The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Feel a bit sorry for Kerr in that most of his signings looked decent on paper, but basically none of them have so far worked out properly for one reason or another (the keeper has been pretty decent if a bit flappy).  Miller never really made sense as a player who had been converted into a league 1 standard right back because he wasn’t a league 1 standard midfielder.  Zanatta was a gamble as he seems to have lost interest since being released by Hearts.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t have argued with any of the signings.  But there lack of success, coupled with the last minute loss of Bell, Murdoch’s struggles to find any consistent form and the mysterious disappearance of Houston have left us in a tight spot.  Drinan back would be very welcome to say the least.

Edited by HMIP

Does Andy Murdoch not fit the bill? As you say we already have sone good players on paper but it would be interesting to know why it’s not working out on the park 
Murdoch has never struck me as a captain type. We definitely need someone with a big personality on the pitch, and we've lacked that for a while.
Feel a bit sorry for Kerr in that most of his signings looked decent on paper, but basically none of them have so far worked out properly for one reason or another (the keeper has been pretty decent if a bit flappy).  Miller never really made sense as a player who had been converted into a league 1 standard right back because he wasn’t a league 1 standard midfielder.  Zanatta was a gamble as he seems to have lost interest since being released by Hearts.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t have argued with any of the signings.  But there lack of success, coupled with the last minute loss of Bell, Murdoch’s struggles to find any consistent form and the mysterious disappearance of Houston have left us in a tight spot.  Drinan back would be very welcome to say the least.
That's a very good summing up of the situation.

19 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Good post, Houston is a strange one. He hasn't looked even half the player of last year. He barely gets a cross in and when he does it invariable skelps off the first man. Muirhead has looked more effective at right back which in itself is a bit of an indictment of Houston.

Murdoch is coming along but he's not the force he was. I think with the injury it will take some time for him to get back to his best. I also think being partnered with one speed Chalmers means that Murdoch has a lot of the pitch to cover.

Given the noises from Mark & Mick I think we can expect some additions in January. For me its the spine of the team - new centre mid (no nonsense chopper); new centre forward (who can lead the line and hold the ball up) and an experienced centre half. Experience is a must in the middle of the park and defense. 

Edited by Trogdor

53 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Good post, Houston is a strange one. He hasn't looked even half the player of last year. He barely gets a cross in and when he does it invariable skelps off the first man. Muirhead has looked more effective at right back which in itself is a bit of an indictment of Houston.

Murdoch is coming along but he's not the force he was. I think with the injury it will take some time for him to get back to his best. I also think being partnered with one speed Chalmers means that Murdoch has a lot of the pitch to cover.

Given the noises from Mark & Mick I think we can expect some additions in January. For me its the spine of the team - new centre mid (no nonsense chopper); new centre forward (who can lead the line and hold the ball up) and an experienced centre half. Experience is a must in the middle of the park and defense. 

I think on the Houston situation he has not fully recovered from the injury he got pre season and was still a bit behind on his fitness  , I am sure Kerr said in an interview recently that this was the case 

First off, Happy New Year to everyone and let's hope it's a good one both on and off the park !!

On the subject of signings, I've still got very high hopes for Tom Walsh as at the time of his signing thought we were getting one of the best players in this division and now injury free, he can hopefully prove this.

Cammy Smith has also been a success in my book, he's looked dangerous and has been unplayable at times, so assuming we get his contract extended, I for one am really looking forward to seeing him and Walsh playing together.

Sinisalo has also been pretty good I'd say and can't see how we'd realistically improve on him with the exception of getting Ross back. Patrick Reading has also been pretty solid and reliable for the most part and although completely different from Harvie, I firmly believe there's a player in there.

I feel Baird has done ok but as he was coming from a Premiership side with a big reputation has perhaps not been as commanding as I'd have expected.

Other than this, I'd agree that Chalmers, Miller, Zanatta and Anderson have all been rather underwhelming but then again they've only played a handful of games and maybe we're all hoping for a bit much thinking they'll all automatically settle in and hit top form in what's an almost entire new team almost immediately ??

Who knows, maybe some of these players have been victims of the system we're playing and in the case of Miller and Zanatta they've maybe not been given enough game time but then again both were undoubtedly brought in as squad players as opposed to first team definite starters so maybe not bad to have in your pool as cover ??

Anyway, if we can bring a couple of guys in and string a few wins / good performances together then I'm sure 2021 will indeed be a better year for us all !!

14 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Does Andy Murdoch not fit the bill? As you say we already have sone good players on paper but it would be interesting to know why it’s not working out on the park 

If he did why isn't he doing it now? Even without an armband, you would think if you had those qualities that the team is crying out for you would be doing it anyway?

10 hours ago, honestly united said:

If he did why isn't he doing it now? Even without an armband, you would think if you had those qualities that the team is crying out for you would be doing it anyway?

That’s my point. There appears to something not quite right behind the scenes at the moment. Is signing new players the solution? If we could get some of our current players back firing then we would do a lot better 

Had he stayed Harvie would have been ideal as the next captain as on the pitch he was up for a battle and also a good talker.

Watching the current team they appear quite quiet although It's possible this is just how it appears on TV since you don't pick up as much as when we're actually at the games.

Young inexperienced managers do not like signing experienced captain material player's, they become easy options for chairman when results go pear shaped, tbf Cameron will be nowhere near panicking, who knows about Smith though .

3 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

Watching the current team they appear quite quiet although It's possible this is just how it appears on TV since you don't pick up as much as when we're actually at the games.

Yeah, it certainly seems like that. @itzdrk @wuffster How vocal are the team relative to last seasons team? Tough question as without the background noise of the crowd they could sound louder in the flesh tbf in an empty Somerset.

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

Young inexperienced managers do not like signing experienced captain material player's, they become easy options for chairman when results go pear shaped, 

I'm not sure that's the case. The ones who fail (maybe!) as their own ego or insecurity may get in the way. However, any successful side usually has at least one or two auld heeds. Irrespecitve of the manager's age or experience.

This team is absolutely going to end up in a relegation battle unless change is made soon. Performances are abysmal and not really sure what style of play Kerr is trying to introduce with this team but it's certainly not working.
The team is gutless and has no fight but should be making up for it in other areas because imo we actually have a decent squad. Also worrying that there seems to be some unrest in the dressing room with Anderson going back to Aberdeen. One thing that is clear is that Cameron's lack of ambition and choice of appointing a rookie manager has back fired once again (who'd have thought after Roberts). Kerr needs to go before we end up back in league 1 which is an utterly depressing thought.

There is absolutely no way we are staying up this season that I can see.  We have better players than some of the other teams down the bottom but the only one with zero heart / guts.    Elgin an absolute cert to beat us next week.