The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If you take away penalties it might not be as good. However means nothing now. I would imagine he’ll be back fit and be as good as how he started last year.

The best thing for him is a long rest and a good pre-season. He was completely burnt out with us last season.

It’s Dundee Uniteds league to lose now.

Really bizarre decision from Shankland. . Three years may be a nightmare for the lad if he wants to go up a level. United certainly not a shoe in for promotion. He could find himself a Championship player for some time.

But I wish him well and hope it works out for him

2 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Really bizarre decision from Shankland. . Three years may be a nightmare for the lad if he wants to go up a level. United certainly not a shoe in for promotion. He could find himself a Championship player for some time.

But I wish him well and hope it works out for him

I'm surprised he's gone to DUFC however good luck to him.

I hope he plays well but obviously not against us.

Do Dundee United have a Michael Moffat ??? Provider of the majority of Shanklands goals , best of luck to him , we only need to worry about him 4 times this season 

No other team in this league has a linking striker like Moffat.

Just now, Robbo63 said:

Do Dundee United have a Michael Moffat ??? Provider of the majority of Shanklands goals , best of luck to him , we only need to worry about him 4 times this season 

They lost Sanfranco , so glad him and Shankland are not in same team , that could have been some partnership 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

No other team in this league has a linking striker like Moffat.

I think Dundee United might just have signed one.

This is an obvious risk but even in the second half of the season he had a respectable goal return and was better than most of the strikers in the league.

It was only by the amazing standards he’d set in the first half of the season that made him look really poor.

True, and perhaps with all the speculation there were other factors. Time will tell if he can play well away from Ayr though, and I’m very surprised he’s chosen Dundee Utd considering the other clubs he was linked with (you can bugger off with that ‘big club’ chat when you’ve spent 3 years in the Scottish Champ).

That said, he’d be going somewhere with guaranteed game time and a fairly good chance of promotion and the Yankee dollar won’t be bad. Again, if he shows the same form in the 1st half of the season then he’ll be offski and Dundee Utd have made a tidy sum for feck all.

The risk for both club and player is that if he has a dip in form he may go into his shell and I’m not so sure if Neilson or the Arab fans would be as patient? If he can fit into their system rather than building a team to play around him, Neilson will have done a good bit of business but he is the epitome of a confidence player.

For me, it’s hard not to feel disappointment that he’s at another Championship club as ultimately he’s not improved his level (bigger wage, team with a far higher chance of promotion, granted) as he’ll be playing against the same teams as he did before in the same league. Yes, bigger picture probably came into it too with the length of contract and chances of promotion but money talks I feel.

Another thing to look at, is look at how many players have we developed that are now at ‘bigger’ clubs than before we got them. Shankland, Rose, Crawford, McDaid (arguably Smith but we were all surprised he was available) and even Devlin. It shows that we are a club that can develop young talent and so must be an attractive option to young players recently released from Premiership clubs and to teams looking to loan players out. This undoubtedly has to be our business model, but I would dearly love us to get to a point where we aren’t a feeder club.

Good luck to Shanks, it’s a risk for club and player, but he was a great player for Ayr. I’ll give him abuse, but not any more than I would any other opposition player.

Extremely disappointed by this for Shankland and makes us look like idiots. He's going to have a lot of questions to answer now as to why his 'big move' has gone tits up. Imagine McCall will be fizzing with him.

My love for him has completely gone now he's signed for those wanks. Still, will make it all the funnier when they fail to get promoted for another season.

Big Jamie Adams to snap him in half, yes please.

Extremely disappointed by this for Shankland and makes us look like idiots. He's going to have a lot of questions to answer now as to why his 'big move' has gone tits up. Imagine McCall will be fizzing with him.

My love for him has completely gone now he's signed for those wanks. Still, will make it all the funnier when they fail to get promoted for another season.

It doesn't make you look like idiots at all.

He's signed for a bigger club getting much more money, its no slight on Ayr whatsoever

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

It doesn't make you look like idiots at all.

He's signed for a bigger club getting much more money, its no slight on Ayr whatsoever

An Arbroath fan talking about big clubs. Dearie me. 

Big Jamie Adams to snap him in half, yes please.

Why does it make us look like idiots?

Folk acting as if Dundee Utd are our rivals and he’s betrayed us is complete nonsense tbh.

It’s his job at the end of the day so let him just get on with it.