Netflix

Biscuits

Just finished Money Heist. Not embarrassed to say i shed a little tear. Read a review of the last episode from someone who said they shouldve done a Sopranos type ending (if you have seen the episode, you would know at which part) which i think actually wouldve worked here

Currently watching the last few episodes of La Casa de Papel (Money Heist) and it's ok. I like that they can still create tension, even after the professor gets out of it repeatedly. I like how the characters are likeable. I still love Helsinki, Palermo and the Professor, and I still pure fancy Alicia Sierra. 

There are big problems though. The fact that all of the characters are incapable of regulating emotions turns even the slightest setback into a huge fucking drama. Temayo is the worst for this. He is a manchild whose petulant ego is the driving force in all of his (re)actions. He's also maddeningly incompetent and, you imagine, would have been removed early on. Denver is a close second. An utter bellend of a character who offers next to nothing in terms of expertise. He has no skills useful to this robbery, but is just here because he was in the last one (alongside his equally useless paramour, Stockholm). He spends much of this series throwing tantrum after tantrum and it's more soap opera than heist movie with these guys. 

Actually there really shouldn't have been a third series. There were some delightful bits of nonsense in the first three, but each character had a part to play and their own arc and story. It was genuinely fun and engaging. This has been a bit more of a hodgepodge of misguided fan service and pretty lazy writing. The first heist had charm. And a lower body count. This one is more violent, but it's entirely one dimensional. The baddies are bad, they don't have motivations beyond simply winning and Temayo is a pantomime baddie, which is a waste of a good actor. 

I'll keep watching it as I'm invested, but I just wanted to have a moan about it here ☺️

I'd like to hear other thoughts and am unafraid of hearing that I might be talking pish.

16 minutes ago, Sammy00 said:

Ratched series is cool. I watched it steadily, time flew by unnoticed. It is not for everyone, many will think that this is some kind of cruel nonsense. But I see something more in this, a very high-quality picture, it does not load, although it keeps it in suspense, everything is beautiful, juicy, and of high quality. And of course, everything is exaggerated here, black humor, you need to understand it. I think this is a very worthy novelty, everyone played just fine! I recommend!)

I couldn't

get into it after the first episode but the missus liked it. Mayby gave her ideas...

Arcane. Bloody hell. Magnificent series.

My only slight regret about it is that I didn't have a huge massive telly to watch it on. 

The artwork and soundtrack are absolutely stunning and add so much to what is already tremendous writing and intricately detailed characterisation. 

I love series where characters aren't either good or bad, and when the writers let you consider the relative merits of each motivation. We're clear who the protagonists are, and who the main antagonist is, but we're not always in favour of the actions of the hero, and we're invited also to have sympathy for the goals of the antagonist. 

It's animated, but definitely not for weans.

This was absolutely fuckin brilliant.

Second season of The Witcher is very, very good, but the ending…oh my.

Having actually played the Witcher 3 for the first time in between watching the first season and the second, it was much easier to follow knowing both the references, and what happens at that point in the story.

On 16/12/2021 at 00:00, velo army said:

Arcane. Bloody hell. Magnificent series.

My only slight regret about it is that I didn't have a huge massive telly to watch it on.

The artwork and soundtrack are absolutely stunning and add so much to what is already tremendous writing and intricately detailed characterisation. 

I love series where characters aren't either good or bad, and when the writers let you consider the relative merits of each motivation. We're clear who the protagonists are, and who the main antagonist is, but we're not always in favour of the actions of the hero, and we're invited also to have sympathy for the goals of the antagonist. 

It's animated, but definitely not for weans.

This was absolutely fuckin brilliant.

Get a better TV and watch it again. More than enough going on to get something out of a second watch.

Currently watching the second series of the Witcher and it's very good. The plot is obviously great and it's visually much better than the earlier parts of the first series. Freya Allan is absolutely fantastic as Siri and Cavill is having a whale of a time as Geralt. It's a real pleasure following their journey on screen.

Jaskier is probably the worst character in this though. Utterly pointless and creates tonal clashes every time he steps on screen. In the books his character is fun and witty, whose purpose is clear. Here it's like the writers have decided that instead of a subtle, fun character who has chemistry with Geralt, we need a spoilt man-child who needs to be led by the hand through each scene. With Siri being Geralt's companion it isn't clear what Jaskier's purpose is at all. He's narcissistic, needy and passive aggressive, and not at all funny. I know he'll fucking survive everything too, which is awful. 

The plot is unfolding nicely and the effects are much better than in the first series. It's got a coherent storyline and plot, compared to the first series which was largely a collection of short stories. I'm really into it, and I want to see more of the elves and their conflict with the humans. Bringing us to the home of the witchers was a very nice touch too, giving us a greater emotional tie to Geralt. Kim Bodnia as Vesemir is wonderful too, providing a gentle fatherly energy to Siri and Geralt. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it all develop. Without Jaskier, ideally.

Edited by velo army

On 23/11/2021 at 17:29, Arch Stanton said:

LA Confidential is now on Netflix.

If you haven't seen it you're in for a treat.

Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Guy Pierce and James Cromwell give close to career best performances in a cracking story of sleaze and corruption in 50s LA.

Kevin Spacey really steals the show for me. A treat is the right description of it. Period pieces these days so often still look modern whereas this looks like 1950s LA, which gives the film a really timeless feel.

Currently watching the second series of the Witcher and it's very good. The plot is obviously great and it's visually much better than the earlier parts of the first series. Freya Allan is absolutely fantastic as Siri and Cavill is having a whale of a time as Geralt. It's a real pleasure following their journey on screen.
Jaskier is probably the worst character in this though. Utterly pointless and creates tonal clashes every time he steps on screen. In the books his character is fun and witty, whose purpose is clear. Here it's like the writers have decided that instead of a subtle, fun character who has chemistry with Geralt, we need a spoilt man-child who needs to be led by the hand through each scene. With Siri being Geralt's companion it isn't clear what Jaskier's purpose is at all. He's narcissistic, needy and passive aggressive, and not at all funny. I know he'll fucking survive everything too, which is awful. 
The plot is unfolding nicely and the effects are much better than in the first series. It's got a coherent storyline and plot, compared to the first series which was largely a collection of short stories. I'm really into it, and I want to see more of the elves and their conflict with the humans. Bringing us to the home of the witchers was a very nice touch too, giving us a greater emotional tie to Geralt. Kim Bodnia as Vesemir is wonderful too, providing a gentle fatherly energy to Siri and Geralt. 
I'm looking forward to seeing it all develop. Without Jaskier, ideally.

Tbf, although I haven’t read the books, I found Dandelion incredibly annoying, self-important and self-obsessed in the game, so the character was basically what I expected. Hadn’t actually realised that was different from his character in the books

Watched Dont Look Up lastnight. Was pretty good. Excellent cast, thought Meryl Streep was excellent as the president. Guess the film is a bit of a commentary about how bad politics is these days and the undue influence wielded by social media.... It all seemed depressingly credible that in real life, it could easily play out like it did in the film.

• 2 weeks later...
Watched Dont Look Up lastnight. Was pretty good. Excellent cast, thought Meryl Streep was excellent as the president. Guess the film is a bit of a commentary about how bad politics is these days and the undue influence wielded by social media.... It all seemed depressingly credible that in real life, it could easily play out like it did in the film.
Yeah i think the full film runs as a parody on the corona virus pandemic and the incompetent political handling of it enjoyed it

Don't Look Up B2B Death to 2021. 

A great week for smug liberals who have to explain the joke.

David Sirota and Adam McKay losing the plot at any and all criticism on Twitter has been the most entertaining bit of the Don't Look Up release.

On 26/12/2021 at 10:53, Bairnardo said:

16 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:
On 26/12/2021 at 10:53, Bairnardo said:

Yeah i think the full film runs as a parody on the corona virus pandemic and the incompetent political handling of it enjoyed it

I'm fairly sure the creators said it's about climate change.

Edited by NotThePars

Been watching "The Keepers" pretty harrowing tale about a nun's murder and a cover up of sexual abuse at a catholic school in Baltimore. It's pretty clear the abuse is genuine and long term but (surprise) the authorities never acted on complaints.