Netflix

Biscuits

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

GoT is a good example of why I normally hold off on watching something (usually American) straight away. I've heard numerous people saying it was an awful ending and as a result I probably won't ever bother. The same way I haven't bothered with Lost. That and the fact American will drop shows in the blink of an eye makes me cautious of diving in straight away.

Though not having FB or Twitter means I'm not usually one for reading spoilers so will watch someone from the off if it takes my fancy.

Watch them both. My favourite two series ever. Lost probably edges it for me.

51 minutes ago, Nick_BCFC said:

Watch them both. My favourite two series ever. Lost probably edges it for me.

Aye. The endings of both were far from perfect and probably move them down the list of 'best ever shows' IMO but they are still great series. I never finished Lost when it was on originally and only finally got round to watching it again last year thanks to covid giving me a lot more time for these things. The outcry over the ending was one of the reasons I never bothered going back to it for 10 years but I didn't think it was that bad tbh.

Edited by EH75

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think watching Lost, knowing the ending would kill a lot of the suspense/the mystery. I don't want to watch 6 seasons to be proven correct.

I’ve watched it about 5 times and I’m still not too sure I fully understand the ending!

Lost had some great moments in it but it's held up as the worst case of hubristic mystery box writing for a reason. I'm not necessarily against someone not having the answers to their initial premises when they start writing but that show still hadn't worked out where it was going after it concluded.

Game of Thrones is great for 4 seasons then it's fine for 2, then it's eh for one and then it's horrific for the final season. It was really funny watching people coming to terms with how much Benioff and Weiss were unqualified to wrap that story up and how much they had mentally tuned out by the last 6 episodes in anticipation of other projects which I think they had taken away from them. What's even funnier tho is you can clearly see George R. R. Martin took one long at what they served up and realised he just couldn't be arsed tying it up either so now he's doing shit like world-building for Fromsoft games.

Lost had some great moments in it but it's held up as the worst case of hubristic mystery box writing for a reason. I'm not necessarily against someone not having the answers to their initial premises when they start writing but that show still hadn't worked out where it was going after it concluded.

See also The Walking Dead. I'm fully prepared for a shite ending as it's been in decline for years but I've got this far I need to stick with it. It'll be a chore though and I've yet to watch the latest episodes.

Seaspiracy.   Zzzzz.   I’m sure there’s an important point to be made in there, but it was lost in the self-important narration and sanctimonious preaching.   Always nice to have something else to fling at Peterhead Tories though.

Seaspiracy.   Zzzzz.   I’m sure there’s an important point to be made in there, but it was lost in the self-important narration and sanctimonious preaching.   Always nice to have something else to fling at Peterhead Tories though.
Really that's your take away? That the guy came across a bit preachy? This is as serious an issue as it gets.

32 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Really that's your take away? That the guy came across a bit preachy? This is as serious an issue as it gets.

Precisely my point.  There was absolutely no need to make it a first person documentary with long lingering shots of him looking sad in his car. 

Has anyone watched Midnight Diner? 
It's not a typical Netflix show as it's gentle and low on drama i.e. not binge-fest material, but it is something different and I find it quirky and charming.

Aye. Few episodes in and have enjoyed it. Quirky is the right word. Enjoyable wee stories each episode and I love watching the food being prepared.

I actually tried the butter rice after watching it being made and it's surprisingly delicious.

19 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

Has anyone watched Midnight Diner? 

It's not a typical Netflix show as it's gentle and low on drama i.e. not binge-fest material, but it is something different and I find it quirky and charming.

Big fan of it.  It’s not exactly life changing, and some of the acting is flat out awful (Gen) but it’s strangely compelling.  

Just finished watching the 2nd series of Snowpiercer and I absolutely loved it. Epic telly.

I've tended to avoid dystopian stuff lately due to the negative impact (not major, but noticeable) on my mood, but this show is driven ostensibly by hope. 

I noticed too how it manages to have women in positions of power and authority without ever needing to reduce the power and agency of the male characters. The characters of Bess and Melanie are engaging and real. Melanie as the antagonist in the first series is one of the most complex, conflicting and interesting antagonists I've ever seen. I genuinely found myself partially rooting for her. The characters are just so damned well written and the whole story is just well done. There was a real opportunity to make this a commentary on class divisions and how demagogues flourish amid desperation. They managed to do that without hitting you over the head with it and just getting on with telling a story, allowing the audience to make up their minds. 

It's a diverse group of characters whose diversity doesn't feel forced (unlike, for example, The Witcher) and whose diversity is never really mentioned. It's a society where a black man can become a leader by dint of his charisma and competence (and compassion, to complete the alliteration) and that a woman can become the head engineer by being obviously brilliant. The casting is absolutely spot on (the lassie playing LJ is utterly mesmerising and genuinely unsettling) and the pacing of the storytelling is also.

Get it watched.

42 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just finished watching the 2nd series of Snowpiercer and I absolutely loved it. Epic telly.

I've tended to avoid dystopian stuff lately due to the negative impact (not major, but noticeable) on my mood, but this show is driven ostensibly by hope. 

I noticed too how it manages to have women in positions of power and authority without ever needing to reduce the power and agency of the male characters. The characters of Bess and Melanie are engaging and real. Melanie as the antagonist in the first series is one of the most complex, conflicting and interesting antagonists I've ever seen. I genuinely found myself partially rooting for her. The characters are just so damned well written and the whole story is just well done. There was a real opportunity to make this a commentary on class divisions and how demagogues flourish amid desperation. They managed to do that without hitting you over the head with it and just getting on with telling a story, allowing the audience to make up their minds. 

It's a diverse group of characters whose diversity doesn't feel forced (unlike, for example, The Witcher) and whose diversity is never really mentioned. It's a society where a black man can become a leader by dint of his charisma and competence (and compassion, to complete the alliteration) and that a woman can become the head engineer by being obviously brilliant. The casting is absolutely spot on (the lassie playing LJ is utterly mesmerising and genuinely unsettling) and the pacing of the storytelling is also.

Get it watched.

Second this. Its a good story, not forced, well paced and always interesting. Doesn't seem to be showing too many signs of shark jumping which this type of show often does. Sean Bean is a tremendous b*****d in it too. Absolute fanny of a man!!!