teams, but it isn't the principle competition for the league teams who enter it. Maybe it is for the senior non league teams. But the Junior Cup is the principle competition for the teams that enter that.

33 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think both sides are missing the point a bit. The senior cup has bigger, better teams, but it isn't the principle competition for the league teams who enter it. Maybe it is for the senior non league teams. But the Junior Cup is the principle competition for the teams that enter that.

But as I've stated before it could still be a principle non league Cup from a certain level doon though Sergeant. 

32 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Bonnyrigg Rose were playing as a senior team from 1889 until at least 1895/6, Eos cup was won 1898. There wasn't any junior football as such in 1881 and the Midlothian Junior league wasn't formed until 1893/4 according to this link http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/midlothian-junior-league.htm

They were founder members of the East of Scotland JFA in 1896, and entered the Midlothian League in 1897-98 where they won it and the first East of Scotland Cup.

Presumably therefore the date 1881 means they were Senior between then and sometime before 1896. Looks like they could be returning to their roots....

9 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

But as I've stated before it could still be a principle non league Cup from a certain level doon though Sergeant. 

I agree that's the best solution, but it might lose a bit of prestige. Over the years that might get won back, like the Vase and Trophy in England. (There we go, copying them again.)

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

They were founder members of the East of Scotland JFA in 1896, and entered the Midlothian League in 1897-98 where they won it and the first East of Scotland Cup.

Presumably therefore the date 1881 means they were Senior between then and sometime before 1896. Looks like they could be returning to their roots....

There’s the marketing hook right there for Bonnyrigg to create a buzz around the club and the community “Returning To Their Senior Roots After 137 Years” 

4 hours ago, BENJI BOY said:

Simply..the various teams that come under the Bonnyrigg rose umbrella and when you are approached to sponsor a parents run or a racenight they all say its for.Bonnyrigg Rose....simple...confusion..they don't identify the actual team till you ask..if you know to ask...The majority presume its for the big Rose , by all means use the Lancashire Rose emblem sure but not the 1881 ..now the big team who rightly own it are going Senior.

So the youth teams shouldn't identify with the juniors????   absolute pish

6 hours ago, BENJI BOY said:

Well its a brave new era for the club, now Senior and leaving its junior heritage behind....Start with a fresh logo/badge for the Senior ranks..Everyone wants them to be bold,then go all the way,and don't hang on to the past.

You don’t half go on and on and on

5 hours ago, BENJI BOY said:

Bonnyrigg  became the Rose in 1881 when the original Bonnyrigg team---- the Swifts---joined the junior ranks in theMidlothian league according to their official history..unlike PenicuikAth and Boness  both Senior clubs in the real meaning of the word in their early days..They were the first team to win the present East of Scotland Cup in 1897...but they have been junior all that time.....unlike others who floated back and forward in the many Leagues in these days.

Bonnyrigg hold the record between winning games in the Scottish cup - 114 years iirc. They entered the Scottish cup in the 1890s

Archived