May and June face Peru & Mexico

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Radford said:

Surely Greg Taylor would be better served going with the full squad rather than to Toulon? Especially if the alternative is Lewis Stevenson!

No real issue with that from Killie's point of view - Toulon is much more likely to put him in the shop window (especially if he scores against Brazil again) and is probably better for his career development.

7 hours ago, King Kebab said:

My mistake, but that really doesn't make it any better, it's RB's we're needing, do we need any more LB's, I don't think so, we've three to pick from and probably another two before you get to Stevenson!!!

If McLeish is prepared to give tryouts to 30 year olds, then he can give Bardsley a recall till we find somebody for that position for the next 10 years!!!

It's hard to take your judgement of a player's suitability seriously when you don't know what position a guy with over 400 games in Scottish football plays.

8 hours ago, King Kebab said:

My mistake, but that really doesn't make it any better, it's RB's we're needing, do we need any more LB's, I don't think so, we've three to pick from and probably another two before you get to Stevenson!!!

If McLeish is prepared to give tryouts to 30 year olds, then he can give Bardsley a recall till we find somebody for that position for the next 10 years!!!

It's already been reported that Tierney (played loads of games this season) and Robertson (playing in the UCL final on 26th) won't be going to Peru / Mexico.

They do need somebody to cover Douglas on this trip, so you're basically moaning about who should be the 4th (maybe 5th) choice left back. Greg Taylor is a better bet for the medium to long term, but it probably makes more sense for him to go to Toulon and actually play 3+ games than (most likely) sit on his arse while Douglas plays LB.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's hard to take your judgement of a player's suitability seriously when you don't know what position a guy with over 400 games in Scottish football plays.

It’s also quite hard to take him seriously when every sentence he writes ends with “!!!” or “???”.

Bardsley took the huff at several points and doesn't seem at all interested in playing for Scotland.  f**k him.

As far as I'm aware he's taken the huff/been disappointed once after a non selection, he hasn't been selected since so the rest of your post is conjecture!!!

Aye, good answer!!![emoji849]
It's already been reported that Tierney (played loads of games this season) and Robertson (playing in the UCL final on 26th) won't be going to Peru / Mexico.
They do need somebody to cover Douglas on this trip, so you're basically moaning about who should be the 4th (maybe 5th) choice left back. Greg Taylor is a better bet for the medium to long term, but it probably makes more sense for him to go to Toulon and actually play 3+ games than (most likely) sit on his arse while Douglas plays LB.

Better answer and good points but do you think it's worth taking an uncapped 30 year old who will probably not even make the bench, unless they're able to select the whole squad (which is a probable actually since it's a friendly) but even then is unlikely to play???
Surely options over the age of 21 but younger than 30 would gain more from the "experience" point of view???

26 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Better answer and good points but do you think it's worth taking an uncapped 30 year old who will probably not even make the bench, unless they're able to select the whole squad (which is a probable actually since it's a friendly) but even then is unlikely to play???

Surely options over the age of 21 but younger than 30 would gain more from the "experience" point of view???

I'm not sure that there really is an "in-between" option, at least if you go through the Premiership teams (I can't be arsed going through theScots in England).

• Celtic - Tierney, not available this time. He's covered there by McGregor playing out of position or the young laddie Calvin Miller
  • Aberdeen - Considine or Reynolds, they basically fall into the same category as Stevenson - good pros, but roughly 30 y/o and uncapped. If we play 3-5-2, Stevenson suits the LWB position better than those two, who are converted centre backs. There is an argument for Graeme Shinnie, but he mostly plays midfield now (and may be picked for that position anyway)
  • Rangers - Lee Wallace would probably have been the next in line, but he's been injured most of this season and then got frozen out after their first gubbing off Celtic. Halliday has been filling in as emergency cover.
  • Hibs - Stevenson is the first choice there
  • Killie - Taylor is the first choice, going to Toulon instead
  • Hearts - LB is a disaster zone, the one good player they've had there this year is English (Mitchell)
  • Motherwell - Richard Tait has done okay on the left side, which is the "wrong" side for him.
  • St Johnstone - an English guy (Tanser) has played most of the games there, this year anyway
  • Dundee - left back is either Kevin Holt (no chance) or Basque Jon
  • Accies - Dougie Imrie, who is even older
  • Thistle - Calum Booth, I think he's had some injury problems this year
  • County - again, I think they've been playing an English guy (Melbourne?) there recently

54 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

As far as I'm aware he's taken the huff/been disappointed once after a non selection, he hasn't been selected since so the rest of your post is conjecture!!!

I disagree.  The "f**k him" was most definitely not conjecture.

I'm not sure that there really is an "in-between" option, at least if you go through the Premiership teams (I can't be arsed going through theScots in England).
  • Celtic - Tierney, not available this time. He's covered there by McGregor playing out of position or the young laddie Calvin Miller
  • Aberdeen - Considine or Reynolds, they basically fall into the same category as Stevenson - good pros, but roughly 30 y/o and uncapped. If we play 3-5-2, Stevenson suits the LWB position better than those two, who are converted centre backs. There is an argument for Graeme Shinnie, but he mostly plays midfield now (and may be picked for that position anyway)
  • Rangers - Lee Wallace would probably have been the next in line, but he's been injured most of this season and then got frozen out after their first gubbing off Celtic. Halliday has been filling in as emergency cover.
  • Hearts - LB is a disaster zone, the one good player they've had there this year is English (Mitchell)
  • Motherwell - Richard Tait has done okay on the left side, which is the "wrong" side for him.
  • St Johnstone - an English guy (Tanser) has played most of the games there, this year anyway
  • County - again, I think they've been playing an English guy (Melbourne?) there recently

Good answer!!!
Down south you could have
Liam Cooper at Leeds - although I would hope that he would be selected anyway, he's now a left sided CH but played most of his career at LB
Craig Forsyth at Derby - already got 4 caps not untried.
Joe Bryan at Bristol City - has a great season in the Championship, I remember he got selected for the u21's a couple of years ago and had to withdraw because of a concussion, too old for the u21's now but surely worth a go
Stephen Kingsley at Swansea City - personally think he was our third choice pick until Barry Douglas started to shine.
Stephen Hendrie at Southend United - who I thought has done ok on his loan spell at Motherwell.
And if you want to take youth for the experience you've got George Johnston at Liverpool and Calum McDonald at Derby!!!
McLeish could even make an attempt to bring Matt Targett back into the fold!!! [emoji23]

30 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Joe Bryan (Bristol City). Craig Forsyth (Derby County - could be involved in play-off final).

Others like Stephen Kingsley, but nothing that stands out (unless I'm forgetting someone). 

I disagree.  The "f**k him" was most definitely not conjecture.

Sound bites or GTFO!!![emoji6]

13 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Joe Bryan (Bristol City). Craig Forsyth (Derby County - could be involved in play-off final).

Others like Stephen Kingsley, but nothing that stands out (unless I'm forgetting someone). 

That's an interesting shout. He scored a cracking goal in a cup game v Man Utd. 

Forsyth is in that 29/30 age bracket and looked pretty iffy in the few Scotland games he played before Tierney / Robertson emerged. As you say he could be in the playoff final. I'm not sure why McLeish is (allegedly) naming the squad later today when the English playoffs will affect the availability of a few players (e.g. Tom Cairney).

Kingsley is just back from a long-term injury, didn't play between late September and early April.

5 minutes ago, Widge said:

One natural striker in the squad. emoji23.png

We're not exactly blessed with true centre forwards, in case you hadn't noticed.

Just now, Enigma said:

Glad to see Johnny Russell in the squad.

Thought he became an obvious choice when he scored that hat-trick in an MLS game a few weeks back. Less hassle for him as well (travel / time zone).

Was thinking that Danny Wilson might get picked, for the same reason.

Archived