Motherwell v Rangers

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bodied them all over the shop in the first half , simply because they are not very good ,  then pat our shants for first 15 mins of 2nd half to let them back in. 

Was in the Cooper Stand at opposite side from penalty calls, but Rangers one allegedly very soft , who'd have thought it eh ? 

A draw not the worst result in the world, but definitely heading home feeling like it's 2 points dropped. 

Disappointing not t to get the win but we were sloppy at the back for the entire 2nd half. Far from the iron curtain we put up against Celtic.

Main was immense again and combined skill with work rate. Deserve motm. I thought we fell out the game 2nd half as Rangers basically attacked down one side of the pitch. Campbell looked tired towards the end and Cadden was ineffective for long spells. No idea why Petrovicious was brought on, the guy is complete mince. MacLean or Newell are far better options.

A point just about keeps us in the top 6 race but looks unlikely now. I expect Hearts to get what they need.

I thought Main and Campbell were immense today. We gave Sevco too much respect in the second half and a draw possibly was a fair result.

By the way there is nothing more majestic that a Charles Dunne diving header. The best thing in football.

Campbell and Main in that first half was one of the best things I’ve seen at Fir Park. Main is built like a gorilla and skilful as f**k, and Campbell just loves a tackle. I can only assume Petravicius won a competition to get a contract with us as he is absolute humpty.

Also Morelos is utter dung and there is no way anybody bid £8 million for him.

We were superb in the first half and could have been more than the two up. However, a poor opening 20 minutes to the second half cost us.  I've no idea why the Motherwell players took the foot of the gas. But fair play, when it looked like we were going under, we dug it and kept hold of the point. 

Nothing more to add about Curtis Main. What a machine! 

Thought draw was right result really.Great first half from us unlucky not to go in 3-0 up.Curtis Main is the man covers every blade of grass superb hold up play and strong as an ox. How long has he signed up for would hope to get him on an extended contract

7 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Thought draw was right result really.Great first half from us unlucky not to go in 3-0 up.Curtis Main is the man covers every blade of grass superb hold up play and strong as an ox. How long has he signed up for would hope to get him on an extended contract

He signed an "initial 18 month contract" in January so it'll be up up at the end of next season: http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/01/03/curtis-main-makes-motherwell-move/

Bad result especially considering today's other results. Could have been worse however and we are lucky that we didn't lose after that abortion of a first half performance.

Our CB situation is awful at the moment and even with Bates back is nowhere near the level required.

4-2-3-1 with Windass at 10 is basically the exact same as a 4-4-2 - we get overrun in midfield far too easily. 

Murty needs to make changes earlier. He left it the same for so long as we got it back to 2-2 but for the periods of the 2nd half we looked toothless as well. We needed changes earlier.

Definitely mixed emotions after that one, ultimately it's disappointing to drop 2 points after such a commanding first half display but plenty of positives to take from it as well. Plenty of other Motherwell teams of the past would have buckled and lost so it's a credit to this lot that they dug in and took something.

Have to say I think folk are being a touch harsh about our start to the 2nd half, it's never a penalty and once they get that it changes the entire game. The momentum swung in their favour and you could see them visibly get a massive lift, even then we went straight up the park after the 2nd and Main hits the bar which could have easily tipped it back in our favour. Fine margins and all that- although the defending for Murphy's goal was really poor to allow him back inside onto his stronger foot.

Main is an absolute monster but he can play as well, best player on the park today and a great find by Robinson. Campbell's still only a teenager but continues to impress each week, he's shown before today that he's capable of getting forward into the box and if he can start to add more goals to his game then sky's the limit for the kid. Once again we play better football with Frear in the team but again I'm not convinced by him defensively, although I concede it's not his natural game. I called it a while ago and a few people disagreed and thought I was being harsh but if anyone still thinks Petravicius is a footballer then they need their head checked. Absolute humpty the boy, dunno what Maclean has done to Robinson but he surely deserves more minutes than this guy? Or even Newell who's at least shown enough to suggest he's actually a footballer.

Anyway, not too bothered cause top six was already long gone but we have shown these last two games that we're more than capable of competing with anyone in this country on our day- which hopefully bodes well for the Cup Semi coming up which really is the priority for us now.

2 hours ago, mjw said:

f**k sake they even got Alex Rae to admit he was mistaken and it was a penalty.
Wouldn't be a Rangers thread without him throwing a line out though.

Alex Rae is entitled to his opinion but so am I and in my opinion, we got lucky with that decision. But it doesn't matter, we got it and scored it and found ourselves in what should have been a winning position but like the Hearts game, failed to.turn up for the start of the second half and paid the penalty, literally. Their penalty was also soft and they were lucky to get it, just as we were in the first half.

Definitely mixed emotions after that one, ultimately it's disappointing to drop 2 points after such a commanding first half display but plenty of positives to take from it as well. Plenty of other Motherwell teams of the past would have buckled and lost so it's a credit to this lot that they dug in and took something.
Have to say I think folk are being a touch harsh about our start to the 2nd half, it's never a penalty and once they get that it changes the entire game. The momentum swung in their favour and you could see them visibly get a massive lift, even then we went straight up the park after the 2nd and Main hits the bar which could have easily tipped it back in our favour. Fine margins and all that- although the defending for Murphy's goal was really poor to allow him back inside onto his stronger foot.
Main is an absolute monster but he can play as well, best player on the park today and a great find by Robinson. Campbell's still only a teenager but continues to impress each week, he's shown before today that he's capable of getting forward into the box and if he can start to add more goals to his game then sky's the limit for the kid. Once again we play better football with Frear in the team but again I'm not convinced by him defensively, although I concede it's not his natural game. I called it a while ago and a few people disagreed and thought I was being harsh but if anyone still thinks Petravicius is a footballer then they need their head checked. Absolute humpty the boy, dunno what Maclean has done to Robinson but he surely deserves more minutes than this guy? Or even Newell who's at least shown enough to suggest he's actually a footballer.
Anyway, not too bothered cause top six was already long gone but we have shown these last two games that we're more than capable of competing with anyone in this country on our day- which hopefully bodes well for the Cup Semi coming up which really is the priority for us now.

Give that first half performance and you will absolutely pump us in the Semi Final.

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Why does Greg Docherty care about us?

Does he? Never noticed.

One of those games that I want to be disappointed about but I actually really enjoyed watching. Scottish football has it's strengths and I thought that was like a cup tie today and I'm sure most neutrals would have enjoyed it. 

At the game I was really angry at a couple of opportunities we had at 2-0 as a bit more composure (and luck) would have seen the game over by half time. But other than that, the first half is how I want to see a 'Well team play - we got right in Rangers' faces and they simply didn't fancy it. I thought Cadden had a really good game today (and I haven't really seen anyone else mention it) but Main and Campbell were standouts as they have been most games they've played this season. 

I didn't get a good view of Rangers penalty, so can't comment on it  - but I was mystified why Main didn't get one late on - the challenge seemed to be past the point of acceptable contact in the box and it was one of these (given what had been given already) where I was waiting for the referee to point to the spot. 

Interesting that Murphy got practically no stick (and didn't go over the top in any way after his goal) but massively frustrating that we let him inside for the goal - it's always been his trademark and we more than anyone should know about it. 

Back to back draws against Rangers and Celtic will, when the dust settles, be a timely confidence booster for the team - we needn't have any inferiority complex in the upcoming games against Aberdeen and if we did manage to reach another final, we could be confident of giving either team a game.

Archived