The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Had McCall stayed last season I’m not sure he’d have done much better than Kerr. We always started the season well and then we’d gradually get worse and he bailed on us before it could happen again.

I did compare the first 18 games against the final 18 games in each of McCall’s four full seasons and we were worse in the second half of every season. The worst was 18/19 when in the first 18 games our PPG was 2 and in the following 18 games it was 1.

Unfortunately for Kerr his managerial career has only been during the months of Oct-Mar so he’s not been able to benefit as much from a decent playing surface however the style of play he has adopted has not exactly been a great watch.

Re Last Few : I doubt very much if Mark Kerr is anywhere near getting heaved . Firstly we are mid table in the Championship . Ayr United’s chop the manager zone is bottom of League One .Secondly I have the feeling the board will support him in the window . I think the new age young manager , a thinking mans type if you like , has far from run it’s course . This brings me to my next observation , just finished watching his last two post match interviews , it struck me , the players maybe too young , immature or just plain thick to get Kerr and his hunger to do well and the methods , mainly tactical , he wants to use to get there . He can’t be described as a motivational leader like McLeod or McCall ... some of the players might just need motivated ! This is a common issue in others walks of life . The troops can’t get their leader or understand the plan or the bigger picture .  This is an easy problem to solve , a middle man on the management team needs to be recruited , one that can still play would be even better . Hopefully Kerr see’s this and brings in the brass knuckles required  to make these wee boys do their jobs .

I’m sure Hughes is a good coach but it’s pretty much accepted that when it comes to recruitment he’s fucking awful. It’s also hard not to dislike the man when you hear him talk. Seems to be all about him and what he’s achieved.
Bumped into Yogi one day when I was out for a run and he was walking the dog. Stopped and chatted for ages and I just can't understand the dislike folk seem to have for him.

28 minutes ago, North British said:

Re Last Few : I doubt very much if Mark Kerr is anywhere near getting heaved . Firstly we are mid table in the Championship . Ayr United’s chop the manager zone is bottom of League One .Secondly I have the feeling the board will support him in the window . I think the new age young manager , a thinking mans type if you like , has far from run it’s course . This brings me to my next observation , just finished watching his last two post match interviews , it struck me , the players maybe too young , immature or just plain thick to get Kerr and his hunger to do well and the methods , mainly tactical , he wants to use to get there . He can’t be described as a motivational leader like McLeod or McCall ... some of the players might just need motivated ! This is a common issue in others walks of life . The troops can’t get their leader or understand the plan or the bigger picture .  This is an easy problem to solve , a middle man on the management team needs to be recruited , one that can still play would be even better . Hopefully Kerr see’s this and brings in the brass knuckles required  to make these wee boys do their jobs .

Think you've got a point here. As a new manager I'm sure he's got grand ambitions about how he wants to play etc, but not having any managerial experience the reality is setting in that he is managing in the Championship and not La Liga. Not saying there's no place for his methods but he has to find the right balance between that and, dare I say, McCall's method of keeping it simple and putting a rocket up them when needed.

26 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I would rather get relegated with Kerr in charge than have that man anywhere near the club. He’s made his bed. 

^This, I'm grateful for what he achieved with us but I think we were reaching the maximum of where he could take us. Also, the manner in which he left then started tapping up our players was a little off. 

43 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

I did compare the first 18 games against the final 18 games in each of McCall’s four full seasons and we were worse in the second half of every season. The worst was 18/19 when in the first 18 games our PPG was 2 and in the following 18 games it was 1.

100% correct.

16/17 must have been awful as well, I know we got relegated but did we not have an 18 game (It maybe wasn't quite 18 but couldn't have been far off!) barren spell without a win.

33 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

100% correct.

16/17 must have been awful as well, I know we got relegated but did we not have an 18 game (It maybe wasn't quite 18 but couldn't have been far off!) barren spell without a win.

In terms of a drop in performances 15/16 was worse where as in 16/17 we were consistently terrible.

You were close, we had 15 games without a win in the league until we beat Raith (Stevo as GK game) and also finished without a win in 7 that season.

image.png.7161c6c56bf4e2b42f8734aa6cedde8a.png

19 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

In terms of a drop in performances 15/16 was worse where as in 16/17 we were consistently terrible.

You were close, we had 15 games without a win in the league until we beat Raith (Stevo as GK game) and also finished without a win in 7 that season.

image.png.7161c6c56bf4e2b42f8734aa6cedde8a.png

Thats true, we were woeful throughout 2016/17. 15 league games that is truly awful and still we weren't far off staying up. Bizarre.

I hadn't appreciated how significant the drop in our results between the 1st half and 2nd half of the season were. I obviously lived it but its quite stark, particularly in 18/19 as you said - where we got half the number of points. Ouch!

Hopefully this is a trend Kerr can reverse in this truncated season. 👍

Am I misremembering or were our best periods under McCall when John Henry and Sandy Stewart were on the coaching staff?
Obviously McCall brought a certain type of person in to the club and presumably did that with the managerial experience/talent he has.
I also wonder if we're seeing this play out a little at Partick at the moment.

Am I misremembering or were our best periods under McCall when John Henry and Sandy Stewart were on the coaching staff?
Obviously McCall brought a certain type of person in to the club and presumably did that with the managerial experience/talent he has.
I also wonder if we're seeing this play out a little at Partick at the moment.

Aye McCall has openly admitted he does zero of the coaching work and usually leaves it to 2 others.

Scally clearly worked well as a go between as he was apparently well liked by the players but we had our best periods when we had an experienced coach on board as well. We didn’t have that in 16/17 and McCall doesn’t have that now.

Doesn’t mean to say Kerr needs this. Plenty young managers get by without an older head beside him.

Going back to the Hughes thing, I’ve not particularly understood the dislike of him either.

Obviously a large part of that is down to managing a shambolic Raith team where he had to manage wasters like Bobby Barr and his best player was papped out on loan.

He is often unfairly labelled a dinosaur, whereas if you listen to him speak for ten seconds it’s clear he isn’t. The anti laptop brigade might not be a fan though! 

I think he’s a good manager,  who would have been a good fit for us in terms of style of play and it will be interesting how he does at County. 

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I noticed livi’s game was off tonight for a frozen pitch, how can an Astro pitch freeze? Seems to me that it wouldn’t be as adventitious as it’s made out to be! 

Because the idiots watered it and that froze. 

I listened to his post match interviews at Raith and he most certainly sounded like a dinosaur, as well as a bit of a head case.

Going back to the Hughes thing, I’ve not particularly understood the dislike of him either.
Obviously a large part of that is down to managing a shambolic Raith team where he had to manage wasters like Bobby Barr and his best player was papped out on loan.
He is often unfairly labelled a dinosaur, whereas if you listen to him speak for ten seconds it’s clear he isn’t. The anti laptop brigade might not be a fan though! 
I think he’s a good manager,  who would have been a good fit for us in terms of style of play and it will be interesting how he does at County. 

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I listened to his post match interviews at Raith and he most certainly sounded like a dinosaur, as well as a bit of a head case.

Don’t know exactly what he said, other than losing the plot towards the end. 

However utilises sports science, data analysis, analyses opponents, hands on tactical and technical coaching. Might fail miserably at County but definitely not a dinosaur. 

Edited by No_Problemo

12 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

It's all that bloody social media's fault! 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Don’t know exactly what he said, other than losing the plot towards the end. 

However utilises sports science, data analysis, analyses opponents, hands on tactical and technical coaching. Might fail miserably at County but definitely not a dinosaur. 

Dinosaur types can embrace change and technology

I give you Alan Sugar.