Cove v Spartans / Spartans v Cove

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Any football fan that believes in 'natural levels' tends to be a complete cretin or an Old Firm fan (or commonly both). Which one do you fall under?

"Natural levels" change during a clubs history for the most part we have been a bottom league side had a decade in the top flight in the 20-30s then in 70-71 and apart from then only had 1 season out of the bottom league in 92-93.

Since the turn of the century we have flirted between D2 and D3 through out the noughties then in the last decade have of course only spent 3 seasons in the bottom league with 4 in the championsip with a few in D2/L1.

At the end of the day most of the traditional lower league sides have spent more time at the bottom of the pile but have had their days in the sun with spells further up.

You can argue the only 2 sides in Scotland who have a natural level are Celtic and Aberdeen who have never been out of the top flight. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Neither actually but if you are claiming you can’t compete financially with every other club in the league (Scottish league 2 mind) then you are clearly not at the correct level or your club is extremely shoddily run.

A decade ago your club was more or less in the same boat as us taking the hit of 2 relegation's from the 1st division after your CVA ( a route we have never needed to go down) so could have easily been out of the league if the pyramid had been around, lucky for you you would have been able to put poor sides out on the park as you sorted the finances out knowing your league place would be safe.

A decade ago your club was more or less in the same boat as us taking the hit of 2 relegation's from the 1st division after your CVA ( a route we have never needed to go down) so could have easily been out of the league if the pyramid had been around, lucky for you you would have been able to put poor sides out on the park as you sorted the finances out knowing your league place would be safe.

We only finished bottom once in that period, as you say we were fortunate no pyramid was in place.

However, Cowdenbeath have regressed from finishing last season, finishing last again with an even more pathetic points total. Claiming £135K is needed to keep the club alive when in reality it’s to try and sustain a league place. The facilities at Central Park are atrocious. There is not much of an argument to say you belong or should stay at this level.

I hope Cowdenbeath sort themselves out in the lowland league and come back stronger but if they don’t it’s only fair they are replaced by progressive clubs that can compete at league 2 level.

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

We only finished bottom once in that period, as you say we were fortunate no pyramid was in place.

However, Cowdenbeath have regressed from finishing last season, finishing last again with an even more pathetic points total. Claiming £135K is needed to keep the club alive when in reality it’s to try and sustain a league place. The facilities at Central Park are atrocious. There is not much of an argument to say you belong or should stay at this level.

I hope Cowdenbeath sort themselves out in the lowland league and come back stronger but if they don’t it’s only fair they are replaced by progressive clubs that can compete at league 2 level.

Never said we belong at any level if we end up in the LL so be it.

Having led 3-0 and 4-1 at points tonight Vale of Leithen ultimately drew 4-4 with Cumbernauld. Short of beating Dalbeattie by 9 goals on Saturday they'll finish 2nd bottom of LL, and as such, an interesting 'footnote' to the Cove-Cowdenbeath playoff is that if Cowdenbeath are relegated so are Vale.

So in effect Cowdenbeath and are playing for their and Vale's survival, and Cove's hoped-for promotion would relegate both of them.

19 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

"Natural levels" change during a clubs history

Exactly I prefer to use the word current rather than natural.

19 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

You can argue the only 2 sides in Scotland who have a natural level are Celtic and Aberdeen who have never been out of the top flight. 

Would discount Aberdeen as they've survived twice due to other factors despite finishing bottom.

48 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Exactly I prefer to use the word current rather than natural.

Would discount Aberdeen as they've survived twice due to other factors despite finishing bottom.

Factors that everyone knew before the season started. Not our fault clubs refused to comply with the rules.

Clyde fans talking about natural level?
clydes level is lower than a snakes belly min!

If you need the buckets out and lies about £135K to stay alive just to compete at League 2 level then you don’t really belong here.

Enjoy Selkirk and good luck keeping cove to single digits.

5 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

If you need the buckets out and lies about £135K to stay alive just to compete at League 2 level then you don’t really belong here.

Enjoy Selkirk and good luck keeping cove to single digits.

Who’s Lennon looking to sign next, Oscar Pistorios?

We did learn, it’s just we do not have the finances to compete at any level at the moment. Every time we drop down a League we have less money than the teams we are up against. Hence the struggle after struggle since we dropped out the Championship. No easy fix apart from the Club 135 initiative currently ongoing. I fear for the future unless something changes in our circumstances.
How can you not have the finances? You had Hearts. Hibs and Rangers in your league plus the Championship with Pars play off before, where did it all go?

Just a few of those games would match our attendances for a season

How can you not have the finances? You had Hearts. Hibs and Rangers in your league plus the Championship with Pars play off before, where did it all go?

Don't expect an answer from the Cowdenbeath fans. The same question has been asked multiple times on the save Cowdenbeath thread and has still not been answered.

Perhaps someone can confirm; but is there not an issue with the play offs that the clubs don’t actually “profit” from them and the League  take the revenue after costs?

I seem to remember that being said at one of the AGM’s after our last play off. I might be making this up but as I  seem to remember and was surprised at the time

Can't speak for the L2 playoffs in particular, but when we've been involved further up the tree, the spfl took a huge wedge, 50% I think, before costs were even accounted for.

This subsidised the parachute payment for an incompetent relegated club. If no one was relegated it went back into the overall prize pot.

Something similar exist lower down ?

It was basically spewed on wages trying to stay in the Championship.

4 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Perhaps someone can confirm; but is there not an issue with the play offs that the clubs don’t actually “profit” from them and the League  take the revenue after costs?

I seem to remember that being said at one of the AGM’s after our last play off. I might be making this up but as I  seem to remember and was surprised at the time

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Can't speak for the L2 playoffs in particular, but when we've been involved further up the tree, the spfl took a huge wedge, 50% I think, before costs were even accounted for.

This subsidised the parachute payment for an incompetent relegated club. If no one was relegated it went back into the overall prize pot.

Something similar exist lower down ?

After the home club takes 15% for costs, SPFL deducts half the gate in Premiership playoffs, to offset parachute payment(s).

Otherwise there are no parachutes (except relegated SPFL2 paid by SFA) and no deductions.

11 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Over 3 years since any of those games and he crowds weren’t that big.

however, it was all spent(and more) during the following season by Jimmy  Nichol who thought he was still at Man Utd I think.

Archived