The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Kerrs interview is probably more worrying than the result. “A one off game” was his war cry. No mention of the horror defending, just that it’s a cup match. 

He doesn't exactly reek of charisma when it comes to his Interviews, not too sure if that's down to his lack of experience or just his lack of lips.  

In saying that during the "one off" comment, he also said it would've been a one off if we won.   

My worry from his interview is that  he said we put out an attacking formation  and didn’t register a single SHOT which is most unusual, but I agree the cup was a free hit which we nearly blew anyway against Stranraer, and the league is more important, lots of poor performances today too many to mention, also getting really concerned about Walsh probably cost the most to get and contributing zero.

45 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment. The bold bit is entirely subjective and not a fact. My pedantry is in overdrive after that performance. It also undermines your point imo.

There’s certainly no one anywhere close to Smith so far, that’s most definitely a fact!

57 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This really is unfair, Reading has been steady and consistently good in every match I've seen him this season. Yes, today was a shocker from the entire team, however a gross overreaction as usual.

You’ve been watching different games from me.  Reading looks worryingly one paced for a full back, has offered nothing in an an attacking sense, has no physical presence at set pieces and consistently seems to misjudge high balls.  Leaving aside the howler against Morton, he was continually caught underneath punts up the park against Dundee.  I’m still optimistic he might develop (he’s no where near the standard Harvie was at the sane stage) but at the moment he’s very much part of the problem and not the solution.

6 minutes ago, HMIP said:

You’ve been watching different games from me.  Reading looks worryingly one paced for a full back, has offered nothing in an an attacking sense, has no physical presence at set pieces and consistently seems to misjudge high balls.  Leaving aside the howler against Morton, he was continually caught underneath punts up the park against Dundee.  I’m still optimistic he might develop (he’s no where near the standard Harvie was at the sane stage) but at the moment he’s very much part of the problem and not the solution.

Harvie was like a headless chicken when he first came to the club and his disciplinary record was also shocking, Yes, he did show in flashes what he could do, however I'd say Reading is way ahead in terms of development at this stage of his Ayr career.

Reading was actually decent in the air against Dundee and recall him winning numerous headers and being solid otherwise. 

I can remember him getting caught underneath one long ball but given the swirling wind can forgive that. 

Everyone obviously needs to step it up from tkdsy. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Harvie was like a headless chicken when he first came to the club and his disciplinary record was also shocking, Yes, he did show in flashes what he could do, however I'd say Reading is way ahead in terms of development at this stage of his Ayr career.

Not so.  He started strongly then picked up 2 daft red cards that torpedoed his confidence for quite a long period.  He was a faster, stronger player than Reading from the get go.  Reading looks like yet another player who has spent far too long being cosseted in a youth development structure when he should have been gaining real competitive experience against full grown men.

Strange as it may sound, I think our two best performances of the season have been the away games at Inverness & Morton as we at least had a semblance of control in those matches.

Our other games have seemed disjointed with little to no control in the midfield, fortunately it was still enough to see us over the line against Queens and Dundee but the actual playing style / lack of, is probably my biggest concern but hopefully that will come as people tend to forget that we have replaced over 50% of our team.

49 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

My point is that people are wildly overreacting to what was, granted, a totally terrible day and performance from us.

I'd say we're missing a Doc type player just to sit in front of the defence as we seem to have too many forward type luxury players and not enough "roll the sleeves up and scrap" types but who knows ?

What I do know is that with a couple of wins on the trot and most of the negative stuff will be forgotten, well, for a week or two maybe......... 

I knew what your point was and I don't disagree. Calls for Kerrs head are very premature. Its actually testament to how far we've come, a lot of us (myself included) would have taken 8th place in the Championship in 2018/19. 

The next three games are big, if we get 7 points I expect this cup game will be long forgotten.

Consistency seems to be a big issue, we don't seem to be able to churn out two good performances in a row. I'm also not sure the manager knows our best 11. 

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There’s certainly no one anywhere close to Smith so far, that’s most definitely a fact!

No doubt Smith has been a good performer as has McCowan (other than his red card against Queens) as has Moffat. Whether Walsh is one of our best two players remains to be seen. We've barely seen him so it's totally unreasonable to put him in that bracket imo.

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Not so.  He started strongly then picked up 2 daft red cards that torpedoed his confidence for quite a long period.  He was a faster, stronger player than Reading from the get go.  Reading looks like yet another player who has spent far too long being cosseted in a youth development structure when he should have been gaining real competitive experience against full grown men.

They're completely different types and Reading looks more of a solid defender to me but nowhere near Harvie in terms of attacking prowess and pace.

When I mentioned disciplinary, I was meaning all his stupid petulant bookings which he picked up regularly and needlessly most of the time.

If that’s not a blueprint for what Ayr United should be doing, I don’t know what is.

Livi’s high energy, high tempo suffocated us today. They defend & attack as a complete unit. They don’t have as much of an advantage in personnel as that scoreline & performance would suggest.

A well drilled, highly motivated side. We should have similar expectations at the very least.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
36 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Other than the fact that it isn't a fact, you're spot on.

If it’s proven over the season I’ll be claiming it as a fact!

I'm not really buying this "one off" or "we've only lost 2 games ffs" pish.

We've been shite all season so far IMO, only masked by the fact the quality in the championship is garbage and seemingly getting worse.

And the biggest point is we are not learning from our mistakes and stopping them happening again, THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM and that lies at Mark Kerr.

First game of the season we should never have beat QOS, would have been lucky to say we deserved a draw, they were comical at defending set pieces and we had worldie saves from Sinisalo to win it for us. 

We then had what was a solid point away to Inverness however should really been a win if it wasn't for park the bus tactics inviting pressure on ourselves. 

Then there was the complete arse collapse at Morton which was unacceptable, a horrendous draw against Dunfermline which if they'd been at the races they'd of beaten us easily.

A woeful scrape by Stranraer followed where like today we should have been 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes but somehow salvaged it and then last weeks win which actually looking back on it, Dundee missed a sitter and we reverted to negative tactics the minute we went 2-0 up which meant they could have sneaked a draw.

Then today, the worse of them all. 

Main themes from that are 1. Inconsistency & 2. Two games where we never get going and get punished and two games where we chuck it away at the end.

This team is all over the place with results and performances which shows no sign of improving even though Kerr said after Dundee we had to go on a run, we've done the complete opposite.

This lies at the managers door and he's lost his 1st strike today, no win next week and his 2nd will be gone leaving him with 1 left before he should be punted IMO. We're only 4 points ahead of 8th and couple of loses could leave you at the wrong end. A shortened season leaves Cameron and Co with even less time to play with, if sacking isn't the option he needs an experienced head alongside him and McCardle (Peter Houston for example)

We've a brilliant squad (defence questionable) but clearly not being utilised well enough, never had performances like that today under McCall, Kerr needs to start being more basic and stop treating it like football manager with the other thinking tactics IMO.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH 

RANT OVER

PS Very pissed off Ayr United supporter

Edited by rb123!

Without patrionising yous.I was shocked at the scoreline so early.Most so called pundits had this down as a potential banana skin for Livingston. 15 minutes of madness blew that out of the water..In fact your goalkeeper kept the scoreline respectable. Weve more important aspirations than this cup.Probly a while the next time i get back to Somerset but i genuinely hope you guys have a go at the playoffs this season.Good luck

Livi.🦁 

41 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I'm not really buying this "one off" or "we've only lost 2 games ffs" pish.

We've been shite all season so far IMO, only masked by the fact the quality in the championship is garbage and seemingly getting worse.

And the biggest point is we are not learning from our mistakes and stopping them happening again, THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM and that lies at Mark Kerr.

First game of the season we should never have beat QOS, would have been lucky to say we deserved a draw, they were comical at defending set pieces and we had worldie saves from Sinisalo to win it for us. 

We then had what was a solid point away to Inverness however should really been a win if it wasn't for park the bus tactics inviting pressure on ourselves. 

Then there was the complete arse collapse at Morton which was unacceptable, a horrendous draw against Dunfermline which if they'd been at the races they'd of beaten us easily.

A woeful scrape by Stranraer followed where like today we should have been 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes but somehow salvaged it and then last weeks win which actually looking back on it, Dundee missed a sitter and we reverted to negative tactics the minute we went 2-0 up which meant they could have sneaked a draw.

Then today, the worse of them all. 

Main themes from that are 1. Inconsistency & 2. Two games where we never get going and get punished and two games where we chuck it away at the end.

This team is all over the place with results and performances which shows no sign of improving even though Kerr said after Dundee we had to go on a run, we've done the complete opposite.

This lies at the managers door and he's lost his 1st strike today, no win next week and his 2nd will be gone leaving him with 1 left before he should be punted IMO. We're only 4 points ahead of 8th and couple of loses could leave you at the wrong end. A shortened season leaves Cameron and Co with even less time to play with, if sacking isn't the option he needs an experienced head alongside him and McCardle (Peter Houston for example)

We've a brilliant squad (defence questionable) but clearly not being utilised well enough, never had performances like that today under McCall, Kerr needs to start being more basic and stop treating it like football manager with the other thinking tactics IMO.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH 

RANT OVER

PS Very pissed off Ayr United supporter

Much of what you say is correct, however we need a hint of realism here, we're not Bayern Munich we're a mid table 2nd tier Scottish club with no money and little support (none at all at the moment), so 4th in the league is honestly a pretty decent position plus we've only lost one league game and are unbeaten at home, not to mention we topped our league cup group.

Is that REALLY the sort of form that gets a Manager sacked ??  I'd certainly hope not.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate that we're not playing particularly well but as an Ayr fan for over 35 years I'd say we're doing as well if not better than at any other time in my life and every other era has had much worse times and indeed performances and results than today.

As for the Peter Houston comment, I'm pretty sure that particular "messiah" has been found out once or twice elsewhere and may in fact turn out to be a false prophet !!

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Much of what you say is correct, however we need a hint of realism here, we're not Bayern Munich we're a mid table 2nd tier Scottish club with no money and little support (none at all at the moment), so 4th in the league is honestly a pretty decent position plus we've only lost one league game and are unbeaten at home, not to mention we topped our league cup group.

Is that REALLY the sort of form that gets a Manager sacked ??  I'd certainly hope not.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate that we're not playing particularly well but as an Ayr fan for over 35 years I'd say we're doing as well if not better than at any other time in my life and every other era has had much worse times and indeed performances and results than today.

As for the Peter Houston comment, I'm pretty sure that particular "messiah" has been found out once or twice elsewhere and may in fact turn out to be a false prophet !!

I can see where you're coming from however i'd say we've been fortunate in last 2 games to beat Dundee and draw with Dunfermline, next 3 games before Hearts are massive, Alloa and Arbroath away with Raith at home. A couple of losses there and things won't be looking too rosy IMO. 

Houston was merely just a suggestion due to Falkirk link and he seems to be having a good impact at Scotland U21's. 

Did the boy Sinisalo have a bad game today? He's getting pelters on SRE with likes of send him back to Villa, however also seen someone on there tonight claim that Doohan was hopeless.....

21 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I can see where you're coming from however i'd say we've been fortunate in last 2 games to beat Dundee and draw with Dunfermline, next 3 games before Hearts are massive, Alloa and Arbroath away with Raith at home. A couple of losses there and things won't be looking too rosy IMO. 

Houston was merely just a suggestion due to Falkirk link and he seems to be having a good impact at Scotland U21's. 

Did the boy Sinisalo have a bad game today? He's getting pelters on SRE with likes of send him back to Villa, however also seen someone on there tonight claim that Doohan was hopeless.....

He made a few excellent saves or it could have been much worse, nobody played well though as we just couldn't get into it at all, in fairness the game was over at the 10 min mark and you got the impression that they all just chucked the towel in which just isn't acceptable.

You could actually be right about an older guiding hand not being a bad shout, in fact it's increasingly looking like we're missing the coaching ability of Sandy Stewart......