The Super v Stranraer FC

Well that was dissapointing. Shankand being sent off cost us dear. Fair play to Stranraer though, with a squad made basically of youth players they got a win at the league leaders. 

I thought jamie Adams was very good yesterday altho I don't like him diving when a tiny 17 year old grazes past him. Except from that he was superb,  gives 100% imo. Even in the second half despite having 10 players I thought we were better and  how different it could have been if moore didn't miss the ball for the chance he had just before stranraer went up and got a penalty.

Its still in our hands and I fancy stranraer to give raith a tough game next week. Would be great if you guys could do us a wee favour. Mon ayr

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

That was pretty sickening tbh.

I'm really keen to see the sending off but the ref was right there so I doubt we'll have been hard done by.

After that I thought ayr did OK...considering the situation. We looked reasonably comfortable and actually in the second half I thought we were edging it.

I do agree that Jamie Adams fannies about a bit but he put in a brilliant shift. Ayr motm by a mile I thought.

Folk criticising the manager or tactics today must have ridiculous expectations. I was surprised that moff didn't start but after the sending off it wasn't the game for him.

I'm absolutely gutted.

With the players we have available, most notably the severely depleted defence, I think we will need Raith to drop points to win the league now.  Hope to Christ I’m talking crap.

With the players we have available, most notably the severely depleted defence, I think we will need Raith to drop points to win the league now.  Hope to Christ I’m talking crap.
Surely we have enough next week to get at least a point. That would leave us needing a win in the last game to win the league (against one of the bottom teams).

If we can't get that done we don't deserve to be champions.

A draw yesterday would've been a great result under the circumstances, but we couldn't get over the line. I thought we deserved a draw on the balance of play. But that's football.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Surely we have enough next week to get at least a point. That would leave us needing a win in the last game to win the league (against one of the bottom teams).

A draw yesterday would've been a great result under the circumstances, but we couldn't get over the line. I thought we deserved a draw on the balance of play. But that's football.

We might have managed a draw at least if we didn't invite Stranraer onto us for so long.

We might have managed a draw at least if we didn't invite Stranraer onto us for so long.
We had ten men. You can't dictate play and press high with ten men (well you can but it's much riskier than sitting deep and hitting on the counter).

Throughout the year we've actually struggled to dominate teams - and that's with eleven. Our success has been based on lethal and effective forwards, and most other teams have had their fair share of midfield play and chances.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Did you see the two goals we conceded yesterday? Both came completely out of the blue when we were hardly struggling. Lost count of how many times that happened earlier in the season. If the same team starts as yesterday then who knows what will happen. 

We had ten men. You can't dictate play and press high with ten men (well you can but it's much riskier than sitting deep and hitting on the counter).

Throughout the year we've actually struggled to dominate teams - and that's with eleven. Our success has been based on lethal and effective forwards, and most other teams have had their fair share of midfield play and chances.

In the first half we probably sat far too deep after the red. In the second though, we were much better. The possession stats show that too. Stranraer also struggled after changing their striker which helped.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You don't need to dictate play, Moore was at least 10 yards off their last man for the last 20 or 30 minutes, we're not good enough to play that way.

You don't need to dictate play, Moore was at least 10 yards off their last man for the last 20 or 30 minutes, we're not good enough to play that way.

As a lone striker, Moore was dropping deep to try and link play. I don’t really see what the issue is with that? It worked fine in the second half.

As a lone striker, Moore was dropping deep to try and link play. I don’t really see what the issue is with that? It worked fine in the second half.
I honestly thought we played the right way for a team with ten men.

We let them have the ball in front of us and tried to get up the park with pace when possible. Moore was working hard but it just wasn't working for him.

Thought we made a mistake to begin with bringing on McGuffie instead of McDaid - left us too static in the wide areas.  McDaid is up and down but his pace would have offered a different thread to Forrest.  Moffat should have been brought on earlier as we badly needed his intelligence and link up play.  In the end, we should probably have accepted a point rather than chasing a winner, but we arguably don’t have the players at the moment to close a game down.  If Reid and Geggan are both injured next week, we really have got serious problems. 

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don't think it worked fine, he's 10 yards off our full back looking for the ball, great he's working hard, the full back has next to zero options due to whole team being compressed into a 10 or 15 yard band right across the pitch, even if he gets the ball to Moore where's he going with it.

I honestly thought we played the right way for a team with ten men.

We let them have the ball in front of us and tried to get up the park with pace when possible. Moore was working hard but it just wasn't working for him.

There was still some nice interplay between Crawford, Forrest, Kerr and Moore at times.

McGuffie must be one of the most frustrating players I’ve seen in recent times. Has the ability to be the best player on the park but at times doesn’t even look like a footballer. Does something well, then something atrocious.

12 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Moore wasn't poor today. He was given the thankless task of playing up front by himself while the rest of the team dug in to prevent Stranraer scoring and serviced him with long balls. The only complaint I'd have is that he missed a good chance in the second half at 1-1 but he's scored more than a few goals this season so it's forgivable. Also didn't think Hart did anything wrong today but didn't have much to do apart from a couple of easy saves.

Moffat should've started the game but it certainly wasn't the sort of game he could've came on and made an impact what with very little time on the ball and tackles flying everywhere. 

At the end of the day Shankland getting sent off cost us as I have absolutely no doubts we'd have beaten Stranraer with 11 men on the park. Just hope this wasn't his last game for us as it'd be a bad way to go but the title is still very much in our hands.

4 points minimum and it's over.

remember last game at Somerset when two of our players were red carded due to Adams antics, we would have won that game if they had not been red carded.

remember last game at Somerset when two of our players were red carded due to Adams antics, we would have won that game if had non sent off.

No you wouldn’t have. You’ve been pretty shit in all 4 games we’ve played this season.

You nearly got lucky in the 4-3 game and you finally managed a bit of luck yesterday.

Congratulations.

3 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

No you wouldn’t have. You’ve been pretty shit in all 4 games we’ve played this season.

You nearly got lucky in the 4-3 game and you finally managed a bit of luck yesterday.

Congratulations.

1-2 super ayr.

Archived